LegacyGT.com

PeterJMC's 2008 Spec B

So your going to take a great running car and fix it with different stuff...who would do that to one of these cars....oh yea, that's right, most of us.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks, Nolmers! It's good to be back and is taking a bit to get used to, but in a good way.

Any tips on drilling the hole right the first time? I was thinking about using a laser to maintain the marked area.

Does Ohio require front plates that you might have to eventually get if you switch your registration? :)

As an Ohio resident, front plates are indeed required. That said, I haven't run a front plate in well over a year, and I know quite a few people who've done the same. I've also heard about people getting popped for no front plate. Kind of an 'at your own risk' deal.

Removed Tint

Car was purchased with 20% tint all around which would not pass inspection. AndrewTech took the car to a local shop, Cutting Edge Tint, to do the work. The tint was pulled off and I'm looking at some brands to put back on.

When I bought my spec.B, it measured 12% all around at every inspection station I went to (needless to say, it didn't pass). After getting sick of getting pulled over, I removed them myself and had 3M Crystalline CR45 installed all around (kept the 12-15% stuff on the sunroof though) except the front windshield. Well above the MA 35% legal limit, but the heat rejection is unbelievable.

I'd recommend dropping the extra cash on the 3M Crystalline stuff. It's amazing how well it rejects heat. If your front windshield is good (no pitting, etc.) and you don't plan on replacing it, I'd also cover the front windshield with CR70 or CR90. Technically it's illegal, but it's damn-near invisible and still blocks a huge amount of heat. Cost me about $750 to do the car without the front windshield, if they did the front I think it would have run me around $900ish.

As an Ohio resident, front plates are indeed required. That said, I haven't run a front plate in well over a year, and I know quite a few people who've done the same. I've also heard about people getting popped for no front plate. Kind of an 'at your own risk' deal.

I got popped for no front plate when I had a front plate mounted on the front bumper. Solon/Bentlyville play no games with Ohio plated cars w/o front plates.

@ 72,255 miles, I took it to AndrewTech Automotive and they did all this in the past two days:

• Performed Multi-point Inspection
  • Performed Compression and Leakdown Test
  • Removed Tint
  • Took the car to a Maryland (MD) Vehicle Inspection Station

After looking at reviews on a few shops in the area, I decided to take it to AndrewTech Automotive to look over the car and make sure it's ready to pass MD state inspection.

Before I even got to the shop the car threw a Check Engine Light (CEL) with a code P0172 - System too rich bank 1. Vacuum hoses checked out OKAY. The IAT needed some TLC. I cleaned it up, cleared the codes and logged some miles on the car before heading in to make sure the car was good to go before heading in.

Performed Multi-point Inspection

Everything checked out good. A few things noted were that the the following items needed to be replaced soon battery, oil, and accessory belt.

Performed Compression and Leakdown Test

• Compression Test

• Cylinder 1 = 130

• Cylinder 2 = 130

• Cylinder 3 = 130

• Cylinder 4 = 130

Leakdown Results:

• Cylinder 1 - 5%

• Cylinder 2 - 4%

• Cylinder 3 - 5%

• Cylinder 4 - 5%

Removed Tint

Car was purchased with 20% tint all around which would not pass inspection. AndrewTech took the car to a local shop, Cutting Edge Tint, to do the work. The tint was pulled off and I'm looking at some brands to put back on.

Took the car to a Maryland (MD) Vehicle Inspection Station

AndrewTech also took the car to a local shop that is licensed to perform state inspections. The car passed MD inspection with only one minor correction needed. The center brake light was missing a bulb. Bulb was installed the car is now street legal!

So now it's time for the MODs to begin? :spin:

Wait I thought you guys were like VA where any shop can perform the test. I used a Shell gas station for mine in Springfield/Burke but my tuner DPS in Gaithersburg Maryland was also a licensed MD state inspection shop.

A shop has to be a licensed or certified inspection station to perform a formal inspection to include notifying the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) of the results.

So this weekend I'll try to knock out oil change, replacement of accessory belts, replacement of battery, and install new spark plugs. Maybe I'll throw on some coil overs too? :)

Any tips on drilling the hole right the first time? I was thinking about using a laser to maintain the marked area.

