LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

haven't seen a Beretta on the road since the late 90's :D
Not surprising... They rust out like a mofo... LOL

I own 3... That one which is my 12 second street legal drag toy, a stock 1990 Indy 500 Pace car and a 1988 Twin Turbo 5spd AWD Concept car.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Seemed like the little oil pressure sensor that lives under the oil fill neck was leaking oil out the sides, decided to replace it after almost 250k since they're cheap. Debated way too much about what to use to seal the threads. A subaru doc online says you can use 3M High-Strength Threadlocker #08730 instead of the threebond 1324 the fsm recommends. Bought permatex high temp thread sealant, returned because after looking into it more it looked like it would take forever to cure in cold temps.

Settled on loctite 243 since some people online said that's the same as the 3m stuff. The 3m stuff looks like red loctite, but I don't know, red seems overkill for this? I guess loctite 243 is like everyday blue loctite 242, except it works better on metals like stainless steel where 242 isn't so good, and it also has better oil resistance. So, crossing my fingers for no leaks down the road.

sensor.thumb.jpg.14d3d2f8a03c908e0f9b28c68aced595.jpg

Settled on loctite 243 since some people online said that's the same as the 3m stuff. The 3m stuff looks like red loctite, but I don't know, red seems overkill for this? I guess loctite 243 is like everyday blue loctite 242, except it works better on metals like stainless steel where 242 isn't so good, and it also has better oil resistance. So, crossing my fingers for no leaks down the road.

That's what I used for the oil pressure switch (front of the block adjacent to the power steering pump), also recommended to me by the machine shop that did my shortblock build. No problems so far.

Recently I've noticed my passenger seat belt chime going off intermittently, even though there's no passenger in the seat. My occupant detection system bypass module is still working - the pass. airbag display in the map light will switch from "OFF" to "ON" when I toggle the switch. Plugging in the seat belt makes it stop. The click-to-disable doesn't seem to work anymore, though it's possible I forgot how many clicks to try - though I'm still not sure why the ODS thinks there is someone in the seat in the first place. Maybe I need a higher resistance value for the "disarmed" side of the switch? Would anyone be willing to check the resistance of the 06-09 seat while empty and occupied? Edited by Underdog

Took a few hours drive in the car in nice cold dry weather. Love the way it drives, tight and very settled, with plenty of power to use. Body work quotes I am getting from few reputable places are not small, but the way this car feels on the road ... Too many memories with this car to just let it go. Wife says just buy a new one but can you really buy happiness?

Happy New Year everyone!

Middle son's 2010 OB just crossed 200K miles, so all 4 Subarus we have are now 200K+ club cars. Isn't that something?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Replaced the headlight assemblies on my 08 Legacy today. I found a good deal on Amazon at $179.99 shipped for the pair. I have been putting this off because of the age of the car and it being my daily. b4d41680a9e127bdbbf8ac8541aab0b5.jpgf5eb42218f5ae952208058def38866b1.jpg45e65edf6889f9fbd9334b61a4982ddb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Took a few hours drive in the car in nice cold dry weather. Love the way it drives, tight and very settled, with plenty of power to use. Body work quotes I am getting from few reputable places are not small, but the way this car feels on the road ... Too many memories with this car to just let it go. Wife says just buy a new one but can you really buy happiness?

Happy New Year everyone!

Middle son's 2010 OB just crossed 200K miles, so all 4 Subarus we have are now 200K+ club cars. Isn't that something?

I feel the same way. I have a newer truck, but my 08 legacy is still my favorite car to drive. I have a little over 177,000 miles on it and it is still smooth running. You make memories with these cars and it makes it hard to part with them. I've taken my Subaru as far east as Boston, Mass and as far south as Nashville, TN. Resale value is probably only around 3k tops and the car is worth more to me than that.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Recently I've noticed my passenger seat belt chime going off intermittently, even though there's no passenger in the seat. My occupant detection system bypass module is still working - the pass. airbag display in the map light will switch from "OFF" to "ON" when I toggle the switch. Plugging in the seat belt makes it stop. The click-to-disable doesn't seem to work anymore, though it's possible I forgot how many clicks to try - though I'm still not sure why the ODS thinks there is someone in the seat in the first place. Maybe I need a higher resistance value for the "disarmed" side of the switch? Would anyone be willing to check the resistance of the 06-09 seat while empty and occupied?

We have a thread somewhere about the seatbelt indicator lights being faulty due to poor solder connections. This is located in the overhead module above the windshield. The first thing to check is whether these indicators are showing the actual status of seatbelt connection / occupancy and if they are not correct, resolder them, preferably with lead-tin eutectic (63% tin, 37% lead) because the original problem was poor connections in the overhead module due to the use of lead-free solder. I did have this problem and corrected it by following the advice of that thread. Apparently the indicators are necessary for the logic to operate correctly. The resoldering fix takes about 15 minutes if you are lazy.

Could someone please let me know where this thread is?

Thanks for the reply. I performed that fix in my 09 OBXT and am familiar with it. The indicators do seem to be functioning correctly for seatbelt status - it’s the occupant detection that I think is incorrect. I had punctured the bladder in the passenger seat when I swapped parts over to my Bride seats. I made a voltage divider to simulate the bladder pressure sensor, and used a switch to toggle between two resistance values so I could simulate an empty seat and an occupied seat. I think what’s happening now is that the “empty” resistance is not quite right and the ODS brain thinks there is someone ver light in the passenger seat - hence the airbag being “off” but the seatbelt chime on. When I fasten the seatbelt - chime stops. When I toggle the switch on my bypass module the airbag goes from “off” to “on”, regardless of whether the seatbelt is connected. Also, sometimes it all behaves totally normal. The intermittent part makes me think you could be right, but it’s weird that the display otherwise works correctly.

