LegacyGT.com

Humming noise >40 mph = bad wheel bearing

On the way to the dealer this morning, I played with mine and noticed a noticeable difference in noise depending on which way I turned. Loaded up on the right side (left turn) it made lots of noise, and it became quiet doing the opposite (right turn). I made the presumption it's my right-front, but the tech said most often they are the left-rear, and that the noise can throw itself through the vehicle. Nonetheless they're going to inspect all 4 and replace whatever ones are gritty.

Took the technician no more than a sprint down the nearby on-ramp to diagnose it as a wheel bearing - apparently he's heard plenty of them. Fortunately they stock them so they are getting it done today. He said they've replaced tons of these, and he's kept several and sent them back to Subaru complaining that there is a serious design flaw that is allowing the seals to rupture prematurely, leading to premature failure. He's seen a ton of them at only 20K miles or so.

Delta - pound on your local Subie dealer or take it somewhere else. My dealer (Bloomington Acura/Subaru - Minneapolis) stated it is a powertrain warranty item (5 years/60K). Demand they honor their warranty - says so right on the website just like typeSpeed included. Bloomington's been good to me so far... but I'm almost at the end of the warranty so I cringe to think what will pop shortly after it expires.

I'll consider myself lucky for now, but I have a feeling I'll need to brush up on my bearing-installation skills for the next time because warranty will be long gone (or maybe not so long... :icon_conf)

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aha! My keen ears were CORRECT! Just got the call that they replaced BOTH front bearings... the right front was especially bad. Both technician and service writer were a bit surprised because the rears are the most common to go.

Still pretty weak that these things are toast with only 55K miles... even worse that many people complain of much lower mileage vehicles being affected.

In this case I'll take my warranty and run... but not looking forward to the next go-round. :icon_roll

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned this once before, but it bears (harhar) repeating. Subaru had trouble years ago with bearings going bad.

It blows my mind that after fixing the design the first time around, they would go ahead and change the design to one that fails way too early...again.

At the very least, they should have spent more time testing the new design based on their first screw-up.

-B

PS one bearing replaced under warranty so far

• 2 weeks later...
Second bearing replacement in the same hub assembly (passenger side front)which occurred about 7,000 mile ago. My '05 Legacy now has about 30,600 miles on it. The dealership has been great about fixing the issue, but none the less this shouldn't be happening in a quality automobile.

• 4 weeks later...

Is the bearing issue felt also? Like vibration?

I did my 30 K service last month. I started feeling vibration at 60+ speeds this week. Not sure if it is a wheel balance problem or bearing. The thing is when I go up to 70-80+ mph the vibration doesn't worsen like a mis-balanced wheel.

Also, is it pretty obvious which wheel it is coming from if it is a bearing problem?

• 2 weeks later...

going in on Wednesday for at least 1 wheel bearing. I know the the LR is shot. I've been hearing the oscillating hum for several thousand miles, now I'm hearing a little bit of bb's in a coffee can sound too. :eek:

off topic - my drivers seat heater stopped working too. :rolleyes:

I just brought my car back because the high pitched whine has returned after only 1000 miles since they swapped out the driver's side front bearing. They think it might be the same bearing but it might be the driver's side rear this time. They've got my car over the weekend.

The first bearing was changed at under 10k miles. Now the odo has 10.5k miles.

The master tech I spoke with told me that he's now seen 3 other cars after mine with the same bearing problem.

The '08 Leg GT loaner they gave me exhibited the same symptom today so I'll have to let them know on Monday.

I'll update then.

going in on Wednesday for at least 1 wheel bearing. I know the the LR is shot. I've been hearing the oscillating hum for several thousand miles, now I'm hearing a little bit of bb's in a coffee can sound too. :eek:

off topic - my drivers seat heater stopped working too. :rolleyes:

they replaced both rear wheel bearings. so nice to be able to hear myself think now.

they also ordered me a new drivers seat. :)

car has 34k

The service manager rode with me and didn't really commit to hearing the noise. It was pretty windy out so it wasn't a good day. From 55 to 65 on a quiet smooth asphalt road I hear a faint humming droning sound in gear or coasting in neutral. It is not loud but noticeable. Dealer claimed to listen to wheel bearing with car running on a lift but claimed it was quiet. I rotated the tires to see if it was tire related and the sound is still there. What else could be making this noise?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I think I've got one now too. :mad:

I've read a bit about this but never had cause to read the whole thread. I've just read it all. I've got the described humming noise. Appointment with dealership on Wednesday. I'll be back to report on findings.

I thought I might be the exception to the '05 rule (bought in June of '04).

My wife just took her 08 Outback in tonight and it was diagnosed with a bad wheel bearing. I guess the problem persists.

Note - Everything is completely stock with 10,000 miles on the od.

That's ridiculous. They'd better have some corrective action in place.

Since there are 2 threads on this topic I guess I'll post in the both!

I just had the left rear wheel bearing/hub assembly replaced under warranty. 2005 GT Wagon with 53,600 miles on it.

Oh yeah, I left my wheels on. Only mention of them was to ask where the key for the McGard lock and spline drive was. ;)

I'll update this post with a part number when I remember to bring in the invoice.

Cheers!

-Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Just started to get a droning sound in my wife's 08 OBW with 11.5k. I checked the tires last night, all inflated correctly, tread wear pattern perfect, and all at the same tread depth.

Here's the symptoms, I'd appreciate it if folks would tell me if it sounds correct for a wheel bearing....

1) Starts above 35 mph, some very light vibration in the gas pedal, which since its not connected to the engine anymore makes me think light chassis vibes. Droning noise very obvious.

2) Less noisy when making lefthand curves at highway speeds

3) More noisy when straight, a little more droning when curving to the right, also at highway speeds.

These are the stock alloys and tires, no noise with the winter tires and rims I pulled off a couple months ago. BTW, the winter steel rims are a 50mm offset, vs the 48 OEM's. Tirerack assures me this sin't a problem. Could it contribute to a bearing failure? Those would be some real tender bearngs....

The last time I had a wheel bearing go bad on a car with under 100k was a very long time ago, so I'm way "out of practice".

Thanks in advance.

i just got a letter from soa about this in the mail saturday acknowledging the problem and extending my warranty on the REAR wheel bearings to 8yr/100,000mi. anyone else getting these letters. i have just started getting through this thread to figure out what what im listening for while driving.

Archived