LegacyGT.com

Seatbelt Idiot Bell Disconnect

brad21

still no luck for me :( apparently I'm a moron. so does one start with the seatbelt already buckled as AlD suggests? how long are people pausing in between the buckle and unbuckle? is it immediate or do you wait a second or so?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ooooooooo! I'm so excited to read this I'm going to run out and do it right now..be right back!!!! AWESOME!! now I can drive around carelessly without my seatbelt on:D
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

still no luck :confused: I've done this procedure at least a dozin times and i'm starting to feel like someone must be videotaping me and I'm about to get Punk'd. here's what I've tried: 1. Get in the car 2. Get seatbelt buckle in left hand and in position. 3. Put the keys in the ignition and turn to 2nd position (so that the dash lights come on but) making sure not to go to the 3rd position (which starts the car). The seatbelt chime starts. 4. Immediately buckle the seat belt and unbuckle it. 5. Repeat 19 more times finishing with the seatbelt unbuckled. 6. Turn key to the OFF position and (performed 50% of the time) remove keys from ignition. 7. Pause about 10 seconds and then start the car. 8. Listen to the annoying chime AGAIN. :( any idea WTH i'm doing wrong? I'm losing my mind!

[quote name='tu11ym0n']still no luck :confused: I've done this procedure at least a dozin times and i'm starting to feel like someone must be videotaping me and I'm about to get Punk'd. here's what I've tried: 1. Get in the car 2. Get seatbelt buckle in left hand and in position. 3. Put the keys in the ignition and turn to 2nd position (so that the dash lights come on but) making sure not to go to the 3rd position (which starts the car). The seatbelt chime starts. 4. Immediately buckle the seat belt and unbuckle it. 5. Repeat 19 more times finishing with the seatbelt unbuckled. 6. Turn key to the OFF position and (performed 50% of the time) remove keys from ignition. 7. Pause about 10 seconds and then start the car. 8. Listen to the annoying chime AGAIN. :( any idea WTH i'm doing wrong? I'm losing my mind![/QUOTE] Just had to do mine again yesterday and got it on the first try.After you turn it to the off position, instead of removing the keys and waiting, start it right up. In other words, finish clicking, go to off, then start right up. Also, don't forget when you first start the car the chime is going to go off and always will, this only gets rid of the beeping after that initial start-up beep.

aha. I was starting up and since I heard the chime I assumed I didn't get it right so started over. I'll try again today (fingers crossed). does this mean that when you start up the chime will only sound for 1 sequence (6 -7 chimes) and then no longer chime?

[quote name='AlD']Hey, I'm new here. First, thanks for the info on killing the annoying bell chime. I did exactly what Roundboy listed but it still didn't work. The difference for me was starting with the seatbelt alreay buckled before inserting the key. Got that one on the first try. The directions then were perfect. Al[/QUOTE]hmmm i've tried this process about 2 dozen times with no luck. trying with the seatbelt already buckled is something I haven't tried. But how do you count to 20 with it already buckled? are you starting from 0 or 1 since it's already buckled? I have yet to hear confirmation from anyone with a 5EAT that got this to work. Does this only work on manual transmission cars? Anyone in NY/CT who got this to work and is willing to help a neighbor out?

[quote name='tu11ym0n']ok, I'm really not an idiot, but for the life of me I cannot get this to work. Has anyone with an automatic/SportShift transmission gotten this to work?[/QUOTE] Yup...did it yesterday. This is what I did... 1. Turn the key to on position, without starting. 2. As soon as the chiming starts, buckle the seat-belt (Leave it buckled in). 3. Wait for the seat-belt picture to stop blinking. 4. As soon as the picture stops blinking, start clicking the remaining 19 times (In and out counts as 1). 5. Turn the key off (Don't take the key out). 6. Start the car...and it should work. Good luck...I was trying all these other different ways that people were doing and nothing was working. I almost gave up, but that chiming was getting annoying.

