LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

subaru engine builds. It's all over the map on builds. It's been a number of years but someone in Portland, OR built a "built" engine in their backyard under tarp. Thread with pics is on the forum.

sandy driveway:

pristine lab:

unlimited money:

And Awfulwaffle's build. The notebook and 1000's of measurements. I'm looking forward to startup and dyno run. I'm envisioning a phone call to the machine shop after the dyno run because the final numbers are off by parts of percent.

Rambling, but keep going & posting pics. Loving the dedication to the craft.

Picking up my Whiteline KTA124 tomorrow. Made a friend locally who's licensed to sell Whiteline and he beat amazon's price.

Anyone know offhand the bolt numbers back there to replace everything with new hardware for this install?

Picking up my Whiteline KTA124 tomorrow. Made a friend locally who's licensed to sell Whiteline and he beat amazon's price.

Anyone know offhand the bolt numbers back there to replace everything with new hardware for this install?

you have a whiteline connection? does your friend need more friends?

bolts? didn't someone do a subaru part number to mcmaster catalog comparison? the dealership can set you up.

WL makes a replacement “toe lockout” kit for back there too.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

bolts? didn't someone do a subaru part number to mcmaster catalog comparison? the dealership can set you up.

This would be great cuz I was on one of the oem sites trying to buy new bolts for when I put on the coilovers. I stopped at $150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He asked me if I wanted anything else on my order, and he'd check prices for me. If anyone wants to PM me part numbers I'll be seeing him tomorrow.

I'm certain I'll need to cut out all the old bolts, so one way or another I'll need new stuff. Just trying to keep the damn spending down.

I know you want specific part numbers for the KTA124 install, but you reminded me of this, so I wanted to share this for those that don't know.

Sometimes subaru will list the bolt sizes on parts.subaru.com, as shown in the attached image below. The bolt in the image is M8, 95mm in total length, and has 22mm of threads. You don't know the thread pitch, but in most situations, isn't it M8 x 1.25, and the same for M6, the thread pitch is usually the same?

If parts.subaru.com doesn't show the bolt specs, you can also sometimes find them by doing a google image search with the subaru part number, and the bag will show the bolt specs too.

bolts.jpg.4c9ca922c672462c17db8b5916b0065d.jpg

I didn't do anything to the car but on Monday I plan on using the Tig to weld a 1/4 wave resonator to my nameless midpipe. I'll take pics. I'm not a super experienced welder so I have some tubing to practice on first.

In other news, I have some exhaust stuff to sell that's been on the PNW facebook page without hits. I REALLY don't want to ship it because it's super cost prohibitive unless you have a shipping account.

JDM wagon prova mufflers and a generic stainless midpipe with vibrant ultra quiet resonator.

Edited by rhino6303

yer overthinking it. take all the parts outside on your sandy driveway and just put them together. (can't find the yt of it)

Eh there's overthinking and then there's thinking you have .0008 rod clearances after asking for .0025-.0030. Would ya make fun of me if I told you I went nuts and sorted wrist pins to get small end clearances identical?

...I sprinkled some sand in it to even things out. It's gonna blow up eventually anyways :)

Eh there's overthinking and then there's thinking you have .0008 rod clearances after asking for .0025-.0030. Would ya make fun of me if I told you I went nuts and sorted wrist pins to get small end clearances identical?

...I sprinkled some sand in it to even things out. It's gonna blow up eventually anyways :)

i have zip room to criticize anyone's process after 1500 posts to replace my hg and finally outsourcing the entire thing.

carry on, you give me hope that I can do it myself...eventually

Re rear suspension bolt part numbers: as much as I like bright and shiny, I simply inspected what looked rusty and guestimated what would need replacing. Some guys on here are doing awesome restoration builds, I'll be okay if everything torques nicely. I think I ended up with maybe $100 worth of hardware. A few nights of studying the part diagrams on heubergers website had me all set.

