LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

Depending on what state and what city you are in a shotgun might be a top choice.

Shotgun fights don't last very long: with the right load, at appropriate distances a single center mass hit with a 12 gauge shot running 00 buck of 2-3/4" or 3" magnum loads is going to pretty much be a fight stopper. Depending on the load we're talking about 9-15 .32" pellets at 1200-1250fps, at typical in home distances they're going to pattern in about the size of your open hand or fist at the most. So you get that centered up hit and you have effectively shot Baddy McBadface 9-15 times all at once. Some of the new flight control wads give patterns that are going to keep all your pellets in a pretty decent group out to 25 yards.

If I have a choice between a 9mm, .300 BLK, and a 12 gauge with an appropriate choke for buckshot or cylinder bore barrel and a good 00 buck load, and I know some dirt bag wants to pay me a visit at 0300, I'm grabbing the shotty.

Fortify the latch/jambs/hinges so they'll make more noise and give you extra time to respond. Consider a solid wood bedroom door so you can hunker down and let them come to you. 12 gauge? Do you have a home alarm? should turn most intruders back. Simply safe is $25/month. Cellular so no wires to cut, if they even do that these days. Don't 90% of occupied home invasions involve drugs or known cash to be around? And many involve people opening the door to strangers at all hours.

Thanks much for the advice. I do have a fully loaded Mossberg Maverick 88 with 9 2 3/4" 00 buck in a small latch on the wall right behind the bedroom door and that will be my first grab if I hear anything. I would have my wife backing me up with the 9mm, whether be Walther or the Scorpion we're looking at picking up this week. I have an advantage that my bedroom is up 5 stairs and straight shot to the entry that would most likely be where a breach would occur, so I'm shooting down, about 30', directly at the door from my bedroom door, and I'm a VERY good shot.

Just thinking about the frangible rounds as for that distance, I think they would work well and basically eliminate the chance of a ricochet, but I honestly believe that if someone came in, I would probably just have to rack the SG and that would send them right back out.

For your scorpion? Go with either one, the scorpion is extremely reliable and will spit out any kind of Ammo. Brass cased ammo will usually be better quality and more accurate.

I don’t recommend steel cased ammo in a high end AR-15 or AR-10 because if you shoot enough of it, it’ll shorten the barrel’s life span & barrel’s for high end rifles aren’t cheap. The Scorpion is built much like an AK, it’s extremely reliable, low maintenance & it’ll shoot just about anything you throw in it.

Basically, it's an issue of wear... steel is harder than brass, so it's harder on the parts in the gun (extractor, ejector, etc.). Moreso when the parts aren't designed for steel case ammo. Steel case is more common in the former East Bloc nations, so guns that originate there often deal with it better.

Thanks much for the answers gentlemen. I'm not going to be putting thousands of rounds through either of my Walthers or the Scorpion, but I see both out there for sale (or for delayed sale, as the case may be) but I didn't know what the difference was. It always has seemed to me that brass was what I've always seen and that was the way I was leaning anyways.

Great information!

All what you said would be helpful but not always practical. Real home defense is all about being prepared, having the knowledge, training to do what is necessary to protect yourself and love ones.

........ John Nolte says it Best. ......

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/01/23/dear-gun-grabbers-whats-best-society-not-my-problem/

I agree 100%. My point was to note ways to avoid having to shoot toward the front door. Being prepared for real home defense involves planning in advance and layers of security.

• 2 weeks later...

<strong><span style=⁉️"> HR 127 Is One of the Worst Gun Control Bills I've Ever Seen and Here's Why

Normally, I'd read a bill like this and just smirk because I knew it would have a hard time passing. That's not the case now because the Democrats have control of the House, the Senate, and the white house so they're going for broke.

Remember when I said the real goal of universal background checks was to use it as an excuse to create a national gun registry? Well, Sheila Jackson said let's stop playing, we have the house, the senate, and the white house, let's just put it all on the table and just require a registration outright, and that's exactly what HR 127 does.

This bill will require you to send a list to the ATF of every make, model, and the serial number of every single gun you own and buy. You'll also have to tell the government where you'll be storing each gun and you'll have three months to do all of this.