[quote name='mr. linguini']Good luck...I was trying all these other different ways that people were doing and nothing was working. I almost gave up, but that chiming was getting annoying.[/QUOTE] thanks dude, I'll give it a try tomorrow morning. I'm pretty sure I tried this method before but I'll try it again (what's another attempt when I've already tried 40+ times).

[b]mr. linguini - you are a god among men! I FINALLY got the bloody thing to stop chiming!!! :) I think the key was waiting for the light to stop blinking on the first insertion, then clicking/unclicking like a madman 19 more times. :) :) :) [/b]

[quote name='tu11ym0n'][b]mr. linguini - you are a god among men![/b] [b]I FINALLY got the bloody thing to stop chiming!!! :)[/b] [b]I think the key was waiting for the light to stop blinking on the first insertion, then clicking/unclicking like a madman 19 more times.[/b] [b]:) :) :)[/b] [/QUOTE] A God you say? Well, I am great, but...... Nah, for real though...glad it worked out.

[quote name='jim malach']it never comes back when you have the clips for the seatbelts[/QUOTE] huh? :confused: an ECU reset will bring the dreaded noise back.

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]I have to admit... I was about a dozen clicks into this routine when I began to think I was the jerk who actually believed something like this would actually work. (I wonder what the guy who walked by me thought as I was feverishly clicking and releasing the belt!?) Then, amazingly, I turn the car on and the seat belt light doesn't come on! Someone deserves a Nobel Prize for figuring this one out.[/font][/size] [size=3][font=Times New Roman]In defense of seat belts - Ever since I was a child, seat belt use was so ingrained in me that I can't move the car to the other side of the driveway without subconsciously buckling my belt first. BUT, the chiming was driving me nuts when I was trying to detail my interior the other day, and when I was parked and waiting for my fiancé to meet me. Because I never move my car without wearing a seat belt, I don't need an annoying chime to ring the entire time I try to ArmorAll my dash![/font][/size] [size=3][font=Times New Roman]Being an Orthopaedic Surgery Resident, I know the value of seat belts. For some stupid reason, New York State says it's OK to not buckle up if you're in the back seat. Maybe I can dispel the myth for those of you who believe that you're "safe" in the back seat during an accident without a seat belt. YOU'RE NOT! In a 2 day span, I saw 4 people (3 different accidents) who suffered significant trauma because they were in relatively severe accidents and not buckled in. Every single one told me "You don't HAVE to wear your seat belt in the back seat." In all three of these accidents, the front seat passengers were wearing their seat belts, with none suffering more than minor scrapes and bruises. PLEASE BE SMARTER THAN THESE PEOPLE! The laws of physics apply equally to every passenger in a car.[/font][/size] [size=3][font=Times New Roman]Sorry - My rant is done now. :D [/font][/size]

well if you read what I wrote you would see I went to the junk yard to pick up the seat belt things that go into the clips you would not rant. and how many year does an orthopaedic surgery resident have to go to school 8 years p.s. sorry your wrong:)

[quote name='jim malach']well if you read what I wrote you would see I went to the junk yard to pick up the seat belt things that go into the clips you would not rant.[/QUOTE] Sorry Jim, I didn't get that from this: [quote name='jim malach']just go to the junk yard and find a subaru like form 2000 to 2005 and cut the back seat seat belts a get the click thing that goes into the clicker done and you can take them out when ever?[/QUOTE] :confused:

[quote name='jim malach']well if you read what I wrote you would see I went to the junk yard to pick up the seat belt things that go into the clips you would not rant. and how many year does an orthopaedic surgery resident have to go to school 8 years p.s. sorry your wrong:)[/QUOTE] I hope you don't think my rant was directed towards you...I'm not even sure what you're talking about...My rant was with people who don't wear seatbelts but think they are safe because they are in the back seat. Orthopaedic Surgeons - 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, 5-6 years of residency, and usually 1 year of fellowship (in a subspeciality)

Archived