LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

:whore:

Also, did you know if they removed the dash to install the airbag?

I wasn't there for it, but they did claim to have removed the dash. I said to the service consultant that I understood there was a way to swap out the airbag without removing it but he just said, "We don't do shortcuts."

I am not sure what the vehicle was that I was transported in. It had eight seats originally but had the middle row of seats removed and a plastic barrier behind the driver for COVID protection.

It's definitely the same size as one... LOL

It's the rear subframe/cradle in there.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Holy puck... How much was it and what's the part #?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Retiring today from daily driver service ( as I end my job of the last 22+ years ).

Purchased used in August, 2010 with roughly 28,000 miles

Blew the engine ( timing belt - broke early ) @ 181,000 ( sorry - would have to dig for the date ) - picked up new Subaru short block, re-did the heads, thru in a new clutch and a radiator... all work performed at Lank's Automotive, Beacon NY

Replaced the transmission @ 232,000 + miles ( sorry - would have to dig for the date ), with a 56,000 mile used unit from Redl's Auto Parts in Poughkeepsie (again, work done at Lank's)

Now at 371,235 miles.

Likely to be the only kayak hauler this summer in the Adirondacks with a JDM rear bar and Group N trans mount ( among several other nice things ) - and roughly 375,000 miles...

1663602551_371235on011421.jpg.1dcc0c1753940e5e0611458ad80702f2.jpg

Edited by STX 195

Retiring today from daily driver service ( as I end my job of the last 22+ years ).

Blew the engine ( timing belt - broke early ) @ 181,000 ( sorry - would have to dig for the date ) - picked up new Subaru short block, re-did the heads, thru in a new clutch and a radiator... all work performed at Lank's Automotive, Beacon NY

Replaced the transmission @ 232,000 + miles ( sorry - would have to dig for the date ), with a 56,000 mile used unit from Redl's Auto Parts in Poughkeepsie (again, work done at Lank's)

Now at 371,235 miles.

Likely to be the only kayak hauler this summer in the Adirondacks with a JDM rear bar and Group N trans mount ( among several other nice things ) - and roughly 375,000 miles...

This gives me hope, as NY cars in general are know for returning to earth by natural causes...

Scotty

That's not terrible when you factor in buying another one, then getting new bushings and refinishing it..

Scotty

Exactly, and the bigger issue was getting the main bushings. Subaru doesn't sell those separately so all you can do is poly if you decide to refinish an old subframe. I was going to blast and coat my original and replace the bushings but I didn't want to go to the poly option. Same with the front diff support bracket.

There were also a few other lateral links that weren't worth the trouble of cleaning, coating and replacing bushings vs buying a brand new unit.

All the powder coat I had done was only $425 so that was a steal.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Now at 371,235 miles.

That's the highest mileage I know of for these cars. Thank you for keeping it on the road!

I said to the service consultant that I understood there was a way to swap out the airbag without removing it but he just said, "We don't do shortcuts."

:rolleyes: From the link Boxkita shared the other day, the quicker method is an 'official' method the dealers can follow. Boxkita, correct me if I am wrong.

Subaru makes bikes now?! That's almost certainly a bike box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should have seen the box I received when I ordered the OEM catback exhaust. Huuuuge. And I still have it :spin:

You should have seen the box I received when I ordered the OEM catback exhaust. Huuuuge. And I still have it :spin:

Yes, the midpipe box was HUGE. Still managed to fit it inside ;) Ride home was very cramped :lol::lol::lol:

That's the highest mileage I know of for these cars. Thank you for keeping it on the road!

It's not been without it's challenges.

Tornado in 2018 bounced a tree off my house and landed on top of the car ( luckily - most of the weight of the tree was on the ground, but she did end up with a couple of small dents on the roof ) but I cut away a few branches and drove it out from underneath.

Smacked the hoof of a deer with the leading edge of the hood on the TSP in broad daylight - as it tried to jump out of the way...

