LegacyGT.com

Humming noise >40 mph = bad wheel bearing

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update:

The genuine Subaru rear hub unit arrived at my local repair shop and was installed. It was definately the passenger side rear hub unit that went tits up.

Now that the car is in good working order, I can drive to the nearest Subaru dealership to make my warranty claim.

Dealer just called saying my wife's loud hum between 30mph and 70mph was indeed the left rear wheel bearing. I bought the car in June of 2005. It has aftermarket wheels with the correct offset (Volk GT-P's).

I'll report back on the build date after I pick the car up this evening.

Dealer just called saying my wife's loud hum between 30mph and 70mph was indeed the left rear wheel bearing. I bought the car in June of 2005. It has aftermarket wheels with the correct offset (Volk GT-P's).

I'll report back on the build date after I pick the car up this evening.

Build date is 9/04.

Don't have the fronts, but the rears are:

28473AG00A HUB UNIT COMPL R

Subaruparts.com shows a list price of $124.01, and their actual price was $94.31 each, back when I bought mine in July.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

^Have an email into Subaruparts.com come about it. Looking up that P/N, it looks like there is not a right/left designation to it. Hard to tell without a diagram or something. But, $100 in parts is not so bad to fix a really annoying noise.

diagnosis is simple. Have them put your car on the lift, put the car in gear and acclerate slightly. THe bearing will be easy to hear. The powertrain warranty is 60,000 miles, so bearing replacement will be covered unless they claim it was caused by modifications made by you.

Archived