LegacyGT.com

Humming noise >40 mph = bad wheel bearing

my wagon is having the same annoying humming. before i take it in to the stealerships should i throw on the stockers? not sure if they're going to give me beef for having aftermarket 18's w/ same offset.... ideas?

I had my 18's on when my first one went about a year ago. Dealership didn't give me any trouble but I guess that depends on the dealer.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking I have a bad bearing. It doesn't do this all the time but on a 120 mile trip this weekend it did it about 10 times and then it would go away. For about a mile or 2 at a time I would get a loud humming noise. Kind of like wha-wha-wha-wha.....A pulsing noise. and my steering wheel would vibrate like crazy, the shifter would too. Pretty much the entire car would vibrate a lot. This is at 60mph. After a few miles it goes away and it smooth.

Also, the day before I left I cleaned my wheels and when I got home the Driver Front wheels if flithly but the passenger front is still clean.

Is this my wheel bearing?

My rotors seem fine so I dont' think it's brakes. When it not doing this braking is smooth. No plusing or vibrating.

I hear a high pitch noise at 30mph-50mph on the driver side; especially, if I am beside a car or a wall. Can I take it to any dealer for a warranty work or do I have to go to where I bought the car?

I think my rotors are wrapped or dirty. I hear a noise when braking, not a screeching noise but a (wuum wuuum wuum) sound.

I hear a high pitch noise at 30mph-50mph on the driver side; especially, if I am beside a car or a wall. Can I take it to any dealer for a warranty work or do I have to go to where I bought the car?

I think my rotors are wrapped or dirty. I hear a noise when braking, not a screeching noise but a (wuum wuuum wuum) sound.

Any dealer can do warranty work, however some are better than others. I got a bad bearing replaced, but it took about 10,000 miles and a tire rotation before they agreed that it might be the bearing. Once they replaced the bearing the noise went away. Also in my experience the bearing noise will be most noticeable at around 40mph. Above that speed and there may be too much road/tire/wind noise to hear the bearing. Try driving around 30-40mph making long turns in either direction, this change in pressure on each side should make the sound louder or softer, though the pitch should be relative to the vehicle speed.

^ thanks for the info. I actually hear mine when slowing down from 60mph to 30mph; around 40mph and below I hear the high pitch whistling/scrapping noise only on the left side. when I bring my window down I hear it louder.

My local dealership told me that I had bad tires and declined to replace the bearings under warranty. I drove the car for another 5K miles and became very annoyed at the noise. Over the winter, I upgraded my suspension so I ended up replacing all four wheel bearings myself at a cost of about $500 for parts. The noise went away and my disdain crappy local dealership service has been reinforced.

Apparently what seems like the rear left bearing is going out on me too. Humming noise when coasting between 40mhp and 25mph. 68K miles on the car.

How much can I expect a bearing replacement to cost?

Dropped the car off at the dealer which, as soon as I uttered the words "warranty repair", there weren't enough places for them to hide, it seemed.

Took the car for a drive and supposebly listened/checked/tested the wheel bearings and they said it's the tire making noise and the bearings are all in good shape.

This is all I can tell you. I was on a 2200 mile round trip to Canada over 4 days. The day before I left, I had the tires balanced and rotated. I'm running GoodYear Eagle F1 AS ultra high performance and I am aware these tires can and will get loud with age. I only have 10k miles on them.

When I got back from the trip, the noise I am hearing can be described as an unsteady hum that you hear the loudest at exactly 38mph. Over 40 and under 30 the sound cannot be heard. It does not change in pitch, just volume. It also does not change in nature when I steer the car left or right. Sounds sort of like a cyclical whoom-whoom, definitely not grindy or metallic noise.

So how do you differentiate between a loud bearing and a loud tire?

At this point I really have no choice but to just go with this and hope that if it's the bearing, it will get louder and more obvious.

Thoughts?

It's the rear left BTW. I think I am going to try swapping a front tire with a rear tire temporarily to see if it makes a difference.

This seems to be a favorite tactic for the dealerships- perhaps its even in their training manual. Its a simple thing to blame it on the tires and be done with you.

As you mentioned, you could try rotating the tires (again) and see if the noise moves forward (I assume that the front bearings don't have any problems). If the noise remains then it is prob. the bearing.

