LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

Staring into the rabbit hole of precision rifles. Want to buy one or have one built.

This is going to be expensive.

Before you do, make sure you have somewhere to shoot it... at least 400-600 yards.

Years ago, I built a Remington 700 in .308. At the time I had easy access to a spot to shoot 600 yards. Things changed, and I had to drive over an hour to shoot more than 200 yards. Rifle didn't get shot for 2 years, so I ended up selling it.

Precision rifles are fun, but boring at short ranges. Unless you have easy access to a longer range, you may regret building one.

Staring into the rabbit hole of precision rifles. Want to buy one or have one built.

This is going to be expensive.

Maybe this? Or is the range too short on it? Just be careful since this could massacre your fingers worse than the "Garand Thumb".

Seems like there's some wind drift in that video.

Of course - you got to find one.

453747.png

6.5x55 is inherently a very accurate cartridge, mostly because of the high sectional density of 6.5mm bullets. Which is why we have a number of 6-6.5mm long distance cartridges these days.

I would pick a Mauser in 6.5x55 over the Ljungman, though neither is really a 'precision' rifle.

Before you do, make sure you have somewhere to shoot it... at least 400-600 yards.

Years ago, I built a Remington 700 in .308. At the time I had easy access to a spot to shoot 600 yards. Things changed, and I had to drive over an hour to shoot more than 200 yards. Rifle didn't get shot for 2 years, so I ended up selling it.

Precision rifles are fun, but boring at short ranges. Unless you have easy access to a longer range, you may regret building one.

Dude I live less that 15 minutes from a very nice range with steel already hung at 800 yards (if you have to use the 800 yard line firing position, more is possible with some creative positioning). Also have 300, and 500 yard steel. Plans to expand out to 1000 are in the works and there is space to do it.

Played with a friend’s 6.5X284 Norma out to 840 on the steel. Had fun, want more.

Probably go 6mm Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC, maybe both depending on chosen action and ability to run more than one bolt face. I’m familiar with using go and no go gauges, and have a good vice and torque wrench. Barrel changes don’t frighten me, and many of the better actions are so precise you can get chambered pre-fit barrels from Bartlein, and Proof Research.

Maybe this? Or is the range too short on it? Just be careful since this could massacre your fingers worse than the "Garand Thumb".

Seems like there's some wind drift in that video.

Of course - you got to find one.

Neat old rifles but no, something more along these lines:

https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/product/nucleus-gen-2-0-rifle-1200?category=26

Neat old rifles but no, something more along these lines:

https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/product/nucleus-gen-2-0-rifle-1200?category=26

Gopher and coyote hunting a mile away?

Seems like a neat gun, and at least practical. It looks like it's on the level that the shooter can't blame the gun anymore.

A lot more practical than these:

453747.png

Too much money for not enough performance in the type of shooting I would be doing.

Both PRS and NRL have a strict speed limit and caliber restrictions, and the AI really only shines in big magnums that have no competitive advantage in either series or are outright not allowed.

A quick look at what top shooters are using in either series, and it’s pretty much actions from Impact Precision, Defiance Machine, Curtis Custom, American Rifle Co, Bighorn Arms, and few others. Stocks/chassis are usually Masterpiece Arms, Modular Driven Technologies, Manners, or Foundation. Add a high end cut rifled custom barrel, and a high end trigger.

The pros aren’t running AI’s in this game, but they are crushing dudes who are bringing AI’s.

Remember a lot of the stuff that makes an AI or Barrett etc attractive for duty use or agency issue isn’t strictly needed on a competition gun. Some of the features on a competition gun would be totally inappropriate for a duty gun.

Plus there’s the issue of what division to shoot in. PRS production class rules dictate a rifle cost of under $2500, so you can shoot production class or go play with the big boys who’ve gone full retard on a $1400 action in a $1300 stock, with $300 triggers, a $750-$1000 custom barrel (that the top guys will burn up 2-3 of each season but they have sponsors), with $3K glass in $400 mounts. Plus a bipod, tripod, hand stops, barricade stops, bags, range finder, and a slew of other shit.

That’s fair if you want a competition rifle.

That’s like owning a JP Industries over a Knights Armament, outstanding competition rifle’s are JP’s wheelhouse, an outstanding duty rifle if Knights’ game.

If you just want a luxury experience with a bolt gun, AI is the way to go.

I used to only buy ammo online before sales tax became a thing last year, I still do because locally in NJ ammo is a rip off, Pennsylvania is about the same as online.. Where you are i’m sure you can buy ammo at a lot of local shops for cheap, you’re in the heart of gun country.

Targersportsusa has always been the best pricing. If you buy cases they ship for free and ship fairly fast. For me at least, they’re in Connecticut, I order from them and it’s at my house the next day.

Brownells is good when they run free shipping rates (other wise you’re paying $20 minimum for shipping and hazmat fees)

Cabela’s is good option when they have sales, they ship fast and usually from a store local to you, saves you the trip.

Ammo prices have been really high since march and the recent high demand for guns. You’re gonna pay a lot right now regardless, now you know why all the gun guys stockpile ammo when times are “good” in society, when people don’t think they need a gun and 9mm cost .10/round and 5.56 cost .25/round or better

Edited by THE RZA

Gun selection is a bit picked over out here. Depends on what you’re looking for.

High end guns of any description are fairly available, mid range and cheap stuff not so much.

Ammo is spotty, if you shoot primarily 9mmX19 NATO and 5.56mmX45 NATO, you’re in for a lousy time finding stuff. Back order it if you can, eventually it will be filled. I advise ordering a case or two at a time if you can afford to.

Other stuff is no problem, revolver ammo not an issue, big bore auto not an issue .40S&W and .45 ACP can still be had. Hunting rifle caliber ammo no problem.

