LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

Figure in a Bullseye pistol match the Eley (or other premium match ammo) might be worth a 2-3% increase in score. Worth it for a match but not cost effective for training.

Depends on the match.... if there were prize money, I might consider it. Right now CCI SV is $5/box and Eley/Lapua are $20-25. Figure 2.5 boxes/match... the juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

Same reason I don't spend the $$$ on Hoosiers for the track. ;)

I was shooting for a college, so it made the ammo bill….. free for me!…. a lot easier to put up with. Practice ammo for the team was CCI Green Tag, and in some cases it was match ammo too depending on the gun and the lot number. My Benelli MP95E really liked a particular lot of Green Tag but it still shot Eley Tenex better. So important matches that would determine national ranking for the University or individual ranking or invitations to nationals we busted out whatever was the best shooting ammo we knew of for a particular pistol.

Makes sense if things are serious to use the best ammo available.

I've been wanting to pick up a .22 bullseye competition style gun. Just missed a Walther GSP on GB the other day. Not that I'm going to be competing, just like the discipline to work on my fundamentals. My best shooting days were a few decades ago... :p

You might be surprised. If your current pistol is something like a Ruger MK-II etc you might be surprised how much your scores will go up shooting a purpose built bullseye rimfire pistol.

Don't currently own a .22 semiauto target pistol. Had a High Standard Victor almost 30 years ago, but never really took to it. I do have an S&W M17, but it's not really in the same category. Mostly interested in one because I've never owned a target pistol in the 'olympic' category.

I mostly meant that my skills are likely inadequate to appreciate the difference betweeen a 1970s Walther olympic pistol and a current Pardini olympic pistol. ;)

Well unless the discipline you're shooting is mandatory iron sights the newer Olympic pistols are a lot easier to mount a dot sight on, and that alone is a big advantage over the older guns.

I still own my Benelli MP95E, and I do like it but factory support is non existent these days. It still makes souped up Ruger MK series and Volquartsens etc look silly in comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the day on the range Tuesday doing carbine training. Used it as an opportunity to run-in my Turbo K. And I ran it hard. ~600 rounds for the day, from CQB to 100 yards.

52134533708_aa48df0f32_c.jpg

I'm using the Dead Air Xeno mounting system with a birdcage muzzle device. Never came loose, until I wanted it to, and then it came off easy.

52135005535_342c3dc462_c.jpg

This suppressor is not what I would call "quiet", but nothing really is on a 5.56 gas gun. What it did do is take the noise level down to tolerable for "serious use" without earpro. Less than a 9mm... loud, but no pain, and no ringing. Shooting with earpro for the day, it was really pleasant... like shooting a .22 with a little more push in the recoil. Zero muzzle blast, and no muzzle rise with the suppressor. Not what I was used to with this 11.5" gun. Shot faster and more accurately than I ever have with it, and I've had this particular Colt since 1997.

Of course, the price of a suppressor on an AR is it gets dirty. Nasty dirty. These were the rounds that were left in the mags at the end of the day.

52134512896_ff6aff72cc_c.jpg

All in all, very pleased with the package at this point, though I am looking at going to a more compact optic. The Aimpoint is bombproof, but it's a boat anchor, and enormous by comaparison to more modern optics.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally scored a target .22 off GB. Made a run at a couple different auctions before successfully winning one for a Hammerli 208. There were a couple different candidates, including Walther GSPs as mentioned above, but I'm completely happy with the Hammerli as an example of a competition level pistol.

I only had time for about 3 magazines at the local range when I picked the gun up. The first two were CCI SV, and after making the necessary sight adjustments, I shot one mag of Lapua.

52185097213_24cd68af74_c.jpg

A few decades ago, I might have been able to do this gun justice, but I'm just not as steady as I used to be, and I have to use readers to see the front sight. Also, the factory grips did not fit my hand well. I was able to find a set of Rink grips in the proper size for sale here in the US, so they are on the way. We'll see if that, and some practice with it helps...

• 4 weeks later...

Bought my first big-block AR, a Sig 716i Tread in .308.  Topped it with an Athlon Ares ETR 1-10x, swapped the muzzle device for a Xeno brake and headed for the range this morning.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52249486991_ca853b3ab5_c.jpg[/img]

All I had on hand was some Win white box M80 150gr, and the results weren't all that impressive.  The 8lb trigger wasn't helping things, nor was the fact that my shooting glasses kept fogging up.  I was still able to ring steel out to 250 (the limit at our range) without any issues.  The gun ran fine, and after zeroing, I mounted my Nomad L for the rest of the morning.  Need to get some different bullet weights and find out what it likes.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52248513532_cc2ace347b_c.jpg[/img]

Also took my Bergara 6.5CM, which shot well, as it always does. 

