LegacyGT.com

Humming noise >40 mph = bad wheel bearing

I have yet to diagnose my noise. I am not sure if it is the tire or the bearing. I'll replace the tire with the spare and see if the noise goes away. I thought of another way to describe the noise I am experiencing. It sounds like a washing machine on the high spin cycle. I'm almost inclined to think it's a tire issue.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
I just took my 05 with 42k on it into the dealer and BOTH need to be replaced and are being replaced under the factory power train warranty. So if you have less then 100k on the car or are under the factory powertrain warranty still you will have zero out of pocket costs.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

being a first time subaru owner, happy to report good service at the dealership. thanks to this forum and you guys/gals pointing me in the right direction, i called the dealership vs. taking the car to my buddy's garage. on the phone, the service guy cut me off mid-sentence and said, "...that's your bearings. bring it in and we'll get it fixed." i was also apprehensive since i was not the original owner. that was quickly put to rest as the warranty for the bearings applies to vehicle, not who owns the vehicle. cars getting fixed now; if they had the part i would have gotten it back within hours.

that letter is also helpful. take note, it says the 100K begins when the fist purcharser takes possession - that just starts the clock ticking and is not inclusive to the repair only applying to original owner.

can't wait to get my subaru back - quiet - wow, i don't think i even remember what that is like.

• 2 weeks later...
I Have aftermarket wheels with proper offset, would this be any reason to reject my warranty claim for rear wheel bearings? My right rear and front right are going. I have 46000 miles on the car.

I started hearing the noise again in my car. I had the RR bearing replaced about a year ago and I am hearing the sound coming from that side again. I have since moved to Orlando, Florida and have been taking my car to Sport Subaru/Mazda for regular service. They have been good to me so far, so I hope they don't give me any trouble like Crabtree in Connecticut did.

Well I got both my rear wheel and my front right wheel bearings replaced. I forgot how quiet the car used to be. I can now here myself think! Now all I gotta do is figure out this exhaust smell.....

hello,

I recently bought an 05 Legacy GT with 48k miles. after reading this post, how noticeable is the worn out bearing sound. I have stock wheels with brand new Hankook tires and I can't tell the difference between if it's a tire noise or a bearing noise because there certainly is a sound when I'm traveling 50+ mph.

Thank you in advance for your support!

Did you have noise before the new tires? If so, then most likely it's the bearings. If not, could be the bearings just started to go. I had a very hard time accepting it was something other than the tires, but thanks to this thread I made an appointment with the local Subaru dealer. A day later - new bearings - no noise. Absolutely free.

Did you have noise before the new tires? If so, then most likely it's the bearings. If not, could be the bearings just started to go. I had a very hard time accepting it was something other than the tires, but thanks to this thread I made an appointment with the local Subaru dealer. A day later - new bearings - no noise. Absolutely free.

I can't tell since my car came with this bran new tires so... I have nothing to compare it to

Well, I swapped the tire with the spare tire and the hum didn't go away. I also had the tires rotated recently. This concludes that it is in fact my rear left bearing making noise just as I thought and it is NOT a tire problem like the dealer was trying to convince me. I will be talking to them Monday first thing and scheduling to have the damn thing replaced already.

I managed to do a very stupid thing in this whole process. I had put my spare tire on and drove off ... with the security nut key in place. So I lost the damn thing and now have the spare tire on and won't be able to take it off until I can get a replacement key. L . O. L. Good news is that I don't depend on the car so it can wait in the garage.

Archived