LegacyGT.com

Humming noise >40 mph = bad wheel bearing

What is up with the rear bearings? I too had both rear ones replaced at around 15K miles and the right one replaced again at around 30K miles. I believe the rear left one now needs replacing also.

I asked the dealer if this was common and he said no, but after reading this thread and the numerous posts, I can't believe it to be true.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody actually give a tug on the wheel who had a bearing go/noise?

Got inspected in late October and they were fine, saw the guy yank on them.

Just curious about the correlation of noise versus the beginning of play in the bearing, figure at first the noise might happen without any movement.

Want to check it out myself before dealing with dealer.

The independent service shop that I took it too diagnosed mine as a bad wheel bearing. Like me, they tugged on the entire wheel and there wasn't any discernable "play".

When the hub unit was removed, we were able to examine it and there still wasn't any play. However, it rotated as freely as a square wheel.

Kay, so it would be a waste to even bother... Thanks! You know, when I bring in the LGT, it will have been back to the dealer for warranty work more times than my used 1995 (first year) Neon was..hah!

Perhaps I'll try the slight slant no parking brake and see if car moves test, hehe.

How long do you have before the bearing seizes and the wheel falls off? :D Started hearing the noise a few weeks ago...

How long do you have before the bearing seizes and the wheel falls off? :D

Months and months, I believe: they'll just keep getting louder is all. I haven't seen a single report of anything happening besides the noise.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I am out of warrenty now, so I've been talking with a local shop. Soon I hope, but, I think I'm in for some major $$$$ on this one. Guess I'll replace the clutch while I'm at it.....
How many miles do you have on your car? You may want to check with Subaru first. I sent a complaint to Subaru and this was the response I got:

Thank you for contacting our website. I am sorry that your email was prompted by concern with the wheel bearing on your vehicle. We have the two wheel bearing repairs documented in our warranty database. I would like to advise that there is not a recall on the wheel bearings for our vehicle. The wheel bearings are covered under your powertrain warranty for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

If you have another concern with this repair issue, please contact the Service Manager of the Subaru dealership to be involved and we would be glad to further investigate the concern on your behalf.

We are truly sorry for any inconvenience this matter may have caused you. If you would like to provide additional comments or provide information, you can contact our Customer Service Department by email or just call us at 1-800-782-2783

^ I know about the 60k powertrain coverage, thank you though.

While I don't think the modifications to my car, Stg. II and suspension, caused the diff (I still don't know exactly what is wrong) to fail, I know they didn't help anything either. I'm one of those weird honest people who doesn't mind owning up to the fact that I modified my car, and I don't expect SOA to pay if something breaks. While the number of diff failures on non-modified cars concerns me, I don't have enough evidence to think it's not exacerbated by higher power levels.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally back and driving the car. Noise change at all on different pavement with bad bearings? Odd that while driving over the pavement under bridges on highways, pitch of the noise would change. Same goes for switching highways and the slightly different types of pavement on each.

At this point it is so quiet I can't have any cars around me or the HVAC on lest the noise gets drowned out.

Maybe it is the tires, or brakes... Hmpt.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got it checked out at a local shop... Not the bearing as far as they could tell.

Wondering if my regularly rusty rotors over the past few months is causing rust to sit on the pads, resulting in scouring and metal/metal contact. Would explain how the noise goes away/reduced when brakes are on.

Still, sounds like a bearing... Hehe

I'll update the thread with any new info. in the future...

I dunno, my RR started making noise at about 15K, and I had it replaced at 28K. Now with 41K, all is quiet.

My SWAG is that they have more than one bearing supplier, and there is a supplier that has issues. I would think that if my other rear bearing was from the same source, it would have "sounded off" by now.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

I think I jinxed myself, a booo...

For those who have had both front and rear wheel bearings go... Is there a difference in noise between the front and rear on the highway as the bearing starts to go? Are the front and rear bearings different in design?

Had a right rear one go that sounded like that high-pitched truck tire noise on the highway. Now with that fixed, hearing what sounds like a wind-produced hum that is lower in pitch and inconsistent coming from the front of the car at only highway speed.

If indeed it is a bearing, guess it makes sense that the if they were from a bad supply batch, they would all be going at roughly the same time.

Guest jpkad
I had a humming noise at > 40 MPH. Came to the forums, saw this post, and brought it to the dealer. It turns out I had three bad wheel bearings.

FYI for anyone reading this thread. Think it's a bad wheel bearing? Out of warrenty? I replaced my right front, but it wasn't bad. So, I have a front wheel bearing with about 35k on it that you can have if you want to check yours by replacing it cheap. Pay for shipping, maybe donate some money to the forum and it's yours (it's a $100 new).

My hub/bearing was also replaced at ~20k. My LF was making a weird wizzing-squealing noise, initially suspected as a stuck caliper. If it sounds like the pad is making constant contact,, this may be it, either way when in doubt/aggravated to all hell, take it in ASAP. :)

~Carlos

Sub-newb, but willing to learn ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Well, when the Humming started I was at about 57,000 miles(last month). I took it to Milea Subaru in the Bronx and they told me that it was my tires, so I believed them and went on my merry way... At 60,750(last week) I replaced my tires and the humming is still there. This morning , I go to my dealership(Feder's in Middletown NY) about the issue, I'm told that it'll be roughly $400 for the rear pass. wheel hub including labor. I explained to them that the problem started before the warranty was up and they didn't even flinch. I could just take it back to Milea but i've lost trust in them. I'm going to call Subaru Customer Service tomorrow.

jeeze, what's with the passenger rear hub? Seems to be the one that goes the most...

:confused: <shrug> dunno, but on my 2nd time in, head tech test drove w/ me shotgun (they didn't test drive it w/ me in the car 1st time) & he did say that these hubs are extra beefy b/c of the nature of the cars (i.e.: off-road, all weather, etc) & the grease/bearings in there get "overworked" or some bs.

Anyhow, iirc, he said the new ones are using a less viscous grease, so that was their story here in the good ol' Golden Republic of SoCal... ymmv...:lol:

~C'los

Archived