Re rear suspension bolt part numbers: as much as I like bright and shiny, I simply inspected what looked rusty and guestimated what would need replacing. Some guys on here are doing awesome restoration builds, I'll be okay if everything torques nicely. I think I ended up with maybe $100 worth of hardware. A few nights of studying the part diagrams on heubergers website had me all set.

I had to have awfulwaffle weld my old control arm to the ball joint and then three of us with hammers and pry bars finally got the old ball joint out. Car isn't even that rusty, but I seem to have problems with stuck stuff so I'm just planning to have to cut everything out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On topic.. Removed my 3 year old oem spark plug wires, couldn't get a nice snap on one of the cylinders after recent removal, thought that might be causing my stumble and puttering on cold starts. Put old oem packard wires with like 100k back in, snap onto plugs and into coil perfectly. A couple of the old wires were extremely hard to get out as well, very odd. I don't know who subaru switched suppliers to, but I like the old packard wires better.. They fixed my cold start issue too. Thought I had a leaking injector or something..

A couple years ago subaru introduced a new TOB with high heat grease inside, since we all know they don't last as long as they probably should.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10150949-9999.pdf

Subaru used one of those bearings when they did my clutch a few years ago. I probably could've reused the bearing with my recent clutch job since it only had 20k, but I wasn't comfortable reusing it with what my bellhousing looked like link, and it just felt wrong to not change the bearing knowing that they don't last in our cars. I went with an exedy clutch kit hoping it'd have the new style bearing, but I don't think it does.. So funny thing is, I bet my new bearing will probably last as long as the old bearing would have if I reused it.

Anyway, I know we've seen exploded TOB's in the past, but I thought this could be interesting to some. Interesting that one side is shielded (says NTN 6908z on metal side), and the other side with the black seal is a non-contact NTN 6908LB. I'm still a newbie with clutch operation, so I learned more about how TOB's work.. The center plastic piece doesn't spin at all, I didn't know that. Seems like when the front of the bearing touches the pressure plate fingers, that makes the TOB spin. I know, I know, some of you know this, I didn't know that. I'll also attach the pic of this bearing when it was installed for reference, so other newbies can visualize what I mean.

1.thumb.jpg.8bfb1079d58e17a1861989ab3bbd1e63.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.92692e01265a17fcfa2f423f2a942fdf.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.aef1f600e882759ffd5b155af3966ed5.jpg

bearing.thumb.jpg.86be7e8cc51493710420b3c4fb64a142.jpg

22.thumb.jpg.57055c1ef1092c4b7b54b35cd6f16a22.jpg

Edited by apexi

They really are a love hate relationship and if you can't accept that you own the wrong vehicle.... Ps my Beretta is no different... LMAO.

AVCS not functioning on drivers side, changed sensor and solenoid so now to investigate the cam gear itself. All the damn reused parts on this build are going to haunt me I know it.

It also has a passenger side TGV problem. I'll change that motor while I'm in here.

f31a3199de88c7cce8ef89fdf694d0d0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Wellp, didn't quite make it but I'm close. Just needs intercooler plumbed and rad installed tomorrow. For those who were interested - the 08-14 WRX intercooler core from Cobb bolts right up, all three mounting points are the same on the LGT. Crash bar lines up right as well. Will finish install with plumbing and report back.

IMG_20210425_201207.thumb.jpg.6fd51e9569bab1ddd544f8ea2cf0f504.jpg

I bought some F/R sets of Pinks (GT Wagon spec) to replace the MSI springs on the Bilsteins...I thought I was done with this stuff.

New? Wonder who's selling them still.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Fantastic news. Have you test-fit the bumper cover to see if it plays nice?

That core looks massive.

Nope, not yet - that's a tomorrow after work task as well.

I definitely underestimated the size of the core - for some reason I was expecting something between ETS and AVO, a happy medium. We'll see how I like it. Running it with the 16G for break-in, after which looking at something in the 60 lbm/min size range. Will be interesting to see how much the piping and huge core impact throttle response on the 16G.

Edited by awfulwaffle