LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

How the hell am I supposed to get those rear motor mount bolts out?! Tried to install my GroupN motor mounts from my old motor today, everything was going great, but just couldn't get to those rear bolts. Think I need to go tool shopping soon.

Yeah that's fun... I had to loosen my mounts when I was installing my engine. Easy to get when it was up a bit... Once dropped down it was a bit more of a pain in the ass to reach. :)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I looked at a photo of it?

It’s currently sitting at the lot where we park our rigs, waiting for me to return.

Even with the miles it has on it, it’s ridiculous fun to drive. Everything is still tight and the engine feels almost perfect. Just... need to figure out why it slams into 4th kinda hard every now and again. [emoji2369]

Looking forward to going wingless and putting stock rims and summer tires on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How the hell am I supposed to get those rear motor mount bolts out?! Tried to install my GroupN motor mounts from my old motor today, everything was going great, but just couldn't get to those rear bolts. Think I need to go tool shopping soon

Also did a little rust repair inside the gas door. Grinded down some bubbly paint, rust treated the lower seam and threw a quick coat of paint down.

Also thoroughly lubed my front sway bar.

Flex-head 3/8" ratchet handle and a regular 14mm socket did the job for me. The ideal tool would be a flex-head 14mm ratcheting box wrench. Also a floor jack under the oil pan lifting the motor, and the wanton disregard for the well-being of your hands in case of the jack failing to be comfortable jamming your hands in between the subframe and the block :lol:

I was more nervous watching the random video or two before starting, than when actually doing it. And I put a wood block in there as a hopeful failsafe for the motor falling off the jack.

And yeah, I was thinking something flexible would help. I don't ever really mind buying tools

I was more nervous watching the random video or two before starting, than when actually doing it. And I put a wood block in there as a hopeful failsafe for the motor falling off the jack.

And yeah, I was thinking something flexible would help. I don't ever really mind buying tools

Lately me and my wife have a joke when going to harbor freight or some place similar, if either one of us is there we'll txt the other one, "Hey need anything from Harbor Freight while I'm here" the correct reply is "All the Tools" :lol:

Ever since buying this latest house I've been outfitting myself with every tool you could think of to make things easier... I don't know how I did all the work I did before from a small 2 bay uninsulated garage that I could barely open the doors of my cars fully. I now need a shop to store all the specialty tools that I've bought. ;)

Oh and I did this to my legacy's yesterday... (yes the shops in disarray, I also have a transmission project that I'm working on) Tearing the 07 down to get the 06 on the road for good... Exhaust out, suspension out, intake box out, intercooler out, wheels off, splash guards off, radio out, and soon to be rear seat out. Can't give up the 60/40 fold down... hell no...

PXL_20210330_192041193.thumb.jpg.fb9fd3663a20b82b8bc17e62281c2090.jpg

Edited by B-BGTLimited

Agree on checking TMIC outlet hose after engine maintenance as a best practice. Same happened to me after a visit to the shop checking a fuel odor source.

Got on highway, car wouldn’t rev past 3k. Felt like it was bouncing off the rev limiter.

Doesn’t build confidence for the shop’s attention to detail though... [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found gas dripping where the pump access hole is. New tank inbound. Broken studs on the flange will do that.

While your there, check the fuel filler tube, and the brake fluid metal fitting that is known to rust out and leak brake fluid.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Slapped the new tab on the rear plate.

I was gonna do the oil change this evening, but O'Reallys was out of the Wix filters for the car!

Maybe also overworked the clutch a tiny bit...

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Replaced the passenger side front axle seal, not my favorite thing to do.

Got it all sorted, hopefully did it well enough that it doesn't leak.

Need to clean up and list some parts (garage isn't big enough)...

Slapped the new tab on the rear plate.

I was gonna do the oil change this evening, but O'Reallys was out of the Wix filters for the car!

Maybe also overworked the clutch a tiny bit...

SC

I always used Wix filters for every other car I had but I had a problem where Wix filters would unscrew themselves on the Subaru. I currently have an Amzoil filter on the car now and this seems to hold tight with no problems. It got to the point where I would have to get under the car and hand-tighten the Wix filter on a monthly basis. The oil in a Subaru seems to have the same mindset as a 10 mm socket - it keeps trying to escape.

Is anyone still running the "Big Kahuna" filter on their Legacy anymore?

If memory serves me right that was an RX8 filter, this was larger but had the same specs from a bypass valve, and micron filtering specification. I think you gained a little bit of oil capacity, nothing extreme, maybe 1/2 a quart at best...

On the plus side more surface area of the filter would give you more life when strictly talking about removing debris from the oil.

This bit of knowledge may have been lost in the void.

+1, I still use that filter as well. Mazda dealer nearby, they're cheap, don't see why I would use anything else. Only drawback is since it's taller, it theoretically will heat up your oil more than the smaller OEM filters since it exposes more area to be heated up by the headers. Probably a marginal impact, and you can always heatshield the filter if that's a concern. Or just get an oil cooler like you should if you're tracking the car.

anyone have any great solutions for direct oil lines to the turbo?

Stock is fine. Why do you want to change it out ?

My vf52 has been fine with the OEM oil feed lines, less banjo filter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Watched this yesterday, got it from the outback.org forum.

Comparison of oil filters

Edited by Max Capacity

Don't worry, once the bottom cover is on, you won't see that area. ;)

Not to mention that up pipe...

I'm jealous...

Don't worry, once the bottom cover is on, you won't see that area. ;)

Not to mention that up pipe...

I'm jealous...

Yeah that's about what I'm down to in order to finish this car... Swapped the manifolds from my daily to this one since my heat shields existed... And that lower plastic shield also had to be moved over to this car since it was missing. It's amazing how much of this 06 was in such good condition and what wasn't as well as missing.

That up pipe is quite fresh... It's a catless that came with the 06 so he clearly got it from somewhere else.

Cannibalizing the 07 more and more each day... LOL

42c0d63f5ba3e1d27b01dc0640f0c6c9.jpg

1ecbc6d856fc30be7f53ef955764f83d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Edited by B-BGTLimited