And just had to replace the original starter a month or so ago @ 365,000 miles ( what a piece of crap, huh? )

I"m looking for Subaru to help me with a new suspension... in exchange for advertising... :)

266407362_052720TaconicStatePkwy.jpg.99804928cde9d86cf1381c680d871f20.jpg

694221461_051120PMThurman.jpg.ba77a8d4cd9021824161f4d3bffbaa1e.jpg

945507450_051518TornadoII.jpg.6a55ec43452e8fad23a51bb15feeb1f4.jpg

Edited by STX 195

You were able to fit it in a wagon?? WOW.

tenor.gif

It was oldest son's 05 OB but it's the same interior so yes I was able to barely fit it in. Passenger seat all the way forward, headrest removed, back lowered all the way so it's flat. Rear seat backs dropped. Then driver seat all the way forward, headrest removed, back tilted forward as much as possible to just leave some room for me. Then guys slid the box from the back under an angle and were able to close the rear gate.

It was very awkward to drive like that. Box kept hitting me on the back of my head. Good thing I didn't get into any accidents on the way home - the airbag would've killed me for sure.

It was oldest son's 05 OB but it's the same interior so yes I was able to barely fit it in. Passenger seat all the way forward, headrest removed, back lowered all the way so it's flat. Rear seat backs dropped. Then driver seat all the way forward, headrest removed, back tilted forward as much as possible to just leave some room for me. Then guys slid the box from the back under an angle and were able to close the rear gate.

It was very awkward to drive like that. Box kept hitting me on the back of my head. Good thing I didn't get into any accidents on the way home - the airbag would've killed me for sure.

While this is all very entertaining, is there a reason yall didn't just unbox it? I guess xt still has the box so maybe that's why.

While this is all very entertaining, is there a reason yall didn't just unbox it? I guess xt still has the box so maybe that's why.

Didn't want to damage the interior with all the sharp edges on flanges. Usually I grab some old rags to wrap the ends of something like that but didn't think it was that big until I saw it at the dealer.

Jesus... Buy a short block and have your heads rebuilt locally and put the thing together yourself... It will be way less than that.

I'm going to be all in around 6-7k for a fresh motor, and that's including doing all of my subframes, bushings and suspension components to rustproof my 06 build.

Got back from my first ski trip after installing my ski box on my wife's wagon. The box itself is a Thule Summit from probably 1997. My dad bought it when we moved farther from the mountains (1.5 hours to 3.5 hours) and needed the extra room in the car. the box has never been stored outside and the plastic looks brand new.

This box was designed for square bars but I have the Subaru aero bars. I bought Rhino Racks universal aero bar u-bolts, lined everything up and drilled new holes. Since this is a long box (fits >215-cm skis) I needed to have the box within 1-cm of the hatch spoiler when it is lifted, otherwise half the box is in front of the forward bars. It took a lot of adjusting to get it to sit right (moving bars, moving the box etc.) I think I spent 8 hours getting it perfect. I totally appreciate why new boxes use pincers on slide rails inside the box, that system probably takes about 15 minutes to set up perfectly.

I was super careful to make sure the u-bolts had three points of contact on the aero bars before tightening them down so nothing gets crushed.

I drive in a high wind area (Highway 22 and 3 in Alberta) so in addition to being very careful about the install, I am using a ratchet strap around the front of the box. I've seen a few box lids ripped off their boxes on Highway 22 (along with destroyed tonneau covers and caps, flipped tractor-trailers etc.) so I didn't want to chance it. I've personally seen over 100-km/hr on the wind speed warning signs and I think the record since they installed them a couple years ago is over 150-km/hr.

Got the quote back from a local shop for a stock rebuild, $9700. Was expecting alot but guess I wasn't ready for that.

My quote had been like 11k.

I had only a socket set when I started my rebuild. I ended up somewhere around 10k but I got a rebuilt jmp turbo, rebuilt heads with new exhaust valves, lightweight crank pulley, new clutch, short shifter, group n mounts, shifter bushings. I mean just a ton of stuff. Oh and a tune and tactrix cable.

And all the tools including a cherry picker and stand. If you're not in a hurry I wouldn't say it was HARD.

Edit: also I went stock bottom end. Nothing crazy no crazy power. But I replaced every hose line etc. It's an actual stock rebuild as in nearly new engine bay.

I'm currently working on a tan/black upper interior swap for my wagon and was curious about potential part compatibility due to the rarity of legacy specific parts. I ordered a dome light from a 3rd generation WRX STI and, at least dimensionally, they seem to be identical parts. I haven't tried it in the car yet but figured this might be worth sharing. Has anyone tried using this part for a swap?

21542617_Domelighttop.thumb.JPG.091f8b4c57476581627f3e26fbbbdd08.JPG

1338378437_Domelightbottom.thumb.JPG.80da09cceae9e99617df8907b4a85229.JPG