LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I have had rear pads and rotors for a while and installed the left side a year ago because it had ground itself to powder back then. I did the right side yesterday because it finally had the steel pad backing touch the old rotor. It's official. I'm decrepit. Muscles I never use are complaining. My knees used to be in great shape but not anymore. My ability to find tools has disappeared. A set of impact socket extenders that would have made the job easy have gone AWOL.

What I did learn is that a heat gun is your friend. It got a stuck socket off a screw and got the rotor off easily that could not be removed by any degree of hammering. I have seen mechanics use a torch to do this sort of thing before but my daughter went camping this weekend and took all the propane bottles, so it was nice to see a heat gun was adequate for the job.

Nice job. I almost forgot what the engine bay looks like with the engine cover on.

I used http://www.solutionfinish.com black restorer. Amazing result with so little used!!

EDIT. Sorry, it sounds like I’m placing an ad but I looked at quite a few products and this one sold me!

enginebayblack.thumb.jpg.97e0460dbd06e439970c9fc6eb1914b7.jpg

Edited by luckybullitt

Subiefest 2021 in Montreal, Canada

spec.B REPRESENT!!

I heard there were two other ones after I left at 15:00 when it started pouring, and they closed the quarter mile track! For next year I’ll try to get a dedicated area just for B’s with a banner or flag.

Been trying to track down a really loud rattle and little squeak for a couple weeks now.

Finally figured it out. The TiC tranny crossmember bushings have disintegrated. They are almost gone. So frustrated, off to find better ones now.

They lasted approximately 5 years.

Edit: Whiteline bushings coming Thursday...

Edited by Infosecdad

Been trying to track down a really loud rattle and little squeak for a couple weeks now.

Finally figured it out. The TiC tranny crossmember bushings have disintegrated. They are almost gone. So frustrated, off to find better ones now.

I never changed my OEM bushings. Could you tell a difference when you changed those?

I never changed my OEM bushings. Could you tell a difference when you changed those?

I believe so, yes.

I went on a campaign to see how much drivetrain slop I could eliminate and how tight/smooth I could make a 5mt.

- Engine mounts and dogbone are Group N

- Tranny cradle bushings were TiC, now going to be Whiteline KDT901

- Tranny mount is Group N

- Laille solid carrier bushings

- Whiteline rear diff inserts

- Whiteline outrigger bushings

- STi Aluminum rear diff mount

- Moore blast plates

- Replacement driveshaft (I had a lot of play in mine)

Shifter:

- Group N rear mount

- Solid bushings for shifter and connection at the tranny

I have a little NVH, but really only in 5th gear on the hwy.

It had been getting worse, but I suspect that was the TiC bushings disintegrating... We'll find out when I can drive it on Friday with the new bushings.

Edited by Infosecdad

No kidding! I just ordered an STi tranny mount the other day, after bouncing back and forth between the Group N and STi mounts. Thanks Max for all of your previous posts.

At the same time I ordered Whiteline's KDT901 kit, as I think I'm beginning a similar endeavor to eliminating driveline slop.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Which TiC tranny crossmember bushings did you have? The black ones or pink?

I believe so, yes.

I went on a campaign to see how much drivetrain slop I could eliminate and how tight/smooth I could make a 5mt.

- Engine mounts and dogbone are Group N

- Tranny cradle bushings were TiC, now going to be Whiteline KDT901

- Tranny mount is Group N

- Laille solid carrier bushings

- Whiteline rear diff inserts

- Whiteline outrigger bushings

- STi Aluminum rear diff mount

- Moore blast plates

- Replacement driveshaft (I had a lot of play in mine)

Shifter:

- Group N rear mount

- Solid bushings for shifter and connection at the tranny

I have a little NVH, but really only in 5th gear on the hwy.

It had been getting worse, but I suspect that was the TiC bushings disintegrating... We'll find out when I can drive it on Friday with the new bushings.

Great list. Did you change these things one at a time and assess driving experience? If yes, do you recall which one had the most noticeable effect? Another forum member mentioned that the rear diff inserts made a big impact on gear shifting feel.

I went to a Kein trans mount from Group N after my Cusco diff brace didn't eliminate driveline shudder when putting the power down hard. Absolutely love it. NVH is totally manageable. Plus it's made by a guy who works for Lada, so it's pretty much a tractor part. Edited by awfulwaffle

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/santa-clara-rare2005-subaru-legacy/7368469434.html

Who’s cruising for a bruising? Not my listing, looks tgtbt.

Seems as though it's been sitting awhile (looking at the rotors), makes sense with the aforementioned HG issue.

I found a local listing here from an XT owner trying to get rid of CE28Ns:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/wto/d/seattle-rays-engineering-volk-racing/7376603230.html

Infosecdad pulled CE28Ns off best, change my mind!

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Oh! I just put those on this summer, yours literally disintegrated?? Is it winter driven?

It sure looks like they have, I have little pieces falling out and the metal of the crossmember is rubbing/banging together. I'll get pictures when I replace them this evening.

I had them in for approx 5 years and 50k miles. She's driving year round, but I lived in WA and TN and I think she only saw snow 2-3 times. So winter, but not winter.

Too bad it’s a salvage title.

This could be the shell for you if you don't care about the salvage title.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

It sure looks like they have, I have little pieces falling out and the metal of the crossmember is rubbing/banging together. I'll get pictures when I replace them this evening.

I had them in for approx 5 years and 50k miles. She's driving year round, but I lived in WA and TN and I think she only saw snow 2-3 times. So winter, but not winter.

Yep, the front set of TiC tranny crossmember bushings had disintegrated.

IMG_8915.thumb.jpg.17c573d24bdd0582a270ddd741c6caf3.jpg

IMG_8916.thumb.jpg.aef843749cc64afbc46f7dc95b90c998.jpg

The rear pair seem to be fine, the fronts were gone.

Installed the Whiteline set, will test drive it tomorrow hopefully.

Great list. Did you change these things one at a time and assess driving experience? If yes, do you recall which one had the most noticeable effect? Another forum member mentioned that the rear diff inserts made a big impact on gear shifting feel.

Sort of.

They contributed differently.

The moore blast plates made it easier to find a gear on a hard corner.

Each bushing tightened up the driveline a little more.

I did 1 or 2 at a time, I don't remember any particular one standing out over the others.

To really know, I would have to do each one as the first one, because once one is on, the results from future bushings becomes accumulative.

The solid bushings in the shifter really didn't make a difference from the whiteline I already had, so that's the only piece I probably wouldn't do again.

It's more the accumulative effect that's what I notice most.