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52249501908_a19c172ec4_c.jpg[/img]
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52249486361_be9244e479_c.jpg[/img]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hopefully I will be receiving my NYC CCW soon, I began this application before the New York State Rifle & Pistol Assoc. v. Bruen Supreme Court Case. The waiting process has taken about one year. I've only ever shot a firearm once about 10 years ago at a range, courtesy of a friend who worked for the DOD, so I'm a complete neophyte. I've been moved to want to purchase a firearm for practical safety reasons, not as much hobby like the LGT is.

Any recommendations for a first gun? I'm leaning towards a 1911 since Massad Ayoob speaks highly of them (and that I appreciate classics in general). This would be mostly for bank runs and servicing vending machines.

• Like 1

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

The P226 is very interesting, learning all these models and acronyms is like learning about cars all over again. I like the "tried and true" guns that have seen wide military adoption, like how certain models of cars have more aftermarket support than others.

• Like 1

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread

I like 1911, but it is a big thing to conceal.  My EDC is a SIG P365.  Personally I wouldn't go smaller than 9mm for a defensive gun.

I use Valvoline high mileage.  If you use anything else your car already blew up and your relatives drag their knuckles.

Between those two ideas I should be able to get everyone on the internet mad and coming to punch me.

I'm sure it is difficult there, but you would be well served to get a little instruction, and get in a situation where you can shoot as many pistols as possible under guidance so you can find out if they fit your hand right, if they act funny in your hand during recoil, if the sights work for your eyes, etc.  For instance, old police .38s twist in my hand really awkward with each shot, but 1911 is perfect in every way, P08 Luger wrenches my wrist and I feel like I'm aiming at the floor.

Out here there are ranges where you can buy a day pass to shoot pretty much any pistol they have on hand, plus the ammo of course.  Out here there are also people who could do some of that with you using their personal collection.

• Like 2

Hmmm.  Meets in PA. Need to look into whats legal for transport. In WV, ROFL. 1911, P226, P365, 9mm, 40 357 sig, 45, 357 mag, 38, 22, 44 mag, 41 mag, and more.  Between 2 or 3 members we could bring more than a gun store. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some of the training is generic like don't point it at things.  Some of the training is platform specific like don't Columbo style flip your revolver shut, or don't use the tip of your thumb on the tip of the hammer spur to lower the hammer unless you are doing a 100% accurate demo of ND before going to an ER or jail.

I'm sure if you have a place that rents guns they will have a few minutes to show you each platform for any stand out diffeerences.

It would be neat to do a meetup, but it would be tough as that is about a 2700 mile drive to get there, so not that practical, and I don't know how to deal with the laws in some of those states.

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2023 at 12:26 AM, Enlight said:

18 hour Instruction + 2 hour live fire is mandatory here in NYC. I found a place in NJ called Guns for Hire that lets you rent guns as well, so I'm going to pay them a visit before I go through with any purchase.

Gun For Hire is expensive and always crowded. Go to Long Shot in Secaucus, better prices, less crowded and 15 minutes closer. 

• Like 1

Long Shot is where I did my required 2 hours range time. I'm still waiting on my final interview for the CCW, it's 13 months from when I first applied now. The instructor said he was seeing average 12-14 months. I've been circling the CZ 75 Compact for my purchase.

• Like 1

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread

43 minutes ago, Enlight said:

Long Shot is where I did my required 2 hours range time. I'm still waiting on my final interview for the CCW, it's 13 months from when I first applied now. The instructor said he was seeing average 12-14 months. I've been circling the CZ 75 Compact for my purchase.

I have the CZ P-01 and the CZ 2075 RAMI, they are my favorites.

• 4 months later...

I've been holding off on a firearm as funds have been diverted to the new venture, but NYPD Licensing called me Monday AM to ask why I haven't submitted my purchase yet. I was in the middle of losing a bidding war on GunBroker.com when I saw the listing below appear, as of this post the page only had 16 views. I snagged the competitive Buy It Now price and now await their instructions.

It's a single owner Beretta 84fs. I know 9mm is the smallest caliber many people accept for self-defense but I think .380acp will suit me fine. Seeing as I don't plan on purchasing another for the foreseeable future, I wanted something I could admire even while cleaning.

84fs.jpg

• Like 2

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread