LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

I miss the guns thread. Here's a new one.

One active gun thread is quite enough, thank you. Threads merged.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

My collection has recently expanded.

Inherited some of my dad's guns since my mom didn't want them in the house. You know because it's a good idea for a 66 year old woman living by herself in a rural area where the sheriffs deputies are 10 minutes or more away to be unarmed and defenseless. My brother and I split up the firearms, and I elected to keep:

1.) Colt King Cobra (new model) 3" bbl in .357 Magnum with fixed sights, this is the last firearm my dad purchased and he had just had a tritium front sight installed before he passed away. I also have the original brass bead front sight.

The trigger is excellent and the sights put bullets where they are looking, although I do wish the rear sight was more pronounced and useful. I'll probably get a good holster for this one and use it as a carry gun when I travel via air and there is even a remote risk of touching down in a state that is anti-gun and would put me in jail for having high capacity magazines or hollow points. I can stoke it with hot 158gr jacketed soft points or semi wad-cutters and it will be legal to possess in all 50 states and D.C. even if I can't conceal it in some of those areas at least I won't get arrested for claiming my luggage if I was on a flight that got diverted to shit ass New Jersey for example. I sure as hell wouldn't want to get shot with a hot loaded 158gr .357 Magnum loaded with JSP's or SWC's.

2.) Smith & Wesson 986 Pro with a 5" match slab sided bbl in 9X19 Luger, seven shot L frame gun. Got a bunch of TK Customs moon clips, and moon clip unloading tool. He bought this at my suggestion and it's a nice range gun, I will probably get the trigger and action worked over to make it really nice. Might also look into mounting an RDS on it.

3.) Ruger Singe Six convertible, .22LR and .22 Magnum (two cylinders). I grew up on this revolver and have a sentimental attachment to it, my son will now get his basic handgun marksmanship instruction with this little gem. I'll probably have some trigger work done on it as well. Gun was made approximately 1990 or so.

4.) Taurus 669 .357 Magnum 6" bbl, blued. Made in the early 1990's if memory serves. The first centerfire handgun I ever shot and my dad put so many rounds through it he shot the gun loose and out of time. Sent it back to Taurus and they fixed it, it has the most disgustingly smooth DA trigger I've even encountered on a Taurus from all the shooting it's seen. Still pretty heavy DA, but glass smooth. I'm not a big Taurus fan, but this one stays; sentimental value.

5.) Polish made Mosin-Nagant M-44 Carbine in 7.62X54R, probably made in the late 1940's or early 1950's. Un-issued, metal condition and bore are perfect. Stock looks like crude hammered out dog shit in the manner of all things Communist and Slav. Still has the original sling, and spike bayonet (aka Mr. Stabby). Interestingly the spike bayonet is beautifully polished and blued. I guess if you have to stab up some capitalist pigs, or enemies of the state you must do it in some style. Trigger is hot garbage, wood to metal fit is truly atrocious, but it works. Not pleasant to shoot given the sharp cornered metal butt plate, because you need a metal butt plate to smash dissidents teeth out before they are sent to the Gulag. Da Comrade!

6.) BONUS GUN! S&W Shield in 9X19 Luger. Found it in a large ammo box from the ammo my brother and I split up. LOL, has one standard magazine and one extended magazine that makes the grip almost useful. This one will be getting some Trijicon HD's installed, AIWB holster procured and will be going into carry rotation for those days I don't want to or can't practically carry and full size duty gun.

My brother traded off or sold everything he decided to take except for one, the only one of which I disagreed with was a numbers matching Norinco SKS, mostly due to sentimental value. Otherwise he took a couple of junker Taurus revolvers, a Bersa .380, and Ruger LCP in .380, the aforementioned SKS, a Ruger American Rifle in .22LR (which he did keep I think), and a CZ 527 in 7.62X39.

We did refuse to allow my mom to become defenseless so we forced her to shoot all the handguns my dad owned, for score at approximately the same distance as the longest shot she would have in the house. Despite her small hands she managed 7 "A" zone hits, no "C"s, "D"s or "M"s with a CZ 75 in 9X19 Luger. So she is currently armed with a CZ 75 and she can run the slide and controls as well as can be expected. I also insisted she keep my old Ruger 10/22 for pest control on the property.

My collection has recently expanded.

Inherited some of my dad's guns since my mom didn't want them in the house. You know because it's a good idea for a 66 year old woman living by herself in a rural area where the sheriffs deputies are 10 minutes or more away to be unarmed and defenseless. My brother and I split up the firearms, and I elected to keep:

1.) Colt King Cobra (new model) 3" bbl in .357 Magnum with fixed sights, this is the last firearm my dad purchased and he had just had a tritium front sight installed before he passed away. I also have the original brass bead front sight.

The trigger is excellent and the sights put bullets where they are looking, although I do wish the rear sight was more pronounced and useful. I'll probably get a good holster for this one and use it as a carry gun when I travel via air and there is even a remote risk of touching down in a state that is anti-gun and would put me in jail for having high capacity magazines or hollow points. I can stoke it with hot 158gr jacketed soft points or semi wad-cutters and it will be legal to possess in all 50 states and D.C. even if I can't conceal it in some of those areas at least I won't get arrested for claiming my luggage if I was on a flight that got diverted to shit ass New Jersey for example. I sure as hell wouldn't want to get shot with a hot loaded 158gr .357 Magnum loaded with JSP's or SWC's.

2.) Smith & Wesson 986 Pro with a 5" match slab sided bbl in 9X19 Luger, seven shot L frame gun. Got a bunch of TK Customs moon clips, and moon clip unloading tool. He bought this at my suggestion and it's a nice range gun, I will probably get the trigger and action worked over to make it really nice. Might also look into mounting an RDS on it.

3.) Ruger Singe Six convertible, .22LR and .22 Magnum (two cylinders). I grew up on this revolver and have a sentimental attachment to it, my son will now get his basic handgun marksmanship instruction with this little gem. I'll probably have some trigger work done on it as well. Gun was made approximately 1990 or so.

4.) Taurus 669 .357 Magnum 6" bbl, blued. Made in the early 1990's if memory serves. The first centerfire handgun I ever shot and my dad put so many rounds through it he shot the gun loose and out of time. Sent it back to Taurus and they fixed it, it has the most disgustingly smooth DA trigger I've even encountered on a Taurus from all the shooting it's seen. Still pretty heavy DA, but glass smooth. I'm not a big Taurus fan, but this one stays; sentimental value.

5.) Polish made Mosin-Nagant M-44 Carbine in 7.62X54R, probably made in the late 1940's or early 1950's. Un-issued, metal condition and bore are perfect. Stock looks like crude hammered out dog shit in the manner of all things Communist and Slav. Still has the original sling, and spike bayonet (aka Mr. Stabby). Interestingly the spike bayonet is beautifully polished and blued. I guess if you have to stab up some capitalist pigs, or enemies of the state you must do it in some style. Trigger is hot garbage, wood to metal fit is truly atrocious, but it works. Not pleasant to shoot given the sharp cornered metal butt plate, because you need a metal butt plate to smash dissidents teeth out before they are sent to the Gulag. Da Comrade!

6.) BONUS GUN! S&W Shield in 9X19 Luger. Found it in a large ammo box from the ammo my brother and I split up. LOL, has one standard magazine and one extended magazine that makes the grip almost useful. This one will be getting some Trijicon HD's installed, AIWB holster procured and will be going into carry rotation for those days I don't want to or can't practically carry and full size duty gun.

My brother traded off or sold everything he decided to take except for one, the only one of which I disagreed with was a numbers matching Norinco SKS, mostly due to sentimental value. Otherwise he took a couple of junker Taurus revolvers, a Bersa .380, and Ruger LCP in .380, the aforementioned SKS, a Ruger American Rifle in .22LR (which he did keep I think), and a CZ 527 in 7.62X39.

We did refuse to allow my mom to become defenseless so we forced her to shoot all the handguns my dad owned, for score at approximately the same distance as the longest shot she would have in the house. Despite her small hands she managed 7 "A" zone hits, no "C"s, "D"s or "M"s with a CZ 75 in 9X19 Luger. So she is currently armed with a CZ 75 and she can run the slide and controls as well as can be expected. I also insisted she keep my old Ruger 10/22 for pest control on the property.

I love pest control. Remmy 597 and Savage .17hmr for mine.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Also looking at building an AR next.

make sure you talk to us before you start buying parts :lol::lol::lol:

I'd argue for your first AR you're better off buying a complete rifle, but don't buy something cheap

My advice to you would be: don't be too cheap, you get what you pay for. Don't build something cheap and down the road start tinkering with nicer parts. If that's the case have patience and build it over time with the right parts.

I would avoid buying from Palmetto State Armory, they are VERY affordable but they aren't the best quality. If you're not gonna shoot the gun often then yeah it'll be fine. However if you're gonna shoot often you'll be left with more to desire, you'll either want a more expensive gun or you'll be spending more money upgrading parts.

If you're gonna build one, I recommend using all parts from these companies:

-Aero Precision: budget friendly, pretty good quality

-Spike's Tactical: Aero Precision makes their parts and puts the spike's roll mark and cool logos on them, slightly more expensive than Aero but it's the same quality

-CMMG: same as Aero, relatively affordable, good quality.

-Bravo Co. Manufacturing: a little more expensive but great quality, BCM owners swear by their guns.

-Noveske Rifleworks: expensive stuff but amazing quality. I swear by Noveske for a Milspec Rifle, extremely reliable, lots of cool features if you're in to that. I built my Noveske Pistol for about $1600 (including the optic) which may seem like a lot of money, but a complete pistol from Noveske retails for $2500 so I saved quite a bit of money.

Mega: If you're not a brand name whore, Mega makes Noveske's lower receivers and you can have the same quality lower for less money.

-Geissele: Also very expensive but a damn good gun. They started off making Triggers, optic mounts and other metal parts for rifles, always of the highest quality and about 2 years ago they entered the market with their own rifles. I use their triggers in almost all of my rifles, 10/10 recommend a geissele trigger if you build one.

Lewis Machine Tooling (LMT): Great guns, super high quality parts but they are NOT cheap. They're built like tanks.

Primary Weapons Systems: Similar to LMT

Radian Weapons: like many I've mentioned, they aren't cheap either but really high quality. I use their Raptor Charging Handle in a few of my rifles, also something I recommend using if you build something.

I hope this helps, there's a lot of information out there when it comes to buying or building an AR, a lot of it sucks. Ask us before you spend money :)

Edited by THE RZA

Looks nice. Are you left-handed?

Right handed...

That target was shot before making any sight adjustments... gun was just how I got it. I was mostly making sure it was in working order, and testing a few different powder charges. Now that I've settled that, I'll load up some ammo for it and take it out and dial it in.

• 2 weeks later...

We just picked up another Walther PPQ in 4" barrel for my wife to go with the 5" model I have.

With neither of us knowing much about handguns, we felt this would be the best option to have them both be the same for familiarity in understanding the mechanics and maintenance of each and plus it gives a total of 4 magazines that will fit either one.

Again, all you people that are much more knowledgeable than I am regarding handguns, please comment or if you feel the need, trash, but any and all comments are welcome.

I did a lot of research on these before purchasing and I literally can't find a single negative comment on the Walther PPQ. Plus, they fit both of our hands perfectly with the replaceable/adjustable grip pieces and if she's happy, so am I.

You did good. Walther PPQ is a solid platform with a well made well proven magazine. The heart of any auto loading firearm is the magazine and the PPQ has a good one.

Standardized pistols for both of you is smart to start out with because there are no handguns in the house that will be strange for either of you to use.

I do want a PPQ so I can start my collection of bond weapons. Already have a classic wood AK and he did use a P226 in the last movie & it’s been used by a lot of M16 Agents. I need a MP5, a classic A2 clone AR, an Uzi and I’d have most of them.

/S.....? I have a nice little 380 with rosewood grips and some trigger work. It is a bit fussy on ammo and I just don't shoot it enough to have it looked at. It likes and feeds Winchester white box just fine so that's what I shoot.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

You have a PPK yet?

No, I probably would get the PPK instead, I thought he used a PPQ in some of the newer movies but I just looked it up and it's just the PPK. The P226 is his choice of weapon when not using a PPK. If I had to ponder that's his 9MM arm of choice.

Edited by THE RZA