Maybe I’ll open up my bypass module and try a higher resistance on the “disarmed” side of the divider.

edit: checked over my work - I had swapped R1 and R2 when I assembled the bypass. Corrected the error and all is behaving normally.

Edited by Underdog

That shop does have a great aesthetic.

I will have rust to deal with on this one and Madrig's carbon rear quarters may be a part of that... Thanks for the tip on the Marine treatment.

It was Ty Sparks who helped out and yes, it's Canadian. Both in that the 08's only went there and that it physically was there when found.

I could not thank Ty enough and his willingness to help out restored a little of my faith in humanity and demonstrated the realness of community here. On that note, all of my interactions with folks I've met here have been great and that really says a lot.

I'd REALLY love to see the stats on the 06-08 CA wagons if anyone knows how to pull those the way was done for the 05's

Ty has been an absolute great friend ever since I met him, he's helped me out with a ton of projects and is always willing to help with anything. You contacted the right person in Canada to get help with something like that!

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Starting the new year off right!

I finished up the prep on my gram lights for custom powder coating, the previous owner liked curbs a bit much. My little dewalt random orbital sander worked perfectly for smoothing out the edges.

I also finished up the prep on the jdm sti lip that came with my front clip that was cracked up a bunch in shipping. Cracks repaired, I just need to do final cleanup on it and prime and paint!

135223040_10164712852840096_3525330991288044433_o.thumb.jpg.a7a671db219c9e5ed740c4a46d7efea6.jpg

134962589_10164712853220096_3109042131247251916_o.thumb.jpg.9795f6fc2d34729c8b330ed7f54d1e03.jpg

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

This question probably appeared a thousand times but most posts are from ten years ago, so I’ll refresh, lol.

BBS STI Gold forged 17”, 5x100. What do they go for in good condition and are they really rare or not so much? Is it worth it for winter mags or will it be sacrilege!

Apparently Subaru ony did one year run which was on 04 STI? Is this correct? What did 03’s have?

Thanks for opinions and thoughts, might get a deal on’em so thanks in advance.

This question probably appeared a thousand times but most posts are from ten years ago, so I’ll refresh, lol.

BBS STI Gold forged 17”, 5x100. What do they go for in good condition and are they really rare or not so much? Is it worth it for winter mags or will it be sacrilege!

Apparently Subaru ony did one year run which was on 04 STI? Is this correct? What did 03’s have?

Thanks for opinions and thoughts, might get a deal on’em so thanks in advance.

Generally I see them go for $900-1000 in good condition, they are pretty rare.

'04 was the first year for STi in North America and the only year with 5x100 hubs.

Just a quick check in to thank you all for the phone calls, texts and messages. 2020 was interesting. Glad it's constant bearing and opening range in the rear view mirror.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Generally I see them go for $900-1000 in good condition, they are pretty rare.

'04 was the first year for STi in North America and the only year with 5x100 hubs.

Cool thanks but gone by the time I contacted seller. Might get OZ Prodrive P1 18” good price instead dark silver. Thoughts??

I own 3... That one which is my 12 second street legal drag toy, a stock 1990 Indy 500 Pace car and a 1988 Twin Turbo 5spd AWD Concept car.

Off topic... but can you send me info on the AWD car?? Never heard of a GM awd car from the 80's!?!?!

On topic.. car crossed 224k miles. Needs oil change, just bought new Kyb struts for the rear even though they are newish aftermarket stockers. Drive the car for the first time about a week ago, rona sux! 10-ish days of no driving makes you feel like a virign again.. just saying.....

Scotty

Cool thanks but gone by the time I contacted seller. Might get OZ Prodrive P1 18” good price instead dark silver. Thoughts??

You have nice taste for winter wheels :lol:

That said, I ran a set of 17" P1s for several years and love them.

They aren't the lightest, but they are built like a tank.

I now have 18" GC-010E as my primary. If I lived where I needed snow wheels, I would probably be running my 17" P1s ;)

Off topic... but can you send me info on the AWD car?? Never heard of a GM awd car from the 80's!?!?!

On topic.. car crossed 224k miles. Needs oil change, just bought new Kyb struts for the rear even though they are newish aftermarket stockers. Drive the car for the first time about a week ago, rona sux! 10-ish days of no driving makes you feel like a virign again.. just saying.....

Scotty

I think one of the Pontiac's came with a AWD option.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1980%27s+pontiac+AWD&rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS906US906&oq=1980%27s+pontiac+AWD&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.11341j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you're planning running snow tires, I'd try and find some 17's. I run the 5x100 STi's like you were trying to buy, they are the perfect size for winter duty for these cars.

You have nice taste for winter wheels :lol:

That said, I ran a set of 17" P1s for several years and love them.

They aren't the lightest, but they are built like a tank.

I now have 18" GC-010E as my primary. If I lived where I needed snow wheels, I would probably be running my 17" P1s ;)

Yeah lol now the running order will change😂. P1’s will go to summer. Keeping my winter boots on 17’s. New hakka 9’s on V7. I will shelf and possibly clean up OEM spec.B mags as to keepem for posterity lol

That's pretty awesome. Figured it would have to be a special labor of love/hate lol

This was my home shop after setting it up, and then you can see it got really busy over the past year or so... :)

They always start out so clean... lmao

LOL a Beretta! Only person I know that mods them is a friend back in PA that is trying to make a RWD drifty boy out of his first car...I have a feeling you know him given how small the Beretta community must be.

In other news. I am hoping to test my rebuilt power steering this week.

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild