LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

Well in NY a CZ Skorpion is illegal because it can accept a detachable magazine and has a pistol grip. Or a threaded barrel. Or a thumb hole stock.

Seriously not worth the effort.

Buy a good lever action rifle in .44 Magnum.

CZ does California compliant scorpions, they wrap kydex around the pistol grip so it's no longer a "pistol grip" You can however buy what they call a "non-NFA firearm" which is essentially a Scorpion with a pistol brace and vertical foregrip because the Barrel is 10-12" and has an overall length of 26.5" when a weapon is at that length it's too long to be considered a handgun and since it doesn't have a stock it's not a rifle. They're classified as a "firearm, other" and because of that, they aren't subject to assault weapons bans. They can have any feature they want that an AR can't. They're very popular in NJ, NY, CT and Massachusetts because the "assault weapon" laws are absurd.

My dogs are pretty good about barking when appropriate.

The GSD constantly patrols her area lest the hated squirrels take over, and she always answers the door if she hears any movement of the door. She’s not going to go after anyone though.

The Rottweiler we weren’t sure about, but this past summer the in-laws stayed with us for a week and the first night my father-in-law got up at 0300 because that’s what he does (grew up on a farm), and Jack (our Rott) heard that and went ape shit. He was mad as hell that someone was in the house moving around that wasn’t us. I’m confident he would have attacked a stranger in the house, he wanted out of our bedroom. Fortunately once he was out and identified my FIL he was back to his happy goofy self. He’s put himself in between my son and people he doesn’t know, or even family when they’re rough housing and my son squeals or play time gets too loud.

OK...time for more advice from the knowledgeable folks here.

Opinions on Landor Arms BPX902 12 GA. Semi-Auto?

when reviews have this or similar wording more than once "Jammed only twice"; delete the link and cross the weapon off your list. A baseball bat is better.

a defensive weapon should never jam

• 2 months later...

+1... might work for static noise abatement, but that's about it. And there's probably much more elegant ways to do it.

Speaking of noise abatement, I had been looking for a bolt .22 as a suppressor host for a while, but 2020 happened. Availability went to zero, and used stuff was selling for nuthouse prices. Savages that were $219 retail in 2019 are now selling for over $400 used.

LGS had a Tikka T1X hanging on the wall, which I had ignored previously because of the cost, but now the delta over a "cheap" bolt was only ~$100, so I grabbed it before it disappeared. And I'm pretty glad I did.

Coincidentally, my club was starting up a benchrest .22 match series, so I went fully down the rabbit hole, and picked up a KRG chassis, and a cheap Mueller 8-32x optic.

51171534989_cf427221a9_c.jpg

This thing shoots pretty darn good, and I'm just using CCI Standard Velocity ammo. I haven't been able to get any 'real' target .22 to try yet.

51171844035_9a0e263e04_c.jpg

My best on a USBR target is only 214/250 so far, but I'm still working on my technique.

Oh, and it's super quiet suppressed. :D

Ditch the suppressor for competition, rimfires usually tighten up without a can.

By the way CCI Standard Velocity has out shot some “target” ammo in my Cooper M57 and Kimber M82. If you find a good lot of CCI Standard Velocity it can be very good ammo. Pretty sure CCI Green Tag is really just excellent lots of Standard Velocity tested and packaged as Green Tag.

I have heard that about CCI SV. So far I haven't been able to find any Green Tag to test. It didn't like Remington Target at all, nor does it seem to like anything 'high velocity'. Around 1050-1100fps seems to be its happy place.

FWIW, I've tested the above Tikka with and without the can (Mask HD), and haven't seen any repeatable differences in group size at 50yds. The weakest link in the chain right now is me.

On .22LR ammo, there’s a reason you don’t see “high velocity” match ammo from any manufacturer. Even at extended distances the standard velocity stuff out performs higher velocity loads.

I would suggest you pick up a box of Eley Tenex or Lapua Midas to see what your Tikka is actually capable of.

I got a tip last night on some 'in stock' .22 and ordered SK Flat Nose Target, and Standard Plus this morning.

They didn't have any of the SK 'Match' varieties. No Midas or Center-X, and I decided to pass on a box of X-Act at $35. Didn't carry Eley.

Lapua actually has a test center here in AZ... I'm tempted, but I'm not sure I want to know that the best shooting ammo out of my rifle is $35 a box of 50! :p

Practice with the less expensive stuff and shoot matches with the pricey ammo when your skill level is high enough the couple of extra points or "X"s will actually decide your standing.

They tried this before and they backed down.

The problem with banning braces is they’re protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act (their designed use) & the Consumer Protection Act which prohibits limiting the sales.

Yep.

I think the NFA is bullshit, but how did the bubbas of the world really think ATF wasn’t going to do this? The braces are very clearly designed as a stock.

Well, the ATF officially allowed them, and then even said you could shoulder them.

There have to be hundreds of thousands of these things in circulation. I think there's a very reasonable argument that if they want to change their mind and make them illegal, they have to compensate people for the cost, or waive the cost of the tax stamp to register them. Either one is a non-starter.... it would cost millions to compensate owners, and they don't have the capability to process current NFA applications in a timely manner, much less a hundred thousand new applications overnight.

They should just remove short barrels and suppressors from the NFA, but that will never happen.