LegacyGT.com

Humming noise >40 mph = bad wheel bearing

Bearings are usually 100% speed dependent. I also had the noise the loudest around 40-50, but above that the higher wind/tire noise made it less noticeable.

If a diff is bad, there is usually a large change in sound between accelerating and decelerating.

Ron

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My Nokian WRs are very noisy, too and I suspected the bearings. Part of it may be that they have a lot of road force (they were properly road force balanced), but I don't know this is the reason behind noise, or it's just they design.

WRs are more knobby than most all season tires so I suspect that's the majority of it. It just takes some getting used to, I've noticed the hum at 60 seems it might be temp dependent and may fade as the tires warm up. It's a little tough to say since I don't cruise at 60 often.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard of that happening here. I seem to remember a car that was lowered on aftermarket springs and wheels. I also think it had blue flames painted on the side which frightened the dealer from covering anything.

Take your chances...

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

I'm the only one I've heard of having their warranty claim denied. Cause was 'suspension mods' due to my iON springs. I ended up replacing them myself, and then sent a letter to SoA with my view, suggesting my claim should not have been denied and they had the area rep call me to discuss. He maintained that they were correct to deny the claim, so this was never resolved to my satisfaction. Good news is that the bearings are relatively cheap (~$100 each) and the install is straightforward.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I had LR bearing replaced under warranty (extended 52K). It sucks that they seem to go out frequently- I thought mine was a bad tire also. Fortunately if its not covered, it is about a 30 minute job and not real expensive. I still wonder why this is acceptable to Suraru though. I would think that the bearing would be sealed and last a very long time.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about reviving an "old" thread, but I am noticing a very obnoxious drone or humming sound coming from the rear of the car. Both sides make about the same level of "drone" or "hum". This sound is also definately speed related and does not go away or change when I steer the vehicle.

Just to give you folks some insight, my vehicle is bone-stock (including tires) except for a set of iON springs. The vehicle in question is almost at 25k miles.

I noticed the sound shortly after I installed the springs. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's due to the springs or a tire rotation (which was performed by me shortly thereafter).

Any insights?

Also, for those with bad bearings and non-stock suspsensions, did Subaru honor the warranty or were you "out of warranty"?

I'm the only one I've heard of having their warranty claim denied. Cause was 'suspension mods' due to my iON springs. I ended up replacing them myself, and then sent a letter to SoA with my view, suggesting my claim should not have been denied and they had the area rep call me to discuss. He maintained that they were correct to deny the claim, so this was never resolved to my satisfaction. Good news is that the bearings are relatively cheap (~$100 each) and the install is straightforward.

I have iONs myself and now I'm worried.

The local mechanic said diagnosed that it was my passenger side rear wheel bearings.

How straightforward was the process of replacing the bearings? Also, where did you purchase them?

Thanks in advance,

-Jim

I have a wierd sound which sounds like a whinning/humming sound. This starts at about 50mph only when I am accelerating. Once I let go of the gas the sound stops but starts again when I begin pressing on the gas.

The first impression is the tires but the sound has been consistent with 3 different sets (RE92, summer, and winter set up). I had my cousin with me (mechanic for Ford) and...he doesnt think its the bearings. He thought the noise would be louder and consistent regardless if I accelerate or just coast.

Does anyone think this is related to the bearings or is it something related to the transmission/differential?

I have a wierd sound which sounds like a whinning/humming sound. This starts at about 50mph only when I am accelerating. Once I let go of the gas the sound stops but starts again when I begin pressing on the gas.

The first impression is the tires but the sound has been consistent with 3 different sets (RE92, summer, and winter set up). I had my cousin with me (mechanic for Ford) and...he doesnt think its the bearings. He thought the noise would be louder and consistent regardless if I accelerate or just coast.

Does anyone think this is related to the bearings or is it something related to the transmission/differential?

I would say trans/diff. The bearing whine is 100% speed-related, and throttle activity makes no difference.

Ron

I would say trans/diff. The bearing whine is 100% speed-related, and throttle activity makes no difference.

He also mentioned to me if it's the wheel bearing you can find out which side it's on by turning left and right as your driving to hear if the noise goes away. Is this true? Unfortunately mine didn't go away when I turned left or right. I did have my rear diff recently replaced due to a different sound which wasn't resolved.

He also mentioned to me if it's the wheel bearing you can find out which side it's on by turning left and right as your driving to hear if the noise goes away. Is this true? Unfortunately mine didn't go away when I turned left or right. I did have my rear diff recently replaced due to a different sound which wasn't resolved.

I didn't get that much into an analysis. Besides, that would be tough, as there wasn't a noise (in my case) at low speeds where you would do tight turns to have an appreciable difference in wheel speed, and at the 45+ speeds with the noise, the turns are too gradual.

If you notice a difference in sound upon acceleration or deceleration, that's a classic issue with gears somewhere.

Ron

I purchased my 2005 LGT w/ 25K miles. It made a slight noise but I didn't know that was anything wrong. It got worse, knew it was wrong. Took it to the dealer, tech got in, drove 30 feet said turn around. Both rears were bad. The tech said that Subaru sourced new bearing to solve the problem. He said Subaru was well aware of the premature failures. Now obviously he might of just said that to make me feel good. Whatever, didn't cost me a penny. I am a little worried about after the warrenty though. Hopefully I got good ones.

Archived