Honestly, I just took a sharpie and reached behind the bumper and marked the back of the cover. Then found the center of the marked circle and took a hole saw about the size of it and drilled it.

@ 72,482 miles I did a handful of maintenance and installed some GrimmSpeed goodies:

• Replaced oil and oil filter with Rotella 5w-40 and a Six Star oil filter
  • Replaced spark plugs with stock Subaru NGK plugs
  • Replaced both v-belts
  • Cleaned the air filter
  • Repaired a failing connector for the Hella Horns
  • Installed GrimmSpeed Alternator Cover
  • Installed GrimmSpeed Radiator Shroud
  • Installed GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

I spent about 7 hours from prep to clean-up, working on the front end of the car. I worked at a slow pace and inspected everything I was working on and everything surrounding it. It's something I generally do while doing work but took extra time inspecting since this car is new to me.

Here is the engine bay before all the work.

20150926_075502.jpg

I knocked out a lot of routine maintenance items. I did the oil thing. I did the spark plug thing. I did the air filter cleaning thing. The v-belts were in dire need for replacement. The old belts were cracked and pieces were missing. The power steering was wonky and I think this was causing charging problems to the battery.

As I was pulling out the battery to do the spark plugs I noticed a connector connected to the negative battery terminal that was failing. It was the negative connector for the Hella Horns. I cut off the bad connector and replaced it.

20150926_173251.jpg

Installed GrimmSpeed Alternator Cover

I decided to replace the the Subtle Solutions alternator cover with one from GrimmSpeed. I did it for no other reason than aesthetics.
:)

Like the Subtle Solutions Alternator cover, the GrimmSpeed cover requires you to install a Impreza alternator cover bracket, this is a piece not installed from the factory on the Legacy. The install went, for the most part, like it was documented in the generic instructions
. The instructions do not guide you on how to install the Impreza bracket. If you have questions on how to do so, let me know.

What their guide also doesn't cover is what a b*tch it is to try and manage holding, positioning, and installing the right side of the cover. I must have dropped the washer in the lower engine tray a hand full of times. If you are doing this install, definitely make sure your car is on ramps or on jack stands so you can easily slide underneath the car and grab anything that falls in the engine tray.

Installed GrimmSpeed Radiator Shroud

I did this install also for aesthetics and the cool tool tray. What a neat idea! I used it all day today to hold tools, bolts, and my phone to watch youtube and play Clash of Clans
:D

A note, if you plan on buying this.
GrimmSpeed does not indicate on their website or their install instructions that you loose the ability to mount your air scoop. If you install this, you won't be able to fasten down the air scoop with the popclips. You will either have to go without using it or modify it in some way.

The install was fairly straight forward and without complications. The only installation instructions they have are for the '02-'07 Impreza
. The differing step is the hood prop clip which you should be able to figure out.

Installed GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

I've come across a few failed OEM crank pulley threads and decided to replace this while I'm doing the v-belts.

The install was pretty straight forward and went just as the installation guide

A note on Step 15 - Rocking back and forth on the OE crank pulley simply does loosen and magically remove the crank pulley.
At least it didn't for me. You really need to use some leverage and pry it out little bit by little bit and rotate it along the way.
DO NOT PRY AGAINST THE PLASTIC ENGINE COVER.
That's in bold just in case you think that might be a good idea. I wish I did a video of my approach, but there was no way for me to hold the camera and work at the same time.

Does it improve performance?

I took it out for a few miles and it seems to be a noticeable improvement according to my butt-o-meter.
:D
Or that improvement could also be from the general maintenance I did.

• The car does feel like it's easier to rev match when downshifting

• It does feel like it accelerates a little faster than normal

• No issues with idle after logging a few miles in the car

Installed

20150926_105614.jpg

Here is the engine bay after the work.

20150926_175418.jpg

I ran out of time today and I wasn't able to install the Tarmacs. I'll see if I can dedicate some time tomorrow to knock that install out.

I did catch a few things today that I need to fix before they become a problem.

1) There is an A/C high pressure hose that is rubbing against the GrimmSpeed Master