LegacyGT.com

Humming noise >40 mph = bad wheel bearing

My dealer here in MD wanted to charge me 365.00 a wheel. WTF I just found this

http://www.subaru.com/owners/warranty/index.jsp?year=2005

Powertrain Limited Warranty

Powertrain coverage for all models is five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. It covers the major powertrain components listed below:*

Engine block and all internal parts

Cylinder heads and valve train

Oil pump, oil pan

Timing belts or gears and covers

Water pump

Flywheel

Intake manifold

Oil seals and gaskets

Turbocharger Assembly

Transaxle case and internal parts

Transaxle seals and gaskets

Axle shafts and constant velocity joints (except boots)**

Torque converter

Electronic transmission control unit

Propeller shaft

Wheel bearings

Mr.350

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 05 LGT has been doing this for over a year....Started out sounding like a playing card in the spoke of a bycicle, changed to a screaming whine, now it's a low pitched groan...

My experience at Southern States Subaru:

7/2006 -> Noise is normal

10/2006 -> Can't detect noise

4/2007 -> Noide due to uneven tire wear (bs...just got new tires, now there's *less* tire noise so the bearing noise is more pronounced)

Have an appointment with Performance Subaru Wed... Taking a drive with the service manager...

So this is not limited to the 2005 model year? Has Subaru fixed this problem yet? I'm surprised a recall hasn't happened yet.

I haven't noticed any humming after 13k miles, but then again, 90% of my commute is city driving (< 60mph).

I bought an early Spec B 2006 #122

Bought in January of 2006.

I have not had any problems with wheel bearings.

If they go out I hope it is soon....32K miles is approaching and I don't know if wheel bearings are covered in my 100k mile warranty.

Sounds like wheel bearings are covered under powetrain (60k) warranty. So you're fine.

My right rear had this issue; 42k on the car at time of sale. I never noticed the issue, since I always had the music up so loud. The buyer of my car wanted a 125 point inspection done before making the purchase. Smart guy, it was covered under my warrenty, and was not transferable warrenty.

Noise just popped up yesterday at 49k. Build date of 3/05. It's the low groan above 20mph, non throttle dependent, and it sounds like it's coming from the front. I'm going to raise the car up and check the bearings for play before I take the car in on Monday afternoon for repair.

So this is not limited to the 2005 model year? Has Subaru fixed this problem yet? I'm surprised a recall hasn't happened yet.

I haven't noticed any humming after 13k miles, but then again, 90% of my commute is city driving (< 60mph).

Mine is a 2006. (mileage noted in my previous post)

Incidentally, and this is a little OT from the thread, but they had to swap out all 4 brake rotors yesterday too. The car only has 9400 miles on it, and I was totally shocked. One or more of them were pretty badly warped and I hardly even do any highway driving. I drive in the city about 5 miles a day on average. I'm easy on the brakes too so I guess the parts were just crap. The only reason I noticed was because I took the car on its first road trip last weekend and the brakes were really bad at 75-80 mph.

• 2 weeks later...
It's a good thing I had mine done when I did. The dealership I had been dealing with (Crabtree Subaru) closed their doors this weekend without any explanation and left a lot of angry customers behind. This made the local news and the state attorney general is investigating.

i've had both my front and rear driver's side wheel bearing replaced. sounds like a humming noise, you can hear it change pitches when you turn the steering wheel.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

O.K. I think I've got a bad one up front. It makes the most noise around 40 miles an hour and gets worse as I drift right and gets a little quiter as I drift left. I also hear some heavy growl when slowing down and I can feel a little click in the pedal too. I thought it was just the Fuzion ZRi tires(Junk) that I put on unexpectedly after belts broke in two of the factory Revo's just before going on a road trip one day, but it just may be the bearings. I'll have it checked out the next time I take it in.
Let's kick this pig!

we had an 06 Pontiac G6 for a rental a few weeks ago while in TO. the front driver's wheel bearing was going. i was quite proud of my self that i actually recognized the sound and knew what it was! LOL
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Any experience on how long these things can take punishment before they go? I've been having the hum now for a few weeks. Put new tires on it thinking it was tire noise - hum is still there. Going on a 800 mile road trip this weekend... wondering if I'm in jeopardy. If possible, I'd like to take it in when I return. (55K on my OBXT)

Brand new user here, looking for help regarding a family Outback.

My mother drives a 2005 Outback, bought it brand new in early '05 and so she's the original owner. With 44k miles on the car, it recently started making the noises described here. She described the noise and the last time I visited her I took the car for a test drive and thought that it sounded like a bad wheel bearing, but couldn't believe myself that it would happen at only 44k miles. Further research here and on other forums confirmed that it's a problem.

So my mom called the dealer and their service manager agreed that it sounded like a bad wheel bearing and she made an appointment to get it fixed in a couple of days. However, he they said that wheel bearings are not covered by the 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty and apparently it says so in the warranty booklet. He told my mother that SOA is refusing to reimburse them for fixing these things. I find that hard to believe and am about to call the service manager myself and ask how he would define wheel bearings to not be part of a powertrain.

I don't have the booklet in front of me, and this is all just a son trying to help out his mother with her car. What should we/she/I say to the service manager other than, "all these folks on LegacyGT.com say that it should be covered,"? To anyone that's had the work done, do you have a warranty claim # of any sort that we could reference with the service manager?

This is disheartening, as we've had such good luck with Subaru's in the past....

Delta5,

tell the dealer to check Subaru's website:

Powertrain coverage for all models is five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. It covers the major powertrain components listed below:*

Oil pump, oil pan

Water pump

Flywheel

Intake manifold

Oil seals and gaskets

Turbocharger Assembly

Torque converter

Electronic transmission control unit

Propeller shaft

Wheel bearings

Any experience on how long these things can take punishment before they go? I've been having the hum now for a few weeks. Put new tires on it thinking it was tire noise - hum is still there. Going on a 800 mile road trip this weekend... wondering if I'm in jeopardy. If possible, I'd like to take it in when I return. (55K on my OBXT)

Mine's been growling for a few months now. I thought it was just tires too until recently. I've even been rotating tires every 3K since they were installed and they aren't worn unevenly or anything.

Let's kick this pig!

Thanks very much for that. I found that link yesterday afternoon and talked to my mother a bit about the situation, explained what wheel bearings are, offered to call the service manager myself, etc.. She called the dealership back and with this information in hand asked them why wheel bearings wouldn't be covered. After pointing out that the warranty explicitly states that wheel bearings are covered, the dealership backtracked and said that they would cover them. Unbelievable, trying to take advantage of someone like that...

It's a slimy dealership, lots of people have problems with them in my area.

Anyway, it seems that her Outback will be repaired tomorrow and it should be under warranty.

Delta5,

tell the dealer to check Subaru's website:

Oil pump, oil pan

Water pump

Flywheel

Intake manifold

Oil seals and gaskets

Turbocharger Assembly