LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Been negligent keeping up on maintenance.. figure I'll probably have to fix the CV axle now that it's grinding. While I do that, replace the LCA and since I have it all apart, put in the Koni inserts, and do the tie-rod ends while I'm in there. A whole cascade of stuff.

Does anyone remember who sold that through the trunk floor twist adjusters for the rear Koni replacements so I don't have to take apart the wagon inners every time I want to adjust them?

The tool is easy to make up from a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" tubing, just flatten the open end it should leave enough space to slip over the tab on the top of the shock.

Or use a pair of long needle nose pliers. Hey, needle nose vise-gripes may work too.

The trick is figuring out the location to make a hole in the interior piece.

I do recall someone had a picture a few months back...Damn, where did I save that too...

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Gotcha. I think I antiseized the shock bolts when I lowered the car 14 years ago but the LCA bolts are going to be a pain. Gonna start bathing them in pb blaster this weekend. It'd be great if you can find those pictures!

So finally got the upgraded valves, springs, retainers, and guides needed to finish building the heads and get the motor assembled and timed. Dropped the parts off at the engine builder and was told it will be ready sometime between April 9th - 15th

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Gotcha. I think I antiseized the shock bolts when I lowered the car 14 years ago but the LCA bolts are going to be a pain. Gonna start bathing them in pb blaster this weekend. It'd be great if you can find those pictures!

Here's the longer adjuster, see post #144

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/koni-shock-strut-epic-engineering-spring-install-145744p4.html?highlight=knob

Someone said you can pull up the front of the panel carefully hold it up and stick the knob in to adjust too.

ask google the question.

google found this, https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/koni-rear-adjustment-extensions-207887.html see post #2 in that link.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

New Battery today - non driving in Covid really took it's toll.... Although battery was last replaced in 2013 - so I guess not too shabby:lol:

And a quick drive around the block shut down the year long ABS Light that I thought was a bad sensor I was too lazy to get looked at.....:p:cool:

Popped pistons out of a friend's Type RA block to gap rings. Factory gaps on the top and intermediate compression rings measured out to a whopping .009 and .011 respectively. About half of what Manley recommends for their 99.5mm pistons.

Coincidentally, this is what every ring that came out of my RA block looked like after an admittedly hard 35k miles at ~300-350 whp per Virtual Dyno, depending on fuel. Note the flare at either side of the gap due to what must have been the ring ends butting.

IMG_20210325_170410.thumb.jpg.587f24b472c86f18778eb20ba703f229.jpg

Edited by awfulwaffle

Few updates over the weekend.

[ATTACH]290876[/ATTACH]

Replaced the AVO TMIC with a Grimmspeed; GS is MUCH bigger [emoji38]

Had to remove the STi strut brace to fit it.

Replaced the 200k mile clutch slave and rubber hose with OEM from sixstar Bernie (thank you!); clutch feels amazing now.

Replaced HID bulbs as one was out and the other flaky.

Wrapped the GS intake box with Lava Heat Shield mat.

Modified the GS radiator shroud to work with the intake snorkel.

Cut off the tool tray and bent the front down in front of the snorkel so it forms an extended lip.

All in all a good weekend for being hopped up on pain meds for a kidney stone...

Did you happen to have STi flex strut bar or just the regular bar? My GS TMIC fits with flex bar.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Popped pistons out of a friend's Type RA block to gap rings. Factory gaps on the top and intermediate compression rings measured out to a whopping .011 and .009 respectively. About half of what Manley recommends for their 99.5mm pistons.

Coincidentally, this is what every ring that came out of my RA block looked like after an admittedly hard 35k miles at ~300-350 whp per Virtual Dyno, depending on fuel. Note the flare at either side of the gap due to what must have been the ring ends butting.

All the more reason why I gapped my brandy new short block... It's making me feel more and more confident that is going to be a major contributor to longevity.

Intermediate ring had a smaller gap than the top? Mine averaged around .009 for the top and .014 for the intermediate.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Edited by B-BGTLimited

Note the flare at either side of the gap due to what must have been the ring ends butting.

That is disconcerting...just when I was thinking of keeping it simple and sticking to an RA block when I build my engine. Now you have me questioning everything

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

That is disconcerting...just when I was thinking of keeping it simple and sticking to an RA block when I build my engine. Now you have me questioning everything

I think the answer really is to gap the rings. I went with .020 for the top ring and .024 for the intermediate on this motor. This is a bit tighter on the top ring than what Manley recommends on their 2618 pistons. A bit looser on the intermediate ring because this one seems like it runs hotter - the flare was worse on those than the top rings. Could be a difference in thermal expansion coefficient also - I noticed when gapping these, the intermediate ring is way way softer than the top ring.

I haven't seen anything about the RA short block that has insured longevity over anything else. That's why I went with an 06 shorty and just opened up the gaps. I ended up at average of 0.015 on the top and 0.023 on the intermediate. That's between stock and what my forged CP setup has.

Oh and I made my own Koni adjuster tool from two extended tools glued together... LOL

Works great on the rears!

2647e9e0b904ac25a54c5cee23143b7f.jpg

I got real handsy working on my struts recently and broke one of the rear covers, but coincidentally it kind of works as an access. Not easy to spot the damage since it's carpet and super easy to get to the top mount now, might actually cut the other side similarly.

I haven't seen anything about the RA short block that has insured longevity over anything else. That's why I went with an 06 shorty and just opened up the gaps. I ended up at average of 0.015 on the top and 0.023 on the intermediate. That's between stock and what my forged CP setup has.

Oh and I made my own Koni adjuster tool from two extended tools glued together... LOL

Works great on the rears!

2647e9e0b904ac25a54c5cee23143b7f.jpg

You need to fill up. Your mpg at idle is horrendous. Your coolant temp is probably only 40deg away from blowing a head gasket. Oh and its real blurry, but does that biatch have 259k miles on the odo???

About two weeks ago I went and got a fairly well maintained car for $300. Finally managed to get it registered today which means I'll get to park the outback for a bit and do a bunch of maintenance to it. Since it won't be used for doing delivery any longer I can let it be down for more than a day at a time.

Everything is better with pictures so here. 98 olds intrigue 260k

56a4a0cdf3c5202d303c1ef191a9ee92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About two weeks ago I went and got a fairly well maintained car for $300. Finally managed to get it registered today which means I'll get to park the outback for a bit and do a bunch of maintenance to it. Since it won't be used for doing delivery any longer I can let it be down for more than a day at a time.

Everything is better with pictures so here. 98 olds intrigue 260k

56a4a0cdf3c5202d303c1ef191a9ee92.jpg

I friggin loved those cars. I used to work for a Chev/Buick/Olds dealer and drove those things brand spanking new! I assume you have the 3800 in that?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have a friend who works for Ford. Apparently, some folks over there are of the opinion that 'if GM could make a car that looks as good as their engines run, we'd be out of business.'

That turd's gonna run forever. Get you that Eaton M90 and do sick one-wheel peelz posthaste.

I have a friend who works for Ford. Apparently, some folks over there are of the opinion that 'if GM could make a car that looks as good as their engines run, we'd be out of business.'

That turd's gonna run forever. Get you that Eaton M90 and do sick one-wheel peelz posthaste.

Quaife actually makes a torsen lsd. Or used to. I have reason to believe they still do. No performance parts until the bmw runs though.

Yep! 3800. The only year it was in the intrigue. First domestic car I've had so I'm excited that I accidentally bought what seems like a cool car.

Seats are actually AWFUL! They only come up to my upper back and they've got that issue of well used seats that slope toward the outside. Gonna be the first thing replaced with some sorta bucket.