LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

• 1 month later...

All the paperwork finally went through and I picked her up from the dealer on Wednesday. Next step will be to get some private instruction and a holster, I don't feel confident enough to carry yet. I'm surprised how manageable the size is. I'm leaning towards a shoulder holster even though many consider them outdated. I think it would work well for the way I dress.

beretta.jpg

• Like 1

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Two main reasons people think the shoulder holster is "outdated".  One, they dress like a McDonalds clerk.  Two, they think that every defense situation will revolve around you having a bad guy pointing a gun at you without any warning leading up to the event and you will somehow be able to draw the pistol, present it, aim it, and deliver neutralizing fire in less than 0.25 seconds before the bad guy pulls his trigger as if you are some kind of John Wick ninja.

The first is just modern styles.  The second is a deadly fantasy about how gunfights take place.  If you are in a situation where draw speed is the single most important factor between life and death for you, then you already lost the fight.

Smooth quick draw and present is important, but you aren't "getting the drop" on them, you are preventing fumbles and delivering accurate first shots.  You "get the drop" on them by monitoring their attention and making a move when you have the advantage.  Compare the video of they guy robbing fast food in TX where the thug points his at every person sitting in the room one by one and when he faces away the guy with the CCW suddenly takes action having played it cool up to that point.  Do not, however, do as that guy did and continue to fire after the threat is neutralized, and don't stand over the thug and shoot his motionless body again.  Our guy ended that event very poorly, but he started it correctly.

The most winning move is not to play.  See the threat before deadly weapons come in to play and evacuate.

The military has a survival onion poster.  The skin of the onion is "Don't be there".  Next is don't be seen.  Don't be targeted.  Don't be hit.  Finally at the core, Don't be penetrated.  I don't imagine you will be walking around with a vest on all the time, so that leaves mobility to not be hit, mobility to not be targeted, and mobility to not be there.

• Thanks 1

Getting some serious training and trigger time as you describe above is your second best winning move.  Carrying without training, not carrying and hoping for the best, etc are various degrees of losing move.

I'm glad to see another doing what they can to make the world a better place.  Thank you.

• Like 2