LegacyGT.com

6th Gen Tuning Thread

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my 2.5i tune in around two weeks ago and by now I have had enough time to get a real feel for it. I put the K&N drop filter in and did a fuzzy reset before I sent off my stock tune to Matt and that is the only performance mod I am running. Took around a week to get it all sorted with some revisions, and I am very happy with the tune (also did the fuzzy reset after getting the tune).

Matt sent me two initial tunes with different throttle response, one with a very touchy response and the other with a very slow and mild response. The slow and mild was just a pain to drive, always putting my foot very far down to get anywhere, so I had him tweak the touchy throttle. I sometimes have to watch my foot because the car will tend to be launch happy. Low end torque is up significantly, and I see a massive difference in acceleration when running in a low gear on manual mode and hammering the gas. It really makes the car zip around. Higher gears at higher speeds I do notice increased power, and it puts a smile on my face going around the back country roads getting up close and personal with the throttle.

Huge thanks to Tigger and BeastCoast for helping me directly with it!

Does anyone know when the new TH tune is going to be sent out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also waiting on TH's latest revision for the 3.6. I'm actually also curious about the new tune Subaru says will be debuted on the 2018 Legacy. Hopefully Matt can get his hands on that tune when it comes out and update ours with whatever new parameters they have, plus whatever he can develop off of it.

I'm also waiting on TH's latest revision for the 3.6. I'm actually also curious about the new tune Subaru says will be debuted on the 2018 Legacy. Hopefully Matt can get his hands on that tune when it comes out and update ours with whatever new parameters they have, plus whatever he can develop off of it.

Ditto.

Was in contact with TH last night and he was hoping to have the updates out to everyone in the next week or so.

And I'm sure once he gets a read of the 2018 file he can look at using this as a base and adding his maps to it. But that will be down the track a bit and may require someone with a Tactrix cable to a take a car for a "test drive", park up in a lot and read the ECU.

Was in contact with TH last night and he was hoping to have the updates out to everyone in the next week or so.

And I'm sure once he gets a read of the 2018 file he can look at using this as a base and adding his maps to it. But that will be down the track a bit and may require someone with a Tactrix cable to a take a car for a "test drive", park up in a lot and read the ECU.

I wouldn't mind going for a "test drive" once it comes out. If I can help any way, I'm in.

Awesome! Thanks for the update. Did he mention if the flex tune was ready with the update(U.S. Cars)?

Awesome! Thanks for the update. Did he mention if the flex tune was ready with the update(U.S. Cars)?

No mention of the flex tune but I didn't ask specifically about it. I'm hoping to catch up with him this weekend as he's in my city doing tuning. I think he's going to be pretty busy as it's his first trip of the year.

Has anyone heard from Matt/TH yet...he hasn't answered in a while

I was in contact with him over the weekend. He had been flat out travelling/tuning from the 6th-13th Feb in 3 cities/3 states so try contacting him again now.

Unfortunately one of his flights was delayed so my retune got bumped. Hopefully I can catch him next trip in a month or so.

No news yet on the flex tune/E85.

I was in contact with him over the weekend. He had been flat out travelling/tuning from the 6th-13th Feb in 3 cities/3 states so try contacting him again now.

Unfortunately one of his flights was delayed so my retune got bumped. Hopefully I can catch him next trip in a month or so.

No news yet on the flex tune/E85.

I've been trying to reach him since mid January

Matt has been very ill, was out of circulation for a while. I'm sure he has a huge backlog of work.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

My 2017 Legacy CVT with the latest tune from XRT just went 0-60 in 6.68 seconds..... with a ski box on top and a 1/2 tank of gas.

I started in the mid 7s so I'm really pleased with where I'm at today. The CVT is the sharpest it's ever been and the car is flat out hauling serious ass.

There's been some false information going around regarding XRT tunes and CVT transmissions. I can assure anyone who has been told or otherwise come across this information it is not true.

I've been tuning with XRT as an experimental CVT car since late November. My car has done all sorts of weird stuff as a result of XRT experimental tunes and there is no damage to my CVT or any other part of my car.

Anyone who has been influenced by false information should know the truth and make an educated decision. This business of lying to encourage others to use one tuner over the other is BS.

Use who you like - be informed when you make your decision. I'll continue to post my updates as I have them.

My 2017 Legacy CVT with the latest tune from XRT just went 0-60 in 6.68 seconds..... with a ski box on top and a 1/2 tank of gas.

I started in the mid 7s so I'm really pleased with where I'm at today. The CVT is the sharpest it's ever been and the car is flat out hauling serious ass.

There's been some false information going around regarding XRT tunes and CVT transmissions. I can assure anyone who has been told or otherwise come across this information it is not true.

