LegacyGT.com

Koni dampers for Legacy

OB Lee

Huh?

Climber you stumped me on this one.

I bet mr. jvento is riding on Swifts or S-Techs or something similarly slammed.

Just suggesting better springs, and a better car to go along with them. At some point there is likely a car to please even the most refined tastes. I hear Bentley is good.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I had Konis installed keeping the stock springs and changed the LCA bushings for Whitelines (no caster change) and I'm real happy so far. Nice firm ride without harshness. I found that over time the suspension gets sloppy without noticing it (78,000 miles) and the changes make the car feel like new...or better.

• 4 weeks later...

i have about 20k miles on my koni's now and i'm just curious, how many have had their koni's blow? and how did you figure it out? what is the average life expectancy of our koni's?

is the warranty process easy?...and lets say one is bad, does koni replace in pairs, for example if my left front is dead, both my fronts get warrantied?

i don't have deep pockets so this is still the best mod on my car.

Warranty is easy but you have to wait for them to send back the replacement after you send them the bad one. They don't do it in pairs just the bad ones.

I have had them go bad after I hit a huge pothole in manhattan. They warrantied it for me. This was on my 94 Legacy.

-mike

• 4 weeks later...

Back in 2008 when Rick had that combo...

I am glad that my previous post did not deter you from the Swifts. I think they are well matched for the Konis, particularly between the 1 and 1-1/2 turn settings. I have definitely become used to new ride of my car and would never want to go back. Besides the improved control in the turns and the planted feeling on the highway or back-roads, dodging potholes on crappy roads is much more entertaining than it was with the stock suspension. The car responds much better to steering inputs, or rather, the car doesn't feel like it has "go-go-gadget" suspension. I think if someone wanted a "BMW-like" ride the Konis with stock springs and a mild swaybar upgrade would be perfect. By using lower, stiffer springs, the car is much flatter around turns at the expense of a small amount of comfort. Like you said, it's part and parcel of a sport-designed spring set.

Impressions of the 1-1/2 setting:

While the 1 turn setting had improved rebound control and reduced harshness, I still felt that there was a bit more room for improvement. If 1 turn is good, 1-1/2 must be better right? http://legacygt.com/forums/../images/smilies/lol.gif

With 1-1/2 turns the suspension does not seem to extend as quickly (as expected) to accommodate sweeping dips in the road. This translates to each corner of the car following the contour of the road much more closely. It definitely increases the "connected" feeling to the road, but can make for unwanted undulation in the body if the road surface is wavy. I think for daily driving a setting somewhere between 1 and 1-1/2 turns would be perfect. I will most likely try 1-1/4 F&R after another few days on this setting.

The improvement in bump harshness that I experienced going from 1/2 to 1 turn was also felt by going to 1-1/2, albeit to a much lesser degree. I do not think that going stiffer will yield much more in the way of comfort, but instead may start to compromise grip on non-perfect roads. I will experiment with the stiffer settings at some point in the future, preferably on a track.

-Rick

Before you do, give us a shot. We have TONS IN STOCK & are running a special on them!

+1 to FBP. I am currently running Konis and Epic Engineering springs from FBP and I love it. I would say this combo is very close in performance and comfort to my Racecomp Tarmac coilovers, with a slight edge to the Tarmacs. It is certainly superior to the Koni/Swift combo in every way, as the Swifts were just too low for long-term comfort.

I plan on using the Koni/EEs as my winter setup and RCE Tarmacs as my summer setup. :)

+1 to FBP. I am currently running Konis and Epic Engineering springs from FBP and I love it. I would say this combo is very close in performance and comfort to my Racecomp Tarmac coilovers, with a slight edge to the Tarmacs. It is certainly superior to the Koni/Swift combo in every way, as the Swifts were just too low for long-term comfort.

I plan on using the Koni/EEs as my winter setup and RCE Tarmacs as my summer setup. :)

I have the same setup as you. I got the MSI springs, which are also re-branded Eibachs. How many turns are you front and back?

I have the same setup as you. I got the MSI springs, which are also re-branded Eibachs. How many turns are you front and back?

Yup, same springs, different brand.

I set it to 1-turn (50%) during the install and haven't felt the need to tweak it since. As I said before, this feels very similar to my RCE Tarmacs. That being said, I wouldn't get rid of my coilovers and run these year round. :)

Yup, same springs, different brand.

I set it to 1-turn (50%) during the install and haven't felt the need to tweak it since. As I said before, this feels very similar to my RCE Tarmacs. That being said, I wouldn't get rid of my coilovers and run these year round. :)

Yep. I'm at 1 turn front and rear also. I also have an AVO 20mm RSB. It compliments the Koni/Eibachs very well.

Random question the Konis - is the piston suppose to stay retracted when the piston is pushed in? Or does it rebound very slowly...the piston barely moves (if moves at all) out of the housing when Ive pushed it in (with the strut off the car)

I know I'm not using the correct words, but I hope someone understands.

Random question the Konis - is the piston suppose to stay retracted when the piston is pushed in? Or does it rebound very slowly...the piston barely moves (if moves at all) out of the housing when Ive pushed it in (with the strut off the car)

I know I'm not using the correct words, but I hope someone understands.

The Koni Sports for our application are not gas charged and therefore do not rebound on thier own once compressed, like the OEM units and other gas-charged absorbers do.

Archived