But here's where it gets really sexy, all that information you just gave to the government, including where you'll be keeping all of your guns, will be accessible to the public.

That means criminals will not only know what guns you have, but they'll also know exactly where you keep them. This isn't a registry it's a shopping list for criminals because they know exactly where to go and what to look for when they come and rob you because they'll have a list of all your guns in a PDF file.

Understand that there are 400 million guns in this country. The government has to hire people to log all this data. Guess where they're going to get the money to do this. You! in the form of taxes. Congratulations, not only will you be forced to tell criminals exactly where your guns are, you paid to do it as well.

This is the 94 crime bill all over again. It's sad, because where do you think they're going to enforce these laws the most if this bill is passed? You think they're going to enforce them in the neighborhoods of the rich and elite?

Nah, they're coming to your neighborhood. This bill is pure insanity and the only reason she can get away with it is because the house, the senate, and the white house are being run by one party.

I know a lot of you are asking, well what can I do to stop it. The way you stop it is to let your voice be heard. Remember, the people in congress are voted in not appointed, so they only do what they think they can get away with.

If you let them know that if they continue with bills like this that they'll lose your vote and enough people call, email or mail letting them know this, trust me, they'll back off.

People in congress don't want to lose their seat and if they think voting for something like this will jeopardize their reelection, trust me, they'll stay away from it so If you're watching this video, you need to reach out to your representative and Sheila Jackson Lee to tell them to Drop HR 127 now or they'll pay for it when it comes time for reelection.

Pro 2A Messages on Performance Face Masks

https://www.mrcolionnoir.com/go/performance-face-mask/

Help US Further our Pro Constitution, Pro 2A message:

https://www.MrColionNoir.com/donate/

Defund Gun Control

➡️ https://bit.ly/33QJASD

GUNS ARE ESSENTIAL

➡️ https://bit.ly/2XxJxbT

I Will Not Comply with Any Gun BAN

➡️ https://bit.ly/3gMnuVH

I think that makes you a "centrist". But who the hell cares?

The "left"/"right" debate should remain the realm of Twix.

And, yes I still believe voting matters. I laugh at those who think their vote means less now than it has previously.

Maybe they haven't voted enough over the years to realize your candidate does not always win. Or that your vote has always been a VERY small sample of the whole. Locally your individual vote "counts" more than when voting within the framework of the electoral college. My vote in WV does not carry the same weight as my vote in CA. But I still vote and I will again.

While an uprising might wax poetic for some, I realize the reality. No matter what I have, the military will always have more.

It's not the military I'm afraid of, it's the potential for violence to move into the neighborhoods as it showed on a couple of places. The neighborhoods around here are putting together their own sort of safety group per neighborhood because it's not if, it's when, and when it does, we had all better be prepared.

I don't reveal what I have to anyone locally, (you guys know because I've been asking questions as I'm pretty new to the small things) and I never will, but if anyone thinks this can't pass, you're living in a fantasyland with the Democrats in complete control of everything. They have a direction, they're working hard towards it, and it certainly doesn't give a crap about the USA citizens' well being. It's just going to get worse and that's truly saying something.

Jim, sounds like you need to find a new neighborhood. I and three of my neighbors routinely take target practice with gun and bow in our respective yards. There have been no acts of violence other than a s-ton of white tail gatting tagged this season, lol.

Baltimore and DC are both within 60 miles, but in reality its an entire other universe. Media and social media has (as usual) blown isolated events out of proportion. Once the west coast breaks off and floats into the Pacific things will calm down.

The Biden administration can try to out law firearms, but there will just be a lot more outlaws. Mexico is a good example.

Anyone here have any experience with a (modern) Browning T-bolt? The left-handed varmint/target model looks appealing as a 22lr option for the same purpose for which it’s named. Also looked at the CZ 457 and Savage MkII but so far the Browning is a more compelling package. I’m not totally opposed to a 10/22 though I don’t own a bolt action and would like to. If I went that route I’d probably be more interested in a takedown model. Edited by Underdog

after pm'ing top posters on this thread about home defense, we're changing our strategy. We're selling our rental property as quickly as soon as can get it cleaned up for pics. It's not defendable and covid rental restrictions discourages finding a new tenant.

