LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

With the sticky dash issue - I noticed my wagon dash occasionally getting tacky, but only in certain spots and especially since it's been garage kept. I have a single window in the garage and it seems like the sun that does make direct contact with the dash is where the issue is spotting the most. I cleaned it up and put cardboard over the window, still inconclusive on the results though.

My 07 hasn't been garaged since 2010 when I got it and my dash has not shown any sticky spots... [emoji2371]

All that I can say is I don't use any shine products on it either. I just wipe it down with a microfiber, every few months lol, to clean it off.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

No sticky spots here either. I wipe my dash with Armor-all religiously because i have a serious aversion to dust being in my car.

Got my block back from the machine shop, measured it out. Mains look good, but they overshot my bores by .0015 for a .005 total PTWC. Took it back, they confirmed what I found, and are fixing by boring over to 99.75 which was the original plan. I had just hoped they'd be able to clean up the scoring on the walls within .0005 and and bump me from .003 to .0035 with my existing 99.5 drop-ins. Got a reasonable explanation for what happened, so I'm not inclined to talk shit as long as they make things right. Glad I have a quality bore gauge available now. If I were still using T-gauges, I would probably still be making sure I didn't dick up the measurements.

So my car was in storage for about 5+ years (technically still is...), when I cracked a ring land pulled the engine. Life got interesting as I moved cross country and had other family issues in that timeframe.

During this time I had my car in a garage under a car cover the whole time and the dash was not sticky when it went it but was when it came out. I did put armor all on it when it went into storage and I would pull the car out once in a while to wash it and put it back in the garage.

At first it looked chalky white this came off ok with plain water and dish soap and has gotten better since then. I would still replace it if I have the chance.

I do have a big sticky issue with the tweeter trim on the doors, those are very tacky now, I am trying to figure out how to neutralize that so I can refinish those parts.

Sticky dash... Have you seen this...

https://stickydashfix.com/

Both my cars have always sat outside. My wagons dash is still perfect, the Spec's has a slight tackyness.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Took all the rear hatch floor pieces out yesterday and cleaned everything up real good. Kilmat finished up today. Turned out great and so far exhaust note is nicely toned down inside. Gonna do the front doors next.

Also dialed up the stiffness on my rear coilovers a good bit 20/24, and much better.

573109551_Screenshot_20210312-1825442.thumb.png.add40bcc94cdcf2b9fb2c5a72d60b546.png

383060898_Screenshot_20210312-1825482.thumb.png.db399f7b58d013c5cb8e0de57e770712.png

Paid it off!

Also did a bit of vacuuming since I was cleaning up the Civic to get rid of it.

SC

Edited by Smithcraft
Just a month early, but it looks like I saved about $60 in interest.

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Since we're talking about the sticky dash issue -

I the last few days, the area of the dash that's above the glove box (where I guess the airbag is) has become shiny, but it's not sticky and doesn't feel any different from any other part of the not sticky dash.

Is this something different from the sticky dash that we are familiar with, or is this a variation of the sticky dash?

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Since we're talking about the sticky dash issue -

I the last few days, the area of the dash that's above the glove box (where I guess the airbag is) has become shiny, but it's not sticky and doesn't feel any different from any other part of the not sticky dash.

Is this something different from the sticky dash that we are familiar with, or is this a variation of the sticky dash?

SC

Sticky dash... Have you seen this...

https://stickydashfix.com/

Both my cars have always sat outside. My wagons dash is still perfect, the Spec's has a slight tackyness.

:)

My outback started doing this too. Queued a cart to fix two cars.

Well it's alive! https://youtu.be/PFEJoasCDrMNo bad noises, oil pressure, good coolant temp, and no leaks! Now to just finish up the brake system... Oie... Oh and put the intercooler, intake elbow and battery back into the 07 daily... LOL

Poor daily... LOL

86683228047fe674bc19c01ebc87d5ac.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Edited by B-BGTLimited

3/10- trans cooler fitting on radiator was puking fluid. Limped it to dealer after adding 2 quarts. $578 later, it has a new radiator. [emoji2369]

At least I didn’t have to purge the cooling system myself. That’s an irritating task..

The tech was kind enough to not charge me for topping off the trans fluid, and he showed me the drivers side lower rad support was getting soft.

I showed up at the dealer basically the minute they opened.. no appointment, nothing. They took my “customer states:” and sent the car straight into the shop. I was offered a complementary courtesy car for the day but I chose to just wait. Only took 3 hours, including having my car washed.

Can’t complain.. just would have been nice not to have that problem the second I got back to my car from being on the road for 3 days.. at least I had the foresight to have my wife drop off 3 quarts of scoobsmission fluid for me while I was away. (trans was starting to slip on my drive to work the previous day)

Since the repair, I’m happy with the way it shifts but the spillage from the antifreeze is still stinking.

Discovered that the exhaust heat shields have all done that thing they do, so that will need addressed.

Overall, the condition of this car has been about as expected if perhaps slightly better overall. Hoping the rear wheelwell rust repair goes smoothly when I can get to it. Contrasting this one to the one I lost in the fire... that one was literally 100% rust-free. I miss that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anyone w a dash sticky enough to warrant it, SOA may still honor their expired recall. Plead your case directly to them. They will have you get dealer inspected to verify need. And then offer a credit for the amount of a new assembly. If paying for install, expect a several hour bill, to the tune of the purchase price of the dash. This was the process I undertook two springs back, ‘19, and finally received and replaced in spring of ‘20. Fwiw, the new assembly does not seem like the same material/pad on the top layer. Much more of a molded plastic which may or may not have it’s own issues. My exp has been 50/50 garage and driveway parked over my ownership, religious about windshield sunshade, and never applied product to the dash directly. Did get some backdraft from using Invisible Glass on the windshield and mine wasn’t as sticky as others but had started tearing in places. Dealer tech looked at it for seconds before agreeing could use refresh. New one’s cleaner but can be scratched if not careful.

TL;DR- call Subaru of ‘Merica and tell them how much it means to you as an owner, enthusiast and brand loyalist. They may honor the expired recall.

I spent the day washing, did fall out treatment on the hatch, clay bar on the hatch and a few other spots, touched up and cleared rock chips, polished (by hand, no machine here) and waxed my wife’s car. Probably spent 6 hours of actual work, spread over 12 hours.

TL;DR- call Subaru of ‘Merica and tell them how much it means to you as an owner, enthusiast and brand loyalist. They may honor the expired recall.

I can echo the same thing for the brake line recall. The dealer will probably deny the recall but just start blowing up SOA until they agree to replace the brake lines.

I'm fearing that the 06 dash is to this point of "stickyness" Its white and chalky now, not what I remember when I bought the car, but it's also very chewed up around the Cubby area from the PO's removing that without using plastic tools I'm guessing.

I was planning/hoping on swapping in my 07 dash into the 06, but of course I'm sure there are some differences that will end up making that a headache... :)

If that doesn't work I can only hope I can clean up the current one and maybe seal it somehow.

Also updated my "it's running" post above with a video. :)

Edited by B-BGTLimited

I scheduled to have the timing belt/water pump done..

I know I can do it myself but between kids..other hobbies/interests/cars...stimulus coming I said screw it a shop can do it.

Follow up with kit/parts used and a price if you don't mind. Some of us could use the persuasion one way or the other.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Purchased a Tial 38mm and Invidia catted DP. Parts list is complete: Killer B header, FP Blue, EWG and DP! Might add an FPR for good measure. Killer B header will be sent for Swain coating. If all goes well she'll be on the dyno with an IPT trans by June/July.