LegacyGT.com

poll: What oil are you using and what change interval?

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No offense, but changing a good syn like Motul that often is a pure waste of money, unless you drive hard enough, or under conditions that a used oil analysis indicate a need for such frequent oil changes. For 99.9% of people out there, changing a quality synthetic at 3K miles just flushing money.

Seeing what I see everyday in my line of work....I have no problem spending a few extra dollars changing my synthetic that often to ensure everything is properly lubricated. :icon_wink

We use Mobil I in all the vehicles we bought new - 06 OB 3.0; Chevy Express Van; Honda Accord V6; Nissan Quest. We change at the manufacturer specified interval - 7500 for all but the Chevy, which has an oil life system. Last change came due at 8,925 miles. We'll start doing analysis on them soon.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

:icon_conf I thought that a synthetic took longer to break down and start working properly.

:icon_conf:icon_conf:icon_conf Break down to work properly?!? Where did you hear that? Oil is at it's best right out of the bottle. Over time it's additive package and acid buffering abilities become depleted and it also becomes overloaded with contaminants. This is not wine we are talking about... it does not improve with age.

Redline 5W-30 or 5W-40 every 8K to 10K

I did a Used Oil Analysis at Blackstone Labs and at 10K had an outstanding result with RL 5W-40

Currently use Castrol 0W-30 [ the green version made in Germany] I have a hundred quarts left and use it in both '05 Outback 2.5i's.

OCI with the Castrol 'GC' 0W-30 has been 7K.

Redline 75W-90NS in the gearbox and 75W-90 in the rear diff.

If I couldn't find Redline or German Castrol I'd use Mobil 1 5W-30 or 0W-40 at 7K.

Bought the car with 68 miles it. changed to Mobil 5000/stock filter at 1500. 3000, changed to Valvoline (it was on sell in a pretty box at wal-mart) with a Napa filter(WIX makes Napa filters). Next Weekand, im gonna change my oil to Mobil 1 5w30 Extended Performance, with napa filter.

My car will only be getting around 72 miles a month in a few weeks. Going to iraq so mom is gonna drive it twice a month.

Oscar

My past three OCIs have consisted of Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 with Subaru Tokyo Rokis and one of the Subaru Purolators. I've done all of my changes at 3750 - 4000 miles since the vehicle is still under warranty and region where I live/drive causes me to adhere to the severe maintenance schedule.

Once the vehicle has passed it's powertrain warranty, OCIs will be extended to 5000-7000 miles.

Currently use Castrol 0W-30 [ the green version made in Germany] I have a hundred quarts left and use it in both '05 Outback 2.5i's.

Nice stash! I'm down to about 20 qts. from my high of 50 or so, and I'm getting a little nervous. :icon_wink Although since the LGT is the only car that gets GC in household and I drive it less than 15K miles a year, that means I still have over a year's supply. Hopefully there is another oil on the horizon the can match GC, but if there isn't... wanna sell me some?:icon_cool

Nice stash! I'm down to about 20 qts. from my high of 50 or so, and I'm getting a little nervous. :icon_wink Although since the LGT is the only car that gets GC in household and I drive it less than 15K miles a year, that means I still have over a year's supply. Hopefully there is another oil on the horizon the can match GC, but if there isn't... wanna sell me some?:icon_cool

I don't know that I'd worry. Soon the GC will be a bit old, and hopefully there will be an even better oil from some company...or I'll use Redline at $7.00 per quart plus shipping.

The euro Pennzoil Platinum is looking decent, if not GC level

When Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec cost $4.00 / qt; Redline was a little spendy.

Now M1 is $5.68 / qt plus 9.5% sale tax.

:icon_conf:icon_conf:icon_conf Break down to work properly?!? Where did you hear that? Oil is at it's best right out of the bottle. Over time it's additive package and acid buffering abilities become depleted and it also becomes overloaded with contaminants. This is not wine we are talking about... it does not improve with age.
Maybe I just worded that the wrong way. I guess I meant to change at shorter intervals isn't using synthetic to its potential.

Denial is your best friend

Maybe I just worded that the wrong way. I guess I meant to change at shorter intervals isn't using synthetic to its potential.

OK, I didn't pick up on that. With 15K a year I'd probably change twice a year at 7500 /6 month intervals with the oem oil filter or Pure One or Mobil 1 filter.

I think the GC is good enough for 10K, but I don't mind changing a little sooner to play safe.

I read about people changing Mobil 1 at short intervals like 3K.

Yet Mobil 1 could safely run 12K to 15K intervals in many engines.... though I wouldn't run that long in my engines.

Synthetic at 3K OCI's? I have two thoughts:

1] They are wasting money.

2] They may be increasing wear.

There is data to support less wear with longer intervals. I don't know whether it is start up wear after each change, or that the additives in fresh oil can be too agressive if changed constantly, or some other explanation.

I stick with the 3K/ 3 month oil change interval with older cars.

With the best inexpensive modern oils which are synthetic blends [ Motorcraft / Troparctic 5W-20, 5W-30 ] in modern engines.... I think 4500 mile intervals are fine.

Archived