LegacyGT.com

poll: What oil are you using and what change interval?

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool. Driving in circles wasn't an option. Our company car is a stock basic 80's civic with like 9000 miles on it and we still get loud noise complaints from it. One day i'll have to get pics of it.

tlewis7 you might want to get a better idea from another SWP local to me. berkshire40

SWP SpecB pictures by berkshire40 - Photobucket

• 2 months later...
Don't know what the guy before me did, but oil in the pan was only hitting the tip of the d-stick. Flushed and filled with 5qts of Mobile Clean 5000. Will probably do 4K miles or 6 months (whichever comes first)

Yeah, I'll post. Why not?

Used to be Redline and a M108 every 4k miles or so for a total of maybe 10k miles. For the last 3k, Rotella with a Wix and that's what I'm sticking with. Cheap and good quality. Although, I was just told today by the service advisor at the dealer that 5-40 is not reccommended.:rolleyes:We're entering June in PA and our motors shear oil to begin with so a slightly heavier oil is of no concern to me.

Hmm....something interesting I noticed today. I was charged for 5qts of oil when I supplied my own today. Gotta talk to the service manager tomorrow and maybe it's time to rethink where I get my service done at.

Yes. Have you ever tested the oil to see if it stands up for a full year? Or maybe I am assuming you're actually racking up miles in said year ;)

I do 16K a year. I know of no oil that can take it that long on these turbocharged boxers.

Yes. Have you ever tested the oil to see if it stands up for a full year? Or maybe I am assuming you're actually racking up miles in said year ;)

I do 16K a year. I know of no oil that can take it that long on these turbocharged boxers.

I have my oil tested at every change. My last oil change was at 5,500 miles after about 10.5 months. In the report notes they (Blackstone Labs) wrote: "You could run the next oil fill longer than this".

If I were doing 16k miles a year I'd change sooner.

Wow, that's some low mileage LGT! Wish mine was like yours :(

Well, yes and no. The chassis has 160k+ miles, but I bought it with a seized engine last year. It now has a new short block with a bit over 7k miles on it. It'd be a pretty nice car if it wasn't for the dents in the body and slightly scuffed up interior. :( In retrospect I should have bought a running LGT with a pristine body and interior from the start...

0W-30 Amsoil changed once per year for me.

Keep in mind that Amsoil does not recommend going past 3,750 miles. Whether you have the screen or not, uoa's are a good tool but do not necessarily show everything that could lead to engine/turbo failure.

SUBARU TURBO SPECIAL MESSAGE:

Subaru has published Service Bulletin # 02-103-07 that identifies a factory design related problem with premature clogging of the oil mesh screen located inside the oiling system that supplies the turbo charger on all model turbo charged cars. A clogged screen will result in oil starvation and turbo charger failure. Subaru has reduced their recommended oil drain interval in half, as a solution, from 7,500 miles to 3,750 miles (3-3/4 months) and requires the oil mesh screen to be inspected, and possibly serviced, at every oil change. With this Subaru factory related design issue, AMSOIL INC. therefore must recommend customers follow the new Subaru oil change interval of 3,750 miles or 3-3/4 months until Subaru resolves this issue.

-Dennis

I'm an Amsoil dealer up here in Montreal Quebec Canada, I do a ton of oil work, ( http://www.canadasynthetics.ca ) and I've seen some amazing results with the sso 0w30. I run the 5w30 in my legacy L 2.2, and at 228,220km's on the dial, I'm pushing 17k intervals.

Not bad, not bad at all...I use oil analysers inc for my testing.

As for the bulletin, I pay attention to it and all my turbo customers are on reduced intervals...also with the 1.8T VW/Audi motors...they have a sludge issue.

Who is running synthetic in their 5eat? I can't find a thread anywhere in the tranny section. Another thing is tranny and engine filter the same? My tranny one appears to be the same black oil filter no longer used. Nothing is saying trans on it.

OEM ATF is just fine, as a matter of fact many aftermarket fluids aren't up to spec. If you want to go with a tried and true synthetic, get an Amsoil flush. I don't think the ATF filter is the same as the oil filter. You are looking at the one located under the battery, correct? Last I replaced it, 3 years ago, the part # wasn't the same and it was a bit more spendy.

OEM ATF is just fine, as a matter of fact many aftermarket fluids aren't up to spec. If you want to go with a tried and true synthetic, get an Amsoil flush. I don't think the ATF filter is the same as the oil filter. You are looking at the one located under the battery, correct? Last I replaced it, 3 years ago, the part # wasn't the same and it was a bit more spendy.

Yeah just saw it on FBP :eek: I'm gonna go with the atf hp then. Why isn't there a sticky for this?

I believe the part # is not the same because the engine oil filter has "engine" written on it and the transmission filter has "transmission" written on it. Otherwise, I believe the construction is probably the same. On Amsoil's site, it recommends the same filter for both the engine oil and transmission fluid.

^No kidding. Good to know, I guess I never really bothered to check since the filter is deemed lifetime. I'd argue that one change is OK but more than that is most likely overkill. If the tranny is shedding enough to warrant a filter change, you have bigger things to worry about ;)

This is random, but in follow-up to a bet I made with Unclemat about 9 months ago, I ran Castrol GTX 10w30 for 3500 miles and sent in a sample to Blackstone to see if it sheared down a grade (thereby showing whether or not a solid dino was capable of holding it's viscosity in our cars over the recommended interval).

Sample sent in 8 days ago, just waiting for the results.

Archived