We hired a contractor to educate us on home defense, training, and upgrades. Having two experienced contractors role-play in your house various scenarios was an eye opener. My wife had been unwilling to make any changes before; now she's motivated.

They were adamant about engaging at a distance rather waiting for shotgun distance to engage. 8feet is about the maximum stopping distance for a 12gauge. I asked about the telltale racking of the slide as defense. Their response "at 8 feet, they are so high on adrenaline they can't hear it". Also you get one shot at 8 feet.

Both contractors have K9 units that live in their house. Its their first line of defense. Our huskies loved all over them. Nice to know what's going to happen. Wish we had gotten the Akita puppy

not an expert. ymmv.

A shotgun at 8’ is basically a rifle in your house. Whoever told you that 8’ was max effective range for a 12 gauge is a moron.

Here:

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/stuff-you-should-know-about-buckshot-part-1/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.luckygunner.com/lounge/more-stuff-you-should-know-about-buckshot-part-2/amp/

If you’re serious about something like that you should consider seeking training from a firearms instructor. That will be an eye opening experience.

Edited by Penguin

Your dogs will alert you to people on the property though won’t they?

At any rate my response to your PM dealt with your tenants protecting themselves and securing their home. I think it’s safe to say they were unable or unwilling to do any of those things.

For YOU and your wife, my advice is going to be different on the self defense tools side of things.

1.) Sign up for a class specific to the type of firearm(s) you want to defend your home.

2.) Now that you are committed to training go acquire said firearm(s), and ammo. Good luck BTW...

3.) Attend class and learn to run your gun, and its capabilities in your hands.

General guidelines for a gun you might have to fight with in your home, in addition to being reliable these are mandatory:

1.) It needs to have a light on it, shooting at shit in the dark is a bad idea. Even if you use the light on your gun to find a light switch that’s better than hucking projectiles down the hall in the damn dark.

2.) If it’s a handgun you need a good holster, if it’s a long gun it needs a good sling.

3.) The gun needs to have sights you can actually see and use easily.

Personally I am not a pump action shotgun fan, I strongly prefer auto loaders. If a shotty for home defense is what I was after I would get this with all the options, put a sling on it, and a light, and a red dot sight. Then I would feed it Federal Flight Control 8 pellet 00 buck loads.

https://www.langdontactical.com/ltt-1301-shotgun-preorder-currently-closed/

huskies are pretty much useless for home security. they only bark at the pitbull that comes by weekly and only if it growls first. They are silent unless its mealtime.

tenants moved out . good riddance.

contractor is a firearms instructor. we burned up my stash of 9mm range rounds the first session. 1.20$/round for 500rounds was a shock when I replaced them. Wife turned out to be a good shot although she startled easily.

our house has great views through large windows. Literally live in a glass house. The suggestion was to drop the attackers as they came to landing then escape through the backyard. The working theory is a group of invaders seeing their point person put down would tend to run away rather than stand and fight. Regardless, after causing a reality check, our plan was to run away heavily armed. If followed, two ppl fighting from a trained plan have a chance to survive.

Wife and I had a discussion about fight or beg. She's a bit scary.

Keyboard warriors. No one knows what they are going to do until they are pressed. Training for what we should do gives us a chance. Racing taught me that. Shooting well is a fungible skill. When it cost $1000/month to keep it, Ok. Now its $5000/month. At that cost, I can move to a safer locale.

lights and sights. yes. We have to buy another weapon for one or both of us. She doesn't like the gun I bought, even though she shot it well from the first magazine.

Have interest in a 9mm carbine of some sort. Has to be NY (dick-tator Cuomo) compliant. Ideas and or experience with any?

You will ask why 9mm and my number one reason will be easy ammo acquisition. I have a fair amount, can still get it and have handguns that use it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Have interest in a 9mm carbine of some sort. Has to be NY (dick-tator Cuomo) compliant. Ideas and or experience with any?

You will ask why 9mm and my number one reason will be easy ammo acquisition. I have a fair amount, can still get it and have handguns that use it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NY compliant. 9X19. Carbine.

Don't bother dude.