LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 5th gen today?? -V4

16 hours ago, lagwagon said:

Thanks Rumble! 

I went through your project log and the Kein mounts you have (ksub015) don't seem to be available from anywhere right now. 

My plan for suspension is either 2013/14 upgrade (front springs and seats from dealership, all other parts from rock auto), or the JDM Bilsteins. I don't want to lower it and I don't want it overdamped like my 4th gen was. I did/do have Konis with King springs for 4th gen and they road much nicer than the Bilsteins but there was an issue with the insert pushing through the bottom of the strut tube so I'm not too happy about that, nor am I happy about the lower spring perch on the WRX koni full body strut. I've had Konis on two platforms and found that I set the damping and then never touched them again. One on platform, full soft was still very harsh, and on the 4th gen full soft is about the same as brand new stock KYBs.

Softest to hardest, where do 5th gen JDM bilsteins sit? (I know there aren't 5th gen USDM bilsteins). This is my frame of reference, unless somebody has shock dynos for the 5th gen JDM bilsteins. If they are anywhere in the top half of the list they should be fine for me.

Softest

4th gen Konis (soft)

4th gen USDM bilsteins

4th gen JDM bilsteins (rev C/D)

4th gen JDM bilsteins (rev B)

4th gen JDM bilsteins (rev A)

4th gen konis (hard)???

4th gen B6/B8 bilsteins

4th gen konis (hard)???

Hardest

Sorry for nerding out hard on this, lol, and thank you to everybody for your comments!

I don't know of any USDM cars that have ever actually fit the 5th gen JDM Bilsteins, I believe there was some difference that made them not fit properly or something (i think s2baru attempted years back but i don't exactly recall). From what I've heard from overseas owners, they're roughly comparable to the 4th gen Bilsteins. Also, on the note of the Konis, I believe that the same Koni struts are used for both 4th and 5th gen (I know at very least that the front strut-insert is the same part number, and rears are the same as 08-14 WRX). 

9 hours ago, ToolTime said:

Do you feel the Kein mounts are too stiff or anything? I had the hardrace ones put in but I have a feeling they'll eventually have the same problems the OEM ones have (especially under lots torque). Did you notice a large amount of NVH inside the cabin? Are they street-able?

They definitely introduced some additional NVH. I would not recommend them for a car being used as a daily or a commuter, but depending on your tolerances they might be suitable for a weekend cruiser or spirited fun car/occasional track use. It is definitely a noticeable increase in NVH though, but not so much so that you can't get used to it as long as you're familiar with more "racecar-esque" aimed cars. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Humble Rumble said:

I don't know of any USDM cars that have ever actually fit the 5th gen JDM Bilsteins, I believe there was some difference that made them not fit properly or something (i think s2baru attempted years back but i don't exactly recall). From what I've heard from overseas owners, they're roughly comparable to the 4th gen Bilsteins. Also, on the note of the Konis, I believe that the same Koni struts are used for both 4th and 5th gen (I know at very least that the front strut-insert is the same part number, and rears are the same as 08-14 WRX). 

Awesome, I didn't realize the front inserts were the same pn, maybe I can yank them out of the strut housings. Rears would be different as the lower mounting bolt is not the same size between 4th and 5th gen (smaller on 5th gen).

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to start preps for upgrading my front brakes to custom carbon ceramic brake kit. My friend is running custom brakes company and they decided to make me a present. It will be based on 355mm carbon ceramic brake rotors paired with 6 pot calipers. I will have to do 3d scanning of my summer and winter wheels so they could do engineering works to fit it perfectly. I believe it may be ready somewhere in summer. Lets see how it goes. I will definitely make a post about it when its done. 

• Like 6

Installed low beam VLEDs. Tried for 30 minutes to do the driver side through the wheel well and just couldn’t get the bulb clip locked with the bulb seated correctly. Hands were getting cold so I gave up and pulled the bumper cover which I half expected to do based on comments here. 

While the bumper cover was off, I installed Hella horns that were waiting in the garage, took the bumper cover inside to heat it up and pop out a dent in the lip, and replaced one of the fender-to-bumper black connection thingys to cure the weekly bumper pop-out that has been occurring for a year. 

Edited by NVAKeith
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Falcor said:

Update: Didn't work.

Don't recall the full list of what you've tried to cure this, but just to be sure: have you tried replacing both O2 sensors already? And if so, have you tried investigating the plug/wire that the O2 sensors plug into to make sure they're intact, not cut/frayed, and the plug doesn't have any burned or corroded contacts? I ran into a similar issue a couple years back chasing down an issue with the radiator fans not working, and after everything I tried it ended up being a corroded contact inside the main fan control harness plug. Might be worth a look-see if you haven't done that already. 

13 hours ago, Falcor said:

Update: Didn't work.

fuel cap/evap shouldn't have much of anything to do with a p0420.  if you have an AP you should be able to log the o2's and verify they're functioning properly.  if they are then you've got a bad cat.  if they aren't then you get to go down the rabbit hole of wiring and electrical.  before firing the parts cannon anymore i'd run some logs and start diagnosing

So far I have replaced both O2 sensors and the fuel cap. I am driving out of town and back all this week, and the code has popped up on the way out and back each day (morning and evening). I stop and clear the code with the AP, then it doesn't come back on that drive. It's about a 40 min drive each way.

Last week I drove it 2 1/2hrs and had no issues, then did about 20 min after getting gas. That made me think (hope) it was the fuel cap.

I'll look over the wiring if I get a chance tonight.

20 hours ago, Falcor said:

So far I have replaced both O2 sensors and the fuel cap. I am driving out of town and back all this week, and the code has popped up on the way out and back each day (morning and evening). I stop and clear the code with the AP, then it doesn't come back on that drive. It's about a 40 min drive each way.