I know people like to simplify and standardize their calibers, but those of us with multiple choices still get to shoot and find ammo. Might not be the gun I want to train with, but it’s the gun I can feed. I have pistols in .40 and .45 so far ammo isn’t impossible to find for those two. I have a revolver that can run .45 ACP, .45 Super, .45 Schofield, .45 Colt, and .454 Casull. Granted it’s a big 6” barrel custom made 5 shot but if you think I can’t do work with a .452” diameter 300gr bonded core hollow point trucking along at 1500fps I think you’re in for a bad time, years ago I used to use that load to shoot rocks and it will strait up smash sandstone rocks the size of your head into chunks and dust. Same for a hunting rifle, I can promise you don’t want to get zapped by a 140gr Barnes solid copper polymer tipped hollow point moving along at 3175fps, I know what they will do to deer and antelope, and I know guys who have put them in one shoulder of a bull elk and out the other on the opposite side. Don’t underestimate “fudd” guns, they might not be all tacti-cool but they’re almost always chambered in shit that is way way more potent than general issue military small arms. Remember if they’ll go right through an elk and leave a fist sized hole on the exit side, they’ll similarly **** up some dumb motherfucker who shows up in your house at 0300 to talk about Jesus.

Gun selection is a bit picked over out here. Depends on what you’re looking for.

High end guns of any description are fairly available, mid range and cheap stuff not so much.

Ammo is spotty, if you shoot primarily 9mmX19 NATO and 5.56mmX45 NATO, you’re in for a lousy time finding stuff. Back order it if you can, eventually it will be filled. I advise ordering a case or two at a time if you can afford to.

Other stuff is no problem, revolver ammo not an issue, big bore auto not an issue .40S&W and .45 ACP can still be had. Hunting rifle caliber ammo no problem.

I know people like to simplify and standardize their calibers, but those of us with multiple choices still get to shoot and find ammo. Might not be the gun I want to train with, but it’s the gun I can feed. I have pistols in .40 and .45 so far ammo isn’t impossible to find for those two. I have a revolver that can run .45 ACP, .45 Super, .45 Schofield, .45 Colt, and .454 Casull. Granted it’s a big 6” barrel custom made 5 shot but if you think I can’t do work with a .452” diameter 300gr bonded core hollow point trucking along at 1500fps I think you’re in for a bad time, years ago I used to use that load to shoot rocks and it will strait up smash sandstone rocks the size of your head into chunks and dust. Same for a hunting rifle, I can promise you don’t want to get zapped by a 140gr Barnes solid copper polymer tipped hollow point moving along at 3175fps, I know what they will do to deer and antelope, and I know guys who have put them in one shoulder of a bull elk and out the other on the opposite side. Don’t underestimate “fudd” guns, they might not be all tacti-cool but they’re almost always chambered in shit that is way way more potent than general issue military small arms. Remember if they’ll go right through an elk and leave a fist sized hole on the exit side, they’ll similarly **** up some dumb motherfucker who shows up in your house at 0300 to talk about Jesus.

Sadly this is all true :lol: I have more than enough 5.56/.223 from stocking up over the years, but never enough 9MM. In the last year I've shot 9MM more than anything else because of how cheap it is. Not lately :lol:

A while back, I picked up a couple of 'gunsmith special' S&W model 10 .38 specials. These were used as police guns overseas, then re-patriated. The stupidities of gun import laws required that they could not be 'imported' with the original 2" barrels, so the barrels are removed and they become 'gunsmith specials'.

50050975488_439162d810_c.jpg

It took a couple months to find the proper original type barrel and some other parts, and get it installed, but #1 is up and shooting.

50203878377_d94e978901_c.jpg

Now that it's operational, it's time to do an action job and a couple other custom touches. Also thinking about a Cerakote refinish. Althoug these guns are a little beat, I've still got only about 60% of market value invested in #1 at this point.

Working on plans for #2, which is a little nicer condition, and will likely get a 3" barrel.

Dude, send it off for industrial hard chrome.

That was actually my first choice, but it's getting really hard to find a hard chrome shop anymore. None of the local gunsmiths have a shop they have a relationship with, and I can't even find a plater in Phoenix that has a good reputation for guns. I'm trying to avoid sending it out of state.

The last gun I had hard chromed was in the late 1980s... the landscape has changed a LOT!

I do have a local factory certified Cerakote shop, so I'm considering it, but it wasn't my first choice.

Anyone here have a Glock 43X? I'm looking at getting one with the new 15 round mags and probably upgrading the sights, maybe trigger, and get some custom milled texturing from a local shop.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Anyone here have a Glock 43X? I'm looking at getting one with the new 15 round mags and probably upgrading the sights, maybe trigger, and get some custom milled texturing from a local shop.

I bought one for my wife earlier this year. We haven't shot it a whole lot yet, but I like it more than I typically like Glocks. It's a good size for a small concealment gun, and with 15rnd mags, pretty potent.

Are you looking at the Shield Arms mags? I've been thinking about picking up a few of them.

The 43X seems to recoil a little more than my S&W Shield, and even my Kahr PM9. It also has a little different trigger shape, which (to me, anyway) makes the trigger feel heavier than most Glocks. I'm not really a Glock fan, so it may just be me.

No issues with my 43X. Aftermarket parts are:

Brownells threaded barrel. Hyve aluminum mag release, Hyve Tiger backplate, Shield Arms 15 rd mags, Ameriglo Hackathorn night sights.

I got three of the 15 rd mags when they first came out. Coworkers and I then proceeded to shoot a case of ammo to break the mags in. No issues. They then ordered mags for themselves. They’re still running OEM mag catches and will replace if needed. I just blinged mine up with the red Hyve pieces.