The dealership likes to put it back on the tires, however in my case this was not true-- I do not hold a high opinion these guys. In the meantime, my mileage was above the warranty limit so I ended up changing it out myself to solve the problem. Its not a difficult job- prob. 30-45 minutes, but the part is about $125 or so.

Did yours sound like my description? I had my mechanic go on a drive with me and he, too, thought it might very well be the tire.

Dealership's explanation was that:

-noise is no speed dependent in the sense that it's only occuring between 30-40mph (that tells me the opposite but whatever)

-bearings were inspected

The inspection part, I trust them as far as I can throw them ... I should have taken a note of my mileage.

Mine was a noise in the rear at around 40 mph. I have had a bearing replaced before and the sound was the same.

The dealership said that they put it on a lift and listened for the noise and didn't hear it. This is how they decided that is was the tire. Funny thing, I had 5-10K more miles on the tires and finally changed it out myself and the noise went away. I bought a new set of tires about five months after changing out the bearings and did not notice a great difference in the amount of road noise.

Bottom line- I think they just shined me on because they didn't want to honor the warranty. I'm not going to go back and get in their face about it- what good would it do me? I will however share that experience with everyone else because I'm sure its a common practice.

I ain't letting this one go simply out of principle. The dealer is 5 minutes away from me so it definitely makes things a little easier. I'm going to swap the tires. If the noise remains, I am going to have my shop check out the bearings and have them replace it. Upon replacing the bearing and said noise going away, I'm going to dump them the bill and settle on nothing less but every penny restituted.

They've screwed with me enough

Oh, and the guy I dealt with goes ... you know these things, being all-wheel-drive, you have to replace all four tires at the same time.

Are you f-ing kidding me? How's that for treating a customer like shit? And don't sit there and tell me what you think it is or is not. Just take it for a drive, inspect it, then let me know. When I dropped it off in the morning the guy kept dismissing me. "Oh, it doesn't sound like a bearing problem to me, I'm positive it's just the tire."

Just get them replaced on your own dime and submit the warranty claim direct to SoA. That was my path to satisfaction. Go back a few pages and you can read my story.

Yeah it's definitely a bad bearing judging by the sound of things. I experienced the same thing, except with my local mechanic. I rolled the dice and bought a bearing even though he was adamant that it had to be something else. The new bearing fixed everything. FYI...when they put it on the lift and moved around the tire to check for play they all said the bearing shows no play.

Per the letter that went to the owners, it states the bearing's functionality is not affected, it's just noise. So I don't think there would be anything to be heard.

Should I choose to do this, am I sending the paperwork to the dealership, or just go straight to SOA?

Bearings have their own coverage which was extended to 100 thousand miles on both the Legacy and Outback.
Where can I get that in writing? I paid out of pocket because the dealership said it would not be covered.

Where can I get that in writing? I paid out of pocket because the dealership said it would not be covered.

You'll like that part

Owners are being advised in the owner notification letter that if they have previously paid for repairs related to this Service Program, they may be entitled to reimbursement. The owners are further advised, to qualify for any reimbursement they must submit the original repair invoice to Subaru of America, Inc. Please review the owner notification letter which explains this procedure so that you are familiar with it and can assist owners with any questions

• 2 months later...
I had my 18's on when my first one went about a year ago. Dealership didn't give me any trouble but I guess that depends on the dealer.

Good luck!

Was this the dealership closest to you? They've always treated me fairly.

The rears seem to have failed exactly at 83,000 miles as if on a timer. :spin:

Cheers,

Mike

Again, these boards help a diagnose a problem. Bought an 05 OXT in Apr; came with Michelin Pilots - no noise. Over the last 3 months, developed an unbearable whine/hum in the rear from initial start and gets louder with speed. Thought it was the tires - replaced them with a new set of Michelin Pilots. Absolutely no change in the noise. Been thinking more about it/talking with friends - I've concluded after adjusting tire pressures and noting that the noise was no different whether on a smooth freshly paved asphalt road or concrete road that it can't be the tires. Also, difficult to tell (as others mentioned with wagons) but, it sounds like the rear passenger side. Will make some phone calls tomorrow - hopefully, this will solve my problem and I'll have some piece and quiet again.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived