LegacyGT.com

Humming noise >40 mph = bad wheel bearing

Hah! My second time in I got the short straw and got the dumb tech. Said it was tire noise. First time I was amazed at the east of it all, totally jinxed myself. :D

One would think that with the bearing issues of several years ago, Subaru would have made it Job 1 to double-check new bearing design/suppliers for quality.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I finally saw this thread, but doing a random search. I just had new tires put on the car, and now, all of a sudden, I am hearing the hum, at 50+ MPH. Guess it's time to call the dealership...and see what they can do about it. At least check it to make sure that it's NOT the bearings, and maybe the tires, or it IS the bearings, and not the tires.

We shall see what happens, but this really sucks. Oh well...I will get this fixed too...and glad to hear that it's covered until 60K miles. I have about 40K on mine, and it's also an early '04 build. I bought it in Aug. 04...so, chalk another one up to the 05's....as long as that's what the dealer tells me.

Nice info. Thanks guys!

I have a 2005 LGT with 21K on it. All stock. Mine is making the weird noise from the rear of the car that really gets loud at 60 mph. I have an appointment at the dealer for this weekend. I am guessing from reading here that it is a wheel bearing and not the tire, as there is no vibration.

Took the wagon to the dealer for the humming noise. I asked them to check the wheel bearing but they looked at me like i was crazy. I get a call telling me that the tires were bad and thats what was causing the noise. Back right tire had a large bubble on the inside. I told them about my research (i.e. this thread) and asked that they make sure the WB's were okay while the car was there. They insisted that the tires were the culprit and after seeing the bubble for myself...I thought they might be right after all. So today i go to get new tires and the noise is still there. Back to the dealer i go.

I am going to schedule an appointment soon...I just want to go back to Mavis, and have them check it out for me. Once they confirm it's not the balancing, etc., then I at least have the knowledge, and persuasion power, when I go to the dealer. I can state that it's been verified by the tire place...and that should hold some water.

Nonetheless, I am glad that I found this thread, and hopefully, it gets taken care of without hassle. I will be moving to Florida in a month, or so, and will be driving down there, so, I want everything to be in tip top shape...so that there's less chance of something going wrong, when driving 1800 or so miles.

Cheers,

i.

Took the wagon to the dealer for the humming noise. I asked them to check the wheel bearing but they looked at me like i was crazy. I get a call telling me that the tires were bad and thats what was causing the noise. Back right tire had a large bubble on the inside. I told them about my research (i.e. this thread) and asked that they make sure the WB's were okay while the car was there. They insisted that the tires were the culprit and after seeing the bubble for myself...I thought they might be right after all. So today i go to get new tires and the noise is still there. Back to the dealer i go.

Well what do you know...I've got a bad wheel bearing. Thanks for wasting my time West Houston Subaru!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
I am out of warrenty now, so I've been talking with a local shop. Soon I hope, but, I think I'm in for some major $$$$ on this one. Guess I'll replace the clutch while I'm at it.....

100,000 mile warranty FTW!

But with my luck I'll never have ONE warranty claim....

I'm at 30k and the car drives like it did when I first test drove her with only 6 miles on the odometer.

LOVE IT!!!

BEST CAR EVER....even over my previous saleen s7.

Hey....looks like this problem is limited to 2005 models?

I haven't seen anyone with an 06 or later complain. Right?

I have had no problems and no weird noises from the wheels.

Only weird noise i had was when I spent my WPT poker winnings on stage II and tried to install it all myself and had to reinstall the down pipe/up pipe combo three times before I got the leak to go away.

Since then...car's been a dream.

I think that my 05' LGT Wagon has this issue. I believe that it is the front driver's side bearing that's bunk. When turning left the noise increases, and the opposite is true when turning right. hmmm been wondering WTF is going on with this thing. I'm taking it in tomorrow to see about the bearings.