I've been tuning with XRT as an experimental CVT car since late November. My car has done all sorts of weird stuff as a result of XRT experimental tunes and there is no damage to my CVT or any other part of my car.

Anyone who has been influenced by false information should know the truth and make an educated decision. This business of lying to encourage others to use one tuner over the other is BS.

Use who you like - be informed when you make your decision. I'll continue to post my updates as I have them.

Have you had the TH tune before? I'm just curious as to what the difference is besides response time and communication efforts.

Have you had the TH tune before? I'm just curious as to what the difference is besides response time and communication efforts.

No, I have not. For me, I have no need or desire to try two tunes...... Even if customer service was on the same level.

The CVT is the sharpest it's ever been and the car is flat out hauling serious ass.

This business of lying to encourage others to use one tuner over the other is BS.

I'm merely an interested observer in this tuning thread, but I do find the fact that there is apparent animosity creeping into the discussion, a bit disappointing because it seems to stop members from posting their opinions or ideas and that means we all miss out. I have absolutely no idea if tuning affects CVT transmissions, ..... but can I respectfully submit to you that if you have only been tuning your car since November, then it's probably a bit too early to say that the CVT is unaffected ...... hopefully in 5 years time you can say the same thing. Again I repeat, ... you might well be 100% correct in your statement about tunes and CVT, but I'm not sure it's fair to call it BS if someone suggests that there might be problems down the track. It might not be deliberate "false information" ..... it might be just an "honest opinion" ...... and you only have to read through a few different threads on this forum to see that opinions are like Aholes ..... everyone has one :)

PD, you have the takeda intake and the custom catback, correct? Pretty nice times for the CVT.

I'm going to comment one last time.

First off, not sure what's going on with Matt but I wish him good health. I've briefly chatted with him on Facebook posts about car related stuff. He's knowledgeable, no doubt. He's a good dude. A busy man. I bet he gets to tune the crazy 1200whp monstrosities.

Maybe many don't realize but we're not the only ones tuned by XRT. There's a 4 page section on the website (something like 80) Legacy 3.0R's that he's tuned alone. Many many many positive reviews, which is why I made the choice that I did. I won't mention tuners, I won't mention members but three other 3.6R members were tuned by other people and we're unhappy and moved to XRT and are now ecstatic. One even tried two different tuners before making the move. Let's not forget the supercharged 3.6R that's been running for 2 years I think it is? I am NOT saying, "Omg, this is the best dude, everyone else sucks." But I still stand behind my recommendation.

Secondly, support your local tuners! Let's not forget that there's other Subaru enthusiasts in the US, EU, and AU that know what they're doing. I just happened to go with XRT because he's knowledgeable in the EZ36, moreso than a lot in the US here. He knows them flat 6's well. Just do your research. Actually LEARN something. When I started tuning, I bugged the heck out of Ed. "Why does? How does? How do you?" I learned so much. He isn't just a tuner to me but a mentor. I've learned a lot the past year so far.

Lastly, he's spent time tweaking the 5EAT even more lately than what he's done in the past on the 3.0R's. I spent a lot of time, like PDRealtor here, trying out different ROMs. It's now a different car. I don't think I can bring myself to load up the stock ROM anymore. My car responds and drives exactly how I like. Sounds good too. It's too bad I have the stock mufflers.

But anywho, long story short. Do your research. Don't bash people (seriously, I wanna see one of you guys tune a car by yourself, let's see it :p) and have fun.

One more thing. You 6th gen folk have a nicer interior. I'm jelly.

Being completely honest. I haven't heard of anyone having an issue with their car being tuned. *sighs* Let me show you guys something.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2628737

This is a Stage 2 WRX CVT. It's still going! It uses the same HT-CVT as the 3.6R. As long as you take precautions it'll be fine. He uses a Mishimoto transmission cooler. Heat seems to be the number one killer. I've monitored my ATF temps during spirited drives just to make sure it was cooling properly. In many situations with cars, heat is thy enemy.

Moving along,

I seriously like the new Legacy interior. The body, eh, idk. I can't get over that front end. Maybe if someone did something with that grill. 5th gen is the same way. I think the 4th gen was good looking out of the box. Also, I can't stand my headlights. Who thought 3 square feet of chrome inside a headlight was a good idea? I'm going to the Cleveland Auto Show next week hopefully and maybe I'll get to see that new Impreza.

Anywho, off topic. Make sure you clean your MAF sensor after the K&N.

And thanks. It's a blast to drive. I wish I had boost in 3rd gear sometimes. I'd probably get in trouble ): Haha. I spent a long time reviewing 5EAT tweaks like you did. It's shifts nice and firm now. Downshifts like a maniac. The paddles even feel a bit quicker. It makes a cool woosh sound between shifts because of holding power between them.