LegacyGT.com

Seatbelt Idiot Bell Disconnect

brad21

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='mccorry']OK... forgive me... but I cannot get the damn chime to stop!!!!! :evil: [/quote] I wish I knew, because I can't get it to work either. It feels like I'm losing a videogame..[/quote] Yeah, kind of like not being able to get the super-life hidden feature. I can't get it to work on my LGT wagon either and haven't a clue as to what I'm doing differently. Perhaps there are two versions of the software that control the chime? For those who found success, when was your Legacy/OB manufactured? Ken

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I hope this works. I have been trying for the last 30 minutes or so to get this file in a format that I could attach to this post. PDF is not supported. I hope it turns out ledgable.

The chime does not really bother me at all, in fact it is quite automatic. I do not notice fastening the belt. The car starts, the hand goes directly to fasten the belt. But if one were interested, it does not look like it should be too hard to fool the system. It looks as though when the seatbelt is latched it completes a grounding circuit. It appears that that there should be wires running to the seatbelt latch and the switch could be bypassed. It seems reasonable anyway. Hopefully, this helps.

Rob S.

1133416724_SeatbeltWarningSystemWiringDiagram.JPG.6dc4aaf9c4ff50afb6dda9401ef61e5b.JPG

[quote name='Ken S'] For those who found success, when was your Legacy/OB manufactured? Ken[/quote] My Leg GT Wagon was manufactured 06/04 and I was able to get the chime to stop on my second try. The first time I did it I lost track of how many buckle/unbuckles I did so I did a few extra for good measure. Apparaently the procedure is a stickler for exactly 20. The second time I did it deliberately, maybe even slowly, but still trying to get all 20 within 30 seconds. I turned the car off and removed the key between the two sequences of 20. Now the chime sounds only briefly when I first start the car and is silent thereafter. Prior to the "procedure" it used to come back on every 20 seconds or so and hound the living daylights out of me. All this and I was still idling in the driveway.

• 3 weeks later...
:?: OK.... is fasten / unfasten counted as 1 or 2? Fasten = 1 Unfasten = 2 Fasten = 3 Unfasten = 4 , etc..... OR Fasten / unfasten = 1 Fasten / unfasten = 2 ,etc.... I have had the car for a month now... and still cannot seem to figure out what I am doing wrong here.....

It's a REALLY BAD IDEA to mess with this circuitry or try to fool it. The seat sensor may even have some effect on the airbag control module. The procedure to turn off the sound is in the Subaru manual, page SB-7, under "Permanent Cutoff." It says, and I quote: "How to cut: Repeat fastening and unfastening the driver's seat belt for 20 times within 30 seconds after turning the ignition switch on. Enabling and disabling is done with the same operation. (The setting is changed for both the driver's seat and passenger's seat.)" I tried it 10 times before it finally worked, I still don't know what I did wrong the first 9 times! But since it's in the Subaru Service Manual, I suppose you could make your dealer do it if necessary!

SUCCESS!! Finally! I don't even know how many times I had to try until I got it to work. I think what did it for me was to wait until the seatbelt light stopped blinking after the first buckle. I noticed that even after buckling in for the first time, it would continue to blink a few times before stopping. I waited until it stopped and then proceeded with the remaining 19x. Ken

[quote name='centerpunch']It's a REALLY BAD IDEA to mess with this circuitry or try to fool it. The seat sensor may even have some effect on the airbag control module. The procedure to turn off the sound is in the Subaru manual, page SB-7, under "Permanent Cutoff." It says, and I quote: "How to cut: Repeat fastening and unfastening the driver's seat belt for 20 times within 30 seconds after turning the ignition switch on. Enabling and disabling is done with the same operation. (The setting is changed for both the driver's seat and passenger's seat.)" I tried it 10 times before it finally worked, I still don't know what I did wrong the first 9 times! But since it's in the Subaru Service Manual, I suppose you could make your dealer do it if necessary![/quote] Interesting, I flipped through the manual and I didnt read that part anywhere.. but I'll do it again tomorrow just to the driver seat. I thought it was only temporiarily for each time you start the car.. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Xenonk'] Interesting, I flipped through the manual and I didnt read that part anywhere.. but I'll do it again tomorrow just to the driver seat. I thought it was only temporiarily for each time you start the car.. Keefe[/quote] It's not in the owner's manual, it's in the Service Manual. I downloaded parts of the service manual ($20 for 3 days access).

ONLY DO IT ONCE. Finally got mine. :D Here is how I did it... 1.) Turn the key to on 2.) Buckle/unbuckle the seatbelt 20 times in 30 seconds. 3.) Turn key off That did it for me.... I think that I was disabling it and then re-enabling it since I was doing it twice....

I had the same complaint! I wear my seatbelt when I drive but I don't need the annoying chime when I'm just sitting in the driveway listening to the radio. Here's what I was told to do and it worked! Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the Accessory position. Engage and disengage the seatbelt about 20-30 times as fast as you can. Turn the key to the Off position then start the car. That should do it!

[quote name='brad21']Okay, before you go jumping to conclusions, I always wear my seatbelt. I just don't need big brother telling me so. So, does anyone know how to disconnect it or which fuse to pull?? :o Brad 05 GT Wagon, White[/quote] You've probably taken care of this by now but if not, try this. Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the ACC position. Engage and disengage the seatbelt about 20-30 times as fast as you can. Turn the key to the Off position then start the car. That should do it!

Just wondering if anyone's tried, but if you want to, can you re-enable the seatbelt chime??? :o And btw, when you guys say it chimes a few times when you start the car, are you stationery or have you already moved forward several metres (it never seems to chime when i'm reversing).

Archived