I'm glad I found this thread. I too have the humming noise coming from the right front of my '05 LGT at around 70 MPH where it is the loudest. My car is completly stock, as it is a company lease car. I've had the noise for almost two years now and it seemed to be less noisy during the Winter. I have taken the car to the dealership twice to see if they could fix this. The first time they couldn't hear it, but they did fix the rattling I had in the dash. The second time was yesterday and they told me it was the tires causing the problem. They claimed that my tires had scalloping and flat spots from not being rotated. My car only has 22,000 miles on it by the way. I figured if it really was the tires causing the problem it should move to the rear of the car if I rotated the tires, the sound stayed right where it was. My tires also looked perfectly normal.

I had told the dealer I though it was a bearing problem but they tell me it isn't. They even said the sound went away when they rotated the tire on the lift, at least they heard it this time around. What can I do to get them to change the bearing as it doesn't seem like they want to do this?

Yell at them and tell them you study bearing problems for subaru and the 2005 LGT got a bad batch of bearings and hundreds of people are having them replaced under 30k miles. You'd like them to replace it and you are sure the noise will go away......

ok don't yell but be firm and polite.

I was the first person in Sacramento to take my car in for the FAN RELAY problem before it became a widely known problem.

They said they had never heard of it before but I had some documentation noting what the problem was, how to fix it, and what part numbers were needed.

They ordered the parts and took care of it in less than 45 minutes.

NICE!

I put in an order for the parts to replace the bad bearing over the internet and sent them this message.

My Car was in the ***** service department on 6-15-07 to have the source of a humming noise, in the right front of my 2005 Legacy GT, that occurs over 40 MPH, diagnosed. The service department told me, after inspecting the car, that the noise was being caused because tires had not been rotated enough, that they had flat spots and scalloping and I was charged for one half hour of labor. I had the tires rotated and the noise stayed at the front of the car, instead of moving to the back of the car as expected, if the tires were in fact the real cause of the noise. Obviously they are not. I took the car to a local mechanic, who works on and owns Subarus, to have it checked out and he told me that the tires were fine and appeared to have normal wear. I was adviced that the noise was probably a wheel bearing that was going bad. I did a search on the web and found this

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29948

They basically state that the symptoms my car is showing are those of a bad wheel bearing. They also state that this was mostly on 2005MY Subaru Legacys and Legacy GTs and that Subaru had a bad batch of bearings that was causing these problems. It seems there have been several hundred complaints about the same problem and the Subaru dealerships have been replacing the bearing hubs under warranty.

I would like to have this part in my car replaced to get rid of the noise and any possible mechanical problems down the road, which might make my car unsafe to operate, because of this defective part. I can drop the car off anytime during the dates of 6-20-07 to 6-29-07 and after 7-9-07. If any of the previous dates are not available.

I look foward to the excellent service I have received over the years at ***** Subaru for the Subarus I have owned and have had serviced there.

If you need to contact me my name is *****. My work number is ***** my home number is ***** and my email is ****

They usually are pretty good at returning a reply from an online request. Let's see if they are willing to change the bearing now or I'll have to try a more direct approach. I guess I'll find out early next week.

I haven't received a reply from them as of yet. I guess they are giving me the cold shoulder or they don't want to replace it. The next time I take the car in for this noise will be the third time and CT has a lemon law. I might try a different dealership to see if they are more responsive to my problem or I might just have my mechanic change it and write a nasty letter to SOA.

My 05 LGT did indeed have a bad bearing. I took it in after checking out this thread. The service department had no problems fixing it under warranty. They also fixed my warped brake rotors.

My car has around 22,000 miles on it. I am concerned that there will be more "bad" bearings in the future.

• 1 month later...
I finally got a reply from them. They were in the middle of relocating the dealership and service department (on the same lot but different building) so it took them a while to reply. I took the car in today, so hopefully they will finally fix this problem.

Here is another update. They called me later on to tell me that their technician couldn't hear the noise and asked if I could come by and take a drive with him to point it out. I had someone give me a ride over to the dealership and had them ride in the back of the car to listen for the noise and to be an extra witness to this. The technician still had trouble hearing the noise but the extra passenger could hear it clearly. We went back to the dealership and they put the car on the lift to see if they could find anything. This time they came back to inform me that it was indeed a wheel bearing, but not the front passenger side one as I thought. It turns out it was the rear right side one. I asked if they had one in stock and if they did could they replace it. They did have one and I am now waiting for their call to pick the car up when it is done.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived