LegacyGT.com

Humming noise >40 mph = bad wheel bearing

Damn... I hope they are covered - I believe my front is starting to make noise now... I'd love for it to get replaced under warranty... I thought all bearings were covered, but now you're post is making me wonder if that's true or not!

Fronts aren't covered beyond 36K miles. I saw (too late) a few posts that briefly referenced coverage for rear only. I wrote a polite letter to SOA to see what'd they'll do, if anything.

I'll report back if I get a response.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Damn I should read this forum more often! Just had my left front bearing replaced at the dealer. Cost $470. Did I get raped? I wasn't even sure what the noise was, but it was getting worse and worse.

Quiet as can be now tho...

Damn I should read this forum more often! Just had my left front bearing replaced at the dealer. Cost $470. Did I get raped? I wasn't even sure what the noise was, but it was getting worse and worse.

post # 326 Fronts aren't covered beyond 36K miles.

yep, fronts aren't covered, but they are not hard to install. The part was about $130 - 150 IIRC. That's certainly no discount.

Got any hints/walkthroughs/procedures to share when replacing the fronts?

It helps to take a deep breath, and look at your vacation pics. If you don't have any vacation pics, do a search here and maybe you can find some vacation pics that will help you get in the right frame of mind to do the job.

I changed mine out when I installed the LCA bushings.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So my 05 2.5i had the left rear replaced around 60K under powertrain warranty, I'm now at 135K and both rears are going. The left is the worse of the two and was replaced at a private shop, after which he realized that the right was on its way out.

So after seeing that the bearing comes assembled for around $135 I'm pretty sure I can start doing these myself - my question is whether this is just a cost I'll have to get used to paying every 70K or so or it there any improvement to be made?

• 3 weeks later...
With a bunch of mods, and to avoid any trouble, this is why I had the bearings replaced by an independent garage. Then Subaru reimbursed me the cost. No fuss at all.

So I can just get this done at my garage, to avoid going to my local douche dealer, and then submit the bill to Subaru? Any idea how much Subaru is willing to reimburse for both rears?

26K miles, 05 Outback XT, new right reat wheel bearing 3/24/06. There seems to be something new that goes wrong with this car every 2 months. Granted, they are all covered by warranty, but the build quality is leaving me unimpressed.

Are these covered by the powertrain warranty? I have 29k on my '06 and think I have this same issue.

Are they possible to change by yourself?

theres a tsb out for the last couple years i think its 03-58-08 and its for the rear bearings up to 100k miles. my car started doing it at 38k. im taking it in tomorrow on account i can hear it getting worse. i got suspension mods, but not really worried about it. this aint my first rodeo.

it was my passenger side front wheel bearing... they wanted to charge me $322 and change to replace it. I called SOA and they said that it was covered under the 5/60k warranty. bam! got it replaced and a new steering wheel that they ordered for me in october 2008.

it was my passenger side front wheel bearing... they wanted to charge me $322 and change to replace it. I called SOA and they said that it was covered under the 5/60k warranty. bam! got it replaced and a new steering wheel that they ordered for me in october 2008.

Did you call SOA at the dealer or say no to the dealer and then call after you got back home? That is awesome news! I will take it in next week!

I called SOA while i was in parts dept. I was looking at my history of RO's and could tell SOA the exact date i went in for my steering wheel so they covered that. as far as the Wheel Bearing goes, the dealership was under the impression (as was I) that its not part of the 5/60k warranty. I know it was 3/36k. thats when my advisor came in and told me $322 my price. I guess its more expensive for regular people? Well I called SOA and told them the last 8 of my VIN and the guy says that the wheel bearing was now covered by 5/60 that they changed it a while back for legacys.

I had already called the regional rep and left a message on his cell phone. I know he would have taken care of it for me even if i was outta warranty. So i wasnt too worried. i would have asked for a goodwill if SOA turned me down.

Archived