Last week I drove it 2 1/2hrs and had no issues, then did about 20 min after getting gas. That made me think (hope) it was the fuel cap.

I'll look over the wiring if I get a chance tonight.

i had the same code...as you did i swapped out the downstream o2 sensor (bought me a year)...p0420 came back early 2023 so i swapped out the upstream o2 sensor (no effect)...swapped out the cat with an aftermarket cat in jan 2023 which got me until nov 2023 and the code came back...this time i ran a bottle of cat cleaner (link below) with a full tank of fuel through it and the code went away and hasn't come back yet but i assume it will...my car has 230k miles and is consuming oil at a rate of ~600mi/qt which is why the cat is getting clogged...i will probably run a bottle of cleaner through it quarterly to keep it running better...not trying to put an engine in it or tear it down...car isn't worth much so i'll get a new one when it dies

https://a.co/d/i3LAIbH

What is weird is this started happening a couple days after the Subaru dealer worked on it in December. There were also a couple loose bolts I found a couple weeks ago when I tore it down to fix a leak. Going to take Humble's advise and look and see if something is up with the wiring or plugs. 

got a couple things from DrD, RIP his GT, and got em installed.  master cylinder brace, intercooler pipe and some nets for the trunk.  got em all installed yesterday morning and everything is peachy!

until i hit the highway during rush hour yesterday...i apparently forgot to tighten the clamp around the boost pipe running up to the intercooler. that made for a not very pleasant experience.  was able to get it back on though and limp home...5 turns on a screwdriver and it was back how it should be.  smh.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Falcor said:

What is weird is this started happening a couple days after the Subaru dealer worked on it in December. There were also a couple loose bolts I found a couple weeks ago when I tore it down to fix a leak. Going to take Humble's advise and look and see if something is up with the wiring or plugs. 

did the dealer do any recalls?...should say on your paperwork...are you having issues with starting or does it idle really low and inconsistently?...basically is it not running right?...mine is doing these things so i know i have a problem with my cat being clogged due to the oil consumption...if you don't have similar issues an electrical issue may be more likely

if mine throws a code before state inspection time i will be putting a spacer on the downstream o2 sensor just to get by the inspection...won't do anything to fix the issue but it will take care of the code and light

https://jcarpart.com/search?options[unavailable_products]=show&options[prefix]=last&q=o2+spacer

15 minutes ago, NVAKeith said:

Sweet, love me some used stock wheels!  You doing hub swaps with the Brembos?

Thanks! They aren't my first choice but they are STI and were so cheap I said why not, if I decide later I don't want them it's an easy sell later. Came off a 2017

Last I checked the hubs were not easily swapable and would require a slew of things that are half way to the STI 6spd trans swap. So I'm going with 15mm hubcentric adapters for 5x100-->5x114.3 with built in studs. That'll make the (+55) a (+40) on the wheel and push it about an inch out for a more flush look. I'm still on stock suspension so I don't think they'll rub but suspension mods are next.

Edited by ToolTime
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ToolTime said:

Ignore how dirty the car is but I picked up some goodies off fb marketplace for a steal to clear the 4 pots I got. I think they'll look great. 18x8.5 +55

IMG_4999.jpg

IMG_4998.jpg

Those STI wheels are nice.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday we had a near 60F degree day so I washed and vacuumed my '12 Legacy GT.  Today I changed the oil and took it out for a ride.  I haven't driven it since late November.  I am going to miss this car when I sell it.  

• Like 3

I worked on my 2010 GT yesterday.  It has been using coolant which I can smell under the hood and my drivers front wheel needs air every 2 weeks or so.  

I took the wheel and it has not punctures so it must be leaking on the tire bead or at the tire stem.  I kind of doubt it is the stem since I bought new stems TMPS for the car.  I have friend with a tire shop, so I have him look at it.  

I checked the coolant system pressurized it with mityvac coolant system kit I have, it has a leak on the passenger top side  and it is pooling on the block and leaking down into the under body tray. It must be something I messed up when I assembled it or maybe the prior lessened something I didn't check or wasn't expecting.  It will probably be a cheap fix but may not an easy one.  I will wait until it warms up and I can pull the accessories off the top of the motor for a better look. Hopefully I don't have to remove the intake manifold.  

On 2/11/2024 at 1:05 PM, ToolTime said:

Ignore how dirty the car is but I picked up some goodies off fb marketplace for a steal to clear the 4 pots I got. I think they'll look great. 18x8.5 +55

IMG_4998.jpg

Love those wheels.

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2024 at 9:01 AM, Point37 said:

did the dealer do any recalls?...should say on your paperwork...are you having issues with starting or does it idle really low and inconsistently?...basically is it not running right?...mine is doing these things so i know i have a problem with my cat being clogged due to the oil consumption...if you don't have similar issues an electrical issue may be more likely

if mine throws a code before state inspection time i will be putting a spacer on the downstream o2 sensor just to get by the inspection...won't do anything to fix the issue but it will take care of the code and light

https://jcarpart.com/search?options[unavailable_products]=show&options[prefix]=last&q=o2+spacer

Car runs perfectly fine. And even after the code pops up the only thing that happens is the cruise will not work and there are flashing lights on the dash. It does have more of an exhaust smell lately, but hopefully whatever the dealer finds will fix it. Still need to make that appointment....

Dropped the GT off at the dealer to see if they can figure out what is causing the code. They almost would not look at it after I mentioned the Cobb tune.

I know, I know....probably shouldn't have mentioned anything, but want it fixed right. They were ok after I told them I could return it to stock. The guy had to get the ok from his manager though. Thankfully I mentioned it to her in the initial call to setup the appointment. She didn't seem concerned.