LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

What does the Mazda oil filter offer over the OEM Subaru oil filter?

It IS an actual original OEM Subaru oil filter from Toyo Roki, the JDM one. SOA switched to blue filters from FRAM; that's "new" OEM for USDM.

Mazda still uses Toyo Roki filters. Same filter as AA160, just labeled for Mazda.

• Like 1

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

It IS an actual original OEM Subaru oil filter from Toyo Roki, the JDM one. SOA switched to blue filters from FRAM; that's "new" OEM for USDM.

Mazda still uses Toyo Roki filters. Same filter as AA160, just labeled for Mazda.

With the correct bypass PSI and such, that's why people stock up on them.

• Like 1

Finished installing my Borla Catback. Set the car up on blocks and torqued down all the non-poly bushing in the rear end. Topped up front and rear diffs.

First fire up post exhaust install, and she sounds sweet!

Now to triple check for oil/fuel leaks after new turbo, tank/filler neck/fuel pump install.

Damnit I love and hate this car in equal measure, but the same must be said for all the old/cool garbage I own.

The blue filters are Honeywell. We never had a problem with them servicing thousands of Subarus over 10 years. But, I did also stock the Mazda filters for those that wanted them (rare).

Thanks msprank! Didn't have any problems with blue filters on NA Outbacks (thanks for correction on manufacturer), but for LGT I stuck with black ones.

Jacked up my car about 5 times try to identify a pretty bad squeak from the front left corner. It's not the swaybar (only thing I know for sure). I greased the strut tube (bilsteins) to see if maybe the seal was dried out. There is some very minor checking on the chrome so possibly the grease below the seal is gone but greasing had no effect, may oil would've been better. Cleaned and silicone sprayed the spring and perches to see if maybe it's a worn out isolator (they look new still). Sprayed the top of the mount to see if anything would seep through and stop the squeak.

Nothing worked. There is also a very odd noise when checking the ball joint/tie-rods by pulling on the wheel, that can actually be heard regardless of which wheel you check, but the noise is always from the FL corner. So any lateral loading creates that noise.

There is also a clunk/pop coming from the RR that is also not the swaybar. I've had this noise for a while but my mechanic couldn't figure it out last time I checked. Now that it's louder and can be replicated by bouncing the RR corner I think they should be able to find it. Possibly diff mount bushings or subframe bushings, or a problem with an axle.

Also gave it a nice hand wash and dry in the garage and it's looking pretty good for its age.

Yesterday with help from my boys swapped the sunroof from 05 OB into my LGT.

The OB had TOB disintegrated, and after long back and forth we decided not to fix it. The chassis has ~240K on it, engine was fully rebuilt at 200K mark, and consumes no oil. New clutch and TSK TOB. Front Tribeca /Rear Perrin sways, handling was great on it.

Car ran fine until the damn TOB decided to die.

I am going to miss the OB but everything ends eventually. His sunroof worked and mine died at Devens during AutoX many years ago. Now his sunroof is in my car and boy is it nice to have it working again.

Dropped the car off at Rallispec this AM. 6MT install pending...

Been there, done that ;) 6MT rebuilt at RalliSpec.

• Like 1

Woot, it's alive again!  Thanks @Tide! The work to move us over to something sustainable is very much appreciated!

Was playing with basic maintenance and found that both of the coil packs on the driver's side were missing their bolts. Completely missing, they somehow managed to vibrate themselves loose and completely out of the packs. Replaced them with a couple of spare bolts but had never seen that before. Little surprised that I didn't have misfires yet.

Also thinking about putting a set of Rota Gravels 18x8.5 on the LGT with 235/40R18 and moving my current Enkei STi 18x7.5 over to my 99 Outback and removing the silly strut spacers and refreshing the suspension with a set of KYB and King Springs (Lowering for Outback) to drop another inch. Goal is to have a nice handling, balanced setup for the '99 Outback as well.

After buying all kinds of crap to make this LGT better and faster than stock, I finally got my 3 inch exhaust from the 3 inch DP back to my JDM mufflers. Car should really sound good and flow much better. Also I will save up a few more bucks and get a revision due to my tiny catback choking the car a bit. 

On 7/7/2022 at 9:33 PM, SubOperator said:

Where can we get these filters at? I have been running Amsoil filters but they have been on back order.

18 minutes ago, NORULZleggy said:

Where can we get these filters at? I have been running Amsoil filters but they have been on back order.

I get mine from Amazon, but you can find them from online Mazda dealers as well.

I search for Mazda N3R1-14-302.

Post about the filters.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/subaru-15208aa160-and-mazda-n3r1-14-302-cut-open-and-compared.353557/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infosecdad said:

I get mine from Amazon, but you can find them from online Mazda dealers as well.

I search for Mazda N3R1-14-302.

Post about the filters.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/subaru-15208aa160-and-mazda-n3r1-14-302-cut-open-and-compared.353557/

Thanks just ordered as many as I could lol. I check and my other filters are out of stock still. going on 8 months. I do like the bigger oil capacity.

Did this because my ACT organic clutch disc wasn't holding torque after I upgraded turbo, and in process realized I've been running a pull style flywheel for the last 3-4 years. Got the flywheel from a friend back when I didn't know much, and just assumed 5MT flywheels were all the same. Pull style flywheel is flat whereas push style is stepped. Essentially, the clutch never fully disengaged. Amazing it never slipped till now, though torque was much lower until recently.

Got the right flywheel, paired this disc with the ACT heavy duty pressure plate I already own instead of the extreme duty one it usually comes kitted with, and it barely chatters after break-in. Holds great! Seems to be a good 400 who option in between the extreme duty organic and cerametallic 6 puck offerings ACT sells as a kit. 

IMG20220626150838.jpg

• Like 2

Now if we can have a dark theme with this new forum engine... My tired eyes of software engineer would be really happy.

@Tide Dark theme, please?

• Haha 1