LegacyGT.com

poll: What oil are you using and what change interval?

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe the part # is not the same because the engine oil filter has "engine" written on it and the transmission filter has "transmission" written on it. Otherwise, I believe the construction is probably the same. On Amsoil's site, it recommends the same filter for both the engine oil and transmission fluid.

Yeah I wasn't gonna stick a $50 blue fram (or wal-mart fram) one on there. This one didn't say tranny clearly like the one pictured on FBP thats why I asked. If I used the factory $7 qt subaru fill I could just change it out every 4 oil changes if it was that serious. Thank god this wasn't GT-R tranny fluid!

I'm surprised blackstone hasn't gotten back to you yet. Mailing from PA to IN shouldn't take very long, and blackstone usually has quick turnaround after they get the sample.

This is random, but in follow-up to a bet I made with Unclemat about 9 months ago, I ran Castrol GTX 10w30 for 3500 miles and sent in a sample to Blackstone to see if it sheared down a grade (thereby showing whether or not a solid dino was capable of holding it's viscosity in our cars over the recommended interval).

Sample sent in 8 days ago, just waiting for the results.

My prediction is 9.1 cst's. Although it would have been another 250 miles for the recommended interval. ;)

-Dennis

crossed 10k miles, so decided to go synthetic. just started with mobil1 for lack of much choice and generally seems to be safe bet, no? if i change in the future do i have to do a flush?

i got oil and filter and gasket for $42 on my specb. but labor was $18. damn. total $64. ouch. is that how its gonna be?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow after all these years I just found this thread.

132,000+ miles, I use Fram oil filters, whatever 5-30 or 10-30 is on sale at Walmart like Mobil 5000 or Shell. This April I started using Shell Rotella 15-40. I check the oil every few days and alway's top it off as needed.

Change the oil anywhere from 3000 miles in the summer to 5500 miles in the winter.

Been at stage 1 since Dec 04 and stage 2 for about 5 weeks now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Still runnin Motul 5w30, doing oil every 4000ish. Still adding around 1qt per 1000 miles after though. I'm not sure why the motor uses that much oil.

Have you tried switching up to 10w-30? Esp in the warmer months.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I believe most of the oil useage in blowby. Talking with a Machine Shop that does most of the Subaru rebuilds from the local dealers he say's they use a soft ring on these motors.

Just keep checking and topping off the oil as needed. Glad I use cheap oil. I'm close to most, useing about a qt every 1000 miles. I don't both to firure the actural usage out. Just keep adding, I think of it as the engines alway's getting fresh oil instead of having the smae old stuff in there for 3500 miles.

You need to rationalize.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Still runnin Motul 5w30, doing oil every 4000ish. Still adding around 1qt per 1000 miles after though. I'm not sure why the motor uses that much oil.

I have a 2008 LGT 5EAT with about 23,000 miles on the ODO. I do 5000 OCI using Amsoil oil filter and M1 0w-40. My engine does not burn oil at all. Maybe if you tried a higher weight oil it would burn less?

OEM ATF is just fine, as a matter of fact many aftermarket fluids aren't up to spec. If you want to go with a tried and true synthetic, get an Amsoil flush. I don't think the ATF filter is the same as the oil filter. You are looking at the one located under the battery, correct? Last I replaced it, 3 years ago, the part # wasn't the same and it was a bit more spendy.

It's not the same part number because the ATF filter has "transmisson" written on it. I can't imagine the construction of it being different than the engine oil filter. Regardless, I'm using a regular oil filter for it. lol. Hopefully it doesn't become an epic fail.

• 3 months later...
Wow after all these years I just found this thread.

:whore:

Almost 155k, my OCI avg.12k with Amsoil 0w-30 SSO & Ea oil filters( filters down to 15 microns. And down to 2 microns with a by-pass filtration which I run. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...11#post1715611 Cobb st1 93 map, max boost is still 16.2psi. Original Motor & Turbo are running like new.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

It's not the same part number because the ATF filter has "transmission" written on it. I can't imagine the construction of it being different than the engine oil filter. Regardless, I'm using a regular oil filter for it. lol. Hopefully it doesn't become an epic fail.

That is also on my car now. Earlier someone said amsoil has the same part# for them both but subaru doesn't. The tranny one from subaru is like $45+ and engine is like $7. I was gonna swap for a K&N or something not fram like.

Archived