LegacyGT.com

Seatbelt Idiot Bell Disconnect

brad21

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if there are multiple revisions of the relevant control module. I've had my LGT since June and have tried at least a dozen times to disable the chime, using all the various techniques suggested in this thread, and have not yet succeeded. Maybe I have an 'early' version that doesn't allow the disable? Anyone else having problems with this - how 'old' is your 2005 Legacy?

[quote name='kenzo'] have tried at least a dozen times to disable the chime, using all the various techniques suggested in this thread, and have not yet succeeded.[/QUOTE] Nah. It's just YOU! ;) Seriously, you might be on to something. There might be a different or non-existent method of doing this on earlier versions of the firmware.

[quote name='Black_Legacy']wow this is a long thread I stopped at page 10 lol. Sounds like people don't read their owner manuals. I found it right away and it worked the first time.[/QUOTE] I read all the manuals I get, including car manuals. I read this forum and know how to use the 'search' facility very well. Congratulations on your immediate success, and thank you for assuming that the rest of us not visited by your good fortune are somehow deficient. Please don't ever look for help here or we will be forced to make the same assumptions about your ineptitude. Perhaps a small wager is in order if you are willing to meet. If you can disable the chime for me within 10 tries, I'll pay you $100. If you can't, pay me $100. Sounds like easy money, right? Awaiting further constructive comments, kenzo :)

OK, I had to do it two times to get it to work. What IS the deal with 1 vs 2? I made sure I followed the same pattern when I did it with only 1 iteration and then with 2 iterations. 1 iteration NEVER worked for me but when I did the sequence twice it worked first time. Either the first iteration was an error or something is goofy here. Why does 1 work for some and not others? Does that mean that everyone that had to do it twice did something wrong during the first sequence? I THINK NOT! LONG LIVE THE TWOFERS! The only twist I gave it is I left the key in the ignition in-between the first iteration and the second iteration of the 20 in and outs. I shut the car off, let the lights die out and then clicked it on again for iteration #2. Clicked key off, pulled key out and then tested.

Scary thing happened over the weekend - after two months of auditory bliss after having disabled my seatbelt warning in late August - the chime started its ugly chant again. To my knowledge the battery has never been disconnected. I was parked at the airport over the weekend and when I started the car up the chime started going. I was fiddling through my wallet for the parking ticket and suddenly the chime came on again after about 20 seconds. It's rather curious since this had been fixed for a couple of months. I re-applied the fix but I sure hope I don't have to do this every two months. Six times a year will make me reach for a pair of wire cutters.

Hmm thanks for the update, sounds a little strange that the car would reprogram itself like that especailly if no work had been done on the car. Let us know how is goes over the next view weeks. We might have to get the boys to program a refix. Adam.

I didn't read through all 21 pages, but want to note that two cycles worked for me the first time through. I just got my car this week. One interesting point I noticed while turning the seatbelt ding off (and this maybe a re-post but I wasn't about to read past pg 10), was that the programming that turns the headlights off when you have the car in N and set the e-brake was also turned off. Now, when I set the e-brake the headlights stay on (which I consider a good thing). I am not sure of the logic that had the default programming set to disable the headlights when the e-brake was set. Any ideas?

No, it switches the headlights. I was driving last night with headlights on and left the car running to run into a store for a minute. When I set the e-brake, the headlights went out. After doing the seatbelt bell disco, the e-brake no longer shuts the headlights off.

I'm sorry patagonian[b]lgt[/b], I think you are confused. :( Here's my experiences: I often leave the light switch on the stalk to the left of the steering wheel in the middle position. In that position, officially only the marker lights are on. The headlights are off. But since I haven't disabled the DRLs, the headlights also burn at a reduced voltage. When lifting the parking brake with the engine running, the DRL (headlights) go out but the marker lights are still lit. If I turn the stalk switch all the way on, not only do my fog lights come on because I tend to leave that switch on all the time, but the headlights are officially on as well. Lifting the parking brake doesn't turn off the headlights. Try it out and see if I'm correct. I'd be very interested to hear if yours is different! I was about to ask how you accomplished this yesterday because I hadn't heard of this option yet. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, so today I take in my Leg for a subwoofer install. I get in and hear the thumping bass and ALSO the idiot bell that I successfully got rid of months ago. Obviously the battery was disconnected, but doing the 20 disconnect deal worked once again and I am annoying chime free. Only did the 20 click thing one time thru too.

I remember my father cursing the idiot bell in his Mercury Comet. It sounded more like a fire alarm than today's polite chime. His solution (until he saw me copy him), was to disable it by hooking the belt latch onto the door lock. Lucky for us, we can disable the chime, claim triumph over the safety do-gooders and still buckle up. For all the legitimate reasons to disable the chime, I suspect that some of us don't buckle up until we're under way, after organizing CDs, cellphones, wallet, etc. Personally, I've got some bad habits I need to break, so I'm leaving the chime enabled for a while longer. I've got a little one watching me now. Besides, if it's not the idiot bell, it's my wife chiming in to "please buckle up, honey". And you think disabling the chime is difficult...

[color=black]Got the wife to help. Had the wife hands on the keys and my hands on the seatbelt ready for clicking. It worked the first time. Happy as a kid, then the wife mention you shouldn't have disable it. Oh well, it's my car, but less sex as compare to extra sex for few of you. [/color] [color=black][font=Times New Roman]Pat.[/font][/color]

Archived