LegacyGT.com

Humming noise >40 mph = bad wheel bearing

Went to the dealer today to schedule a time to have this taken care of. The bearing is in, the front desk clerk made it pretty obvious to me that they are very likely to give me the run-around AGAIN. Stated that the tech will put the car on a lift and put load on the bearing, basically the same test you would perform on a failing bearing to stimulate mass transfer (taking turns with the car). This is not a failing bearing and I am sure they will find no noise just like 10 thousand miles ago.

What are my options at that point? If they again tell me the bearing is not making noise I'm going to get them to call SOA right then and there. If they still refuse repairs, I will tell them to replace the rear bearing, KEEP the part and if the noise does not go away, I'll pay for it and apologize for wasting their time. But if the noise does go away, as I am confident it will, I will call them asshats and be on my way.

Thoughts? How did you get your dealers to replace the damn thing or confirm that it is in fact the bearing making noise?They'll probably try to tell me it's the differential that's toast, or that I need a new transmission. Shit, I need a new car altogether!

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there another dealer you can go to? When I called, I didn't even finish describing my problem and the guy at the front desk that took the call said - that's your bearings. We're doing another car right now. Bring it in and we'll take a look at it. Two days later (once part was recieved) replaced free of charge.

Only other dealer is up in Omaha, some 40 miles away. I'm going to get SOA on the phone right then and there if they still give me the run around. They are one of the shittiest dealers in town. They are a Subaru/Chevy dealer. I know of at least 4 people that didn't buy Chevy anymore because of their experience with this dealer. Duteau Chevrolet, Lincoln Nebraska.

Turns out it's the damn tires.

Went to the dealer this morning, tech put the car up on the lift. Right away he noticed all 4 tires are cupped. I am running on GoodYear Eagle F1 Ultra High Performance tires, 20K miles on them, 9/32 wear all around.

I didn't fully trust the dealer although he showed me the wear on all of them so I went over to a closeby Firestone shop that's done good work for me in the past. The tech without even running his hand on the tires could tell right away they're cupped just by how the light was bouncing off them. I'm going to be contacting GoodYear, my balance and alignment is AOK. Damn tires!

Can anyone link me to the bearing TSB? I can't remember if there is a year limit on the extended warranty or if it's strictly mileage and now I can't find the PDF anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
My 05 lgt has this "humming" noise, seems to get loudest around 40mph. The sounds makes me think I need to shift up all the time. The car has around 50K miles, and the tires are still original, so I kind of think I should replace them first to see if it goes away, but was not planing on doing that till mid december. If it is bearing, am I risking anything by letting it go for a while, or should I get after it right away? I have only had the car for about 3500 miles, and the noise wasn't there where I got it. Came along after about 1500 miles or so I think.

Just got back from the dealer today and they refused to change out the rear wheel bearings. They said it was coming from the rear diff and it would be $ 2000 to fix.

take it to another Subaru dealer and get a second opinion. The dealer in York was going to screw me, so I took it to Lawrence Subaru in Hanover PA and they took care of it with a smile. covered under warranty @ 95k miles.

Hey guys,

I have a stock 09 5MT 2.5i. I had it on the highway last weekend for quite some time. Drove from CT to NH on Friday and NH to CT on Saturday. It seems like around 70-80 mph I can hear a general whine. Did Subaru straighten out the wheel bearing issue, or are the newer cars still experiencing this issue? To be honest, at 80mph, its very hard to say which side or which end of the car the noise is coming from, and it doesn't seem to make the noise at lower speeds.

So what do you guys think? Wheel bearing? Tires? Road noise? Diff?

take it to another Subaru dealer and get a second opinion. The dealer in York was going to screw me, so I took it to Lawrence Subaru in Hanover PA and they took care of it with a smile. covered under warranty @ 95k miles.

what dealer in york did you go to? apple? i want to make sure i dont go there...i want to take mine in within the next few weeks. thank you.

hmm i took mine to dealer today for the recall reflash. i also asked them to check out my wheel bearings. they blamed it on the tires? wtf. they said it was wearing evenly, but i have very agressive tires which are the cause. when the f are kuhmo asx "aggressive" tires. they said the same thing 30k miles ago when i was on my stockers, yoko a82 tires, f'ing kidding me! i'm going to another dealership.

can somebody explain again how bad wheelbearings sound like cause this is pissing me off. i get a whirrling sound at about 30-40mph which turns into high pitched whine at highway speeds. whine sounds like clothes washer in high spin cycle when on the highway. slow speeds i can hear a faint growling sound when i sit in front passenger seat. i get faint vibrations also which i can feel through steering and pedals. doesnt change with rotations either or my stockers.

what dealer in york did you go to? apple? i want to make sure i dont go there...i want to take mine in within the next few weeks. thank you.

hey sorry for the slow response... yes the dealer in york was Apple. Maybe they'll treat you better than me, but I can definitely suggest Lawrence Subaru in Hanover.

edit:

*my last problem with Apple was when I wanted to get parts to replace a front wheel bearing on my previous Legacy. I got the walkthrough from here, with part numbers, torque specs... everything. the guy who did the walkthrough spent about $150 on the wheel bearing assembly and misc parts. he even took pictures of the parts boxes showing the part #s. I called Apple with the part numbers and they said that it was the wrong part and that I needed to order individual parts, which ended up totalling close to $400. I then called Lawrence, also told them specifically that i was replacing the front wheel bearing, gave them the part numbers for the full assembly and misc parts... they quoted me $135 for the full assembly, even telling me that it was ok to reuse the 32mm nut.

can somebody explain again how bad wheelbearings sound like cause this is pissing me off. i get a whirrling sound at about 30-40mph which turns into high pitched whine at highway speeds. whine sounds like clothes washer in high spin cycle when on the highway. slow speeds i can hear a faint growling sound when i sit in front passenger seat. i get faint vibrations also which i can feel through steering and pedals. doesnt change with rotations either or my stockers.

I am getting a similar feeling. above 40-50mph I get a humming noise all around, almost like excessive road noise. I also get a faint vibration in my steering wheel and entire car (pedals etc)

I've rotated my wheels, had them balanced on a Hunter Roadforce, had the wheels and tires checked for imperfections...not issues...Its been going on for a few thousand miles now(I'm at 70k)

Is this wheel bearings?

• 4 weeks later...

southeastern PA, Telford

A&T Subaru

just bought the car and had some small problems

Both rear wheel bearings - done under warranty

hooked the antenna amp up - $90 cause the car had been in a accident and shop didn't hook it up right

ECU reprogram recall - done under warranty

Great dealership

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for posting about this. I am getting my car fixed by Subaru under warranty for the bearings even though I am over 50k miles. Thanks so much again.

EDIT: WHEEL BEARING REPLACED. REAR RIGHT! WARRANTY UNDER THE 8yr 100k mi!!! THANKS AGAIN.

• 2 weeks later...

Took my car in to fix what I thought was the right rear bearing under warranty. The left bearing was relplaced in spring 2009. Turns out that the right front bearing was bad and didn't fall under the extended warranty.

Did anyone try appealing to Subaru about covering the front bearngs, as it seems like front bearings are failing as often as rear bearings.

Damn... I hope they are covered - I believe my front is starting to make noise now... I'd love for it to get replaced under warranty... I thought all bearings were covered, but now you're post is making me wonder if that's true or not!

Archived