LegacyGT.com

Humming noise >40 mph = bad wheel bearing

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope...Stock 17" Subaru rims. I got a call from the dealer earlier today, and they said it was indeed a bad wheel bearing. Of course it has to be a part that they have to order from someplace, because they don't have it in stock...But is being repaired under warranty, and Subaru is also paying for my car rental...:)

According to the service writter @ Subaru i should have my car back Thursday.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
They did for the most part...the bearing design in the newer cars ('05+) are totally different than the older style. We have seen a few bad bearings in earlier production date '05's but not a huge number. Good news is that the bearing is easy to replace...only takes about 30 minutes to an hour.

So, this means the 2007's shouldn't have this problem? What is the expected life of a wheel bearing? I have never had this kind of problem on any of my cars, including 1994 Subaru Legacy wagon, 1997 Audi A4. Thanks.

So, this means the 2007's shouldn't have this problem? What is the expected life of a wheel bearing? I have never had this kind of problem on any of my cars, including 1994 Subaru Legacy wagon, 1997 Audi A4. Thanks.

check the service manual if they list a different part number for the bearing...

i doubt that they changed it as it's probably cheaper for them to swap them

out as warranty repair than to requalify a new part.

bearing should last usually 100k miles or more... but mine went bad real

quick.

I just had my left rear wheel bearing go bad at 25K miles on my '05 LGT. The tech guy I talked to at the dealership said it's about the 5th car he has seen (legacies and imprezas) with that same problem from this model year. He said he thinks it's just a bad supplier. But they gave me no trouble replacing the bearing. I am sure I will have to have the right rear and who knows what else before long. Too bad they can't just replace all of them since they know it's likely to happen eventually. Oh well, that's life.

check the service manual if they list a different part number for the bearing...

i doubt that they changed it as it's probably cheaper for them to swap them

out as warranty repair than to requalify a new part.

bearing should last usually 100k miles or more... but mine went bad real

quick.

Thanks for the idea...I think it's a good one. :)

I did some research looking for the part #, but couldn't find anything on the sites I searched. It seems like most of the most of the failures are for 2005 models....I guess the next step is to just call the parts department of the local Subaru dealership and ask them for the part #s for each. I also have a local mechanic that does work on foreign cars that could probably help me out with it.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for bearing replacement. I was getting the progressively louder humming noise in the LR wheel, starting at about 30 mph. Funny that it happend just after I rotated the tires, so I thought it was from the lame alignment that I got when I installed the Toyo Proxes4's on there. Turned out to be the bearing.

I would not have thought that the bearing would go out so soon- 51K on the 05 GT Ltd. It was fixed under the extended warranty N/C but now I wonder when the others are going to go.

1. Does this seem to be a widespread problem for the 05 Legacy GT's? (Anyone from a dealership would probably know).

2. How much does it cost to have these replaced? I will probably have to pay for the next one.

^^The same thing is happening with me. I just had some new rubber put on, and I'm feeling this. In addition to the noise, is there a vibration that increases with speed? I feel like this is happening to me, but I can't find a decent, smooth road to test this out on (I'm in NJ, go figure :lol:).
The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Hmmm. If you just put new rubber on, and you've got a vibration that increases with speed... that sorta sounds like a tire problem. All of the wheel bearing problems I've seen on this board were causing a humming sound only - no vibration. Certainly if a bearing deteriorates enough it could cause some vibration, but I'd think the sound would be so bad by then that there would be no doubt whatsoever.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

1. Does this seem to be a widespread problem for the 05 Legacy GT's? (Anyone from a dealership would probably know).

2. How much does it cost to have these replaced? I will probably have to pay for the next one.

I think we're up to around 20 claims on this forum, mostly early '05 models with '04 build dates. The bearings are around $100 each, and can be done fairly easily yourself if you are so inclined. If not, it shouldn't be more than an hour labor each for a qualified mechanic with a lift and the right tools. (Took me closer to 8 hours to do both my rears, but I'm certainly not 'qualified' (!) and working with jack stands and hand tools ain't the easiest for this job, even though it's very straightforward.)

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24717

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38305

I did some research looking for the part #, but couldn't find anything on the sites I searched.

The part numbers are posted in one of my posts in one of the links above, I believe. According to Opie, the part numbers have NOT changed since the cars were launched, which seems to indicate no design changes have been made. Which in turn, points to this maybe being a quality issue with a batch of parts.

I think everyone that has had wheel bearings replaced should post the build date of their car.

I'll start: LGT Sedan, Sept '04 build date. Both rears bad at 27k miles.

I had a bad wheel bearing it the drivers side rear - and it was impossible not to notice it anytime I was between 40 and 50 mph. It was a loud hum / whine - made it difficult to carry on a conversation with someone in the back seat.

Archived