LegacyGT.com

*** Official LegacyGT.com 1320 List ***

j.reed

If next weekend stays cool, I'm shooting for 12.4's with 1.69 60's. We'll see how the weather is however.

Hey Chris is you go let me know!!! I should have my perrin TMIC by next weekend. I might join ya!!!!

Matt

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although it gives me a reason to upgrade the tranny gearset if someone makes one.

Oh they do make'em. Hope your bank account is in a very healthy state tho. You wanna do it right the first time it will cost around 4,200 dollars:icon_surp . PPG gearsets 1st 2nd 3rd 4th in a syncro eng. are 3500 dollars then most places get 700 dollars for the install. So with that said your launch technique may now get altered:lol:

Yea...I know. Typically I don't do that but I was fighting a nasty headwind that night, you can hear the wind on the video. I needed a good 60 to make the ET I was looking for. I was praying at the line for it to stay together. Although it gives me a reason to upgrade the tranny gearset if someone makes one.

I'm currently at a worksite with only 26k dialup. so I didn't look at the video. What in your launch would be rough on the tranny, do you dump it?

FWIW, when I get my launch smoothed out after a few runs (4-4.5K slip), I don't get any clutch smell at all (like I do on the first few runs when I slip it too much). At that point, I have all my 60' times in the 1.8xx range. I can see the clutch not lasting forever, but I don't see how this type of launch would cause strain on the tranny with the clutch as the cushion link. I'm not trying to spin the tires and load up the tranny.

BTW, getting a low 1.8xx 60' in the LGT is about the sweetest launch "feel" of any car that I've had!!

Ron

Oh they do make'em. Hope your bank account is in a very healthy state tho. You wanna do it right the first time it will cost around 4,200 dollars:icon_surp . PPG gearsets 1st 2nd 3rd 4th in a syncro eng. are 3500 dollars then most places get 700 dollars for the install. So with that said your launch technique may now get altered:lol:

Ouch, its doable but god damn. Install I could do myself, neighbor is a tech and has a lift in his garage. I am welcomed to use it anytime. I think I might go back to 1.76-1.80 60's and launch how I used too. A 1.73 is not worth $4200

I'm currently at a worksite with only 26k dialup. so I didn't look at the video. What in your launch would be rough on the tranny, do you dump it?

FWIW, when I get my launch smoothed out after a few runs (4-4.5K slip), I don't get any clutch smell at all (like I do on the first few runs when I slip it too much). At that point, I have all my 60' times in the 1.8xx range. I can see the clutch not lasting forever, but I don't see how this type of launch would cause strain on the tranny with the clutch as the cushion link. I'm not trying to spin the tires and load up the tranny.

BTW, getting a low 1.8xx 60' in the LGT is about the sweetest launch "feel" of any car that I've had!!

I was boucing off the limiter and let it go. Not my usaul technique but I was getting frustrated with my times and went for it. The wind was holding everyone back that night. Many of my friends were down 2-4 mph.

Hmm, your front tires spun, and they weren't hopping.

Other than some heated center VC fluid, wouldn't spinning tires relieve much of the drivetrain stress of an AWD launch?

In fact, I've heard that increasing your tire pressure with AWD is sometimes a good thing to let the tires spin a bit in order to get a more consistent launch without breaking any drivetrain components.

-B

Yes a lil spin is always good. It's the initial shock load placed on the transmission that hurts. Go over to Nasioc and read the endless threads of grenaded transmissions from clutch drops. The '03+ Subaru gearsets were upgraded with a wider tooth profile so that helps. The other thing in our favor is the 4.11 final drive this places a bit more stress on the ring and pinion and takes from the gearset. Who knows the combination of these two things may keep things in check at our power levels but as expensive as they are to replace i'll sit back and watch.

did you drive through the water box or around it? Yes, you want some wheel spin... but I can never tell if it's spin or clutch slip... sigh.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

did you drive through the water box or around it? Yes, you want some wheel spin... but I can never tell if it's spin or clutch slip... sigh.

You can only drive though it at Atco. The track it actually very slick due to them resurfacing over the winter.

Yes a lil spin is always good. It's the initial shock load placed on the transmission that hurts. Go over to Nasioc and read the endless threads of grenaded transmissions from clutch drops. The '03+ Subaru gearsets were upgraded with a wider tooth profile so that helps. The other thing in our favor is the 4.11 final drive this places a bit more stress on the ring and pinion and takes from the gearset. Who knows the combination of these two things may keep things in check at our power levels but as expensive as they are to replace i'll sit back and watch.

Before I bought my car, I looked long and hard and could not find any evidence of blown trannies on any 03+ Subarus, unless they were making BIG power 350 whp +.

I have read of a couple of people with broken linkage on the new trannies but that was not the weak part on the 02, it was the gear-set. And it seems to be much improved on the newer cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, might as well post up my current best timeslip, even if it isn't all that good...

Edmundu / 13.03 @106.5 mph / 1.889 60' / Englishtown NJ / 5MT / GT Sedan / STi swap, PDXTuning AP map, UP,DP,CBE / 43*

Well, might as well post up my current best timeslip, even if it isn't all that good...

Edmundu / 13.03 @106.5 mph / 1.889 60' / Englishtown NJ / 5MT / GT Sedan / STi swap, PDXTuning AP map, UP,DP,CBE / 43*

All in your 60'. Get that sucker down to at least the low 1.8xx range, and you would be the ET champ!!

Good run!!

Ron

what's expected for 1/4 times.. stock, stage 1, stage 2... i see a lot of variation here, and i don't know who or what is considered an "excellent" or "terrible" driver...

Yes....large variances, and there always will be!!

Within each category (stock Stage 1, etc, within each tranny type), the variances are caused by

1. Driver

2. Track/weather conditions

3. Car weight/type

With an MTX car, a decent driver will get 60' times under 2.0.

1.9xx is good, 1.8xx is getting quite good, 1.7xx...YOU ROCK!!

If you aren't getting down to at least a 2.0xx 60', practice driving before messing with mods for 1/4-mile times.

With the ATX cars, I believe it's just torque the crapola out of it, and hold your foot down.....

Ron

I went to the track tonight and I improved on my times.

Could you please update my time in the list above to:

Mblock66 / 13.42 @ 98.16MPH / 1.77 60' / Englishtown NJ / 5EAT / LGT LTD Sedan / UP DP Pullies TMIC TDC Stage II E-Tune/ 42 degrees / 03/22/06

Thanks J. Reed!!!!!

Matt

Congrats Matt! That's a great 60' time. I don't know how much more time you can cutout with that trap speed, you are pretty much maximizing the power you have.

Any of the other guys make it? What did they run?

Who's the fastest with stock turbo and IC..................ME

STi2LGT / 12.755 @ 105.29/ 1.731 60' / Atco / 5MT / Sedan GT Ltd / Autospeed TBE & UP, Cobb AP Stage 2 / Temp 31, 54% Humidity / 3-3-2006

Next step is a canned tune from TDC. See where that will take me. I know I am gonna break something soon though if I keep cutting 1.73 60's.

Video coming soon.......

Please update the list, it wasn't updated with my last time. Thanks!

Don't mind the dirty car....

http://home.comcast.net/~greddydev/timeslip.jpg

J REED, could you please update my times on the list. Thanks

STi2LGT / 12.755 @ 105.29/ 1.731 60' / Atco / 5MT / Sedan GT Ltd / Autospeed TBE & UP, Cobb AP Stage 2 / Temp 31, 54% Humidity / 3-3-2006

New times hopefully this weekend with my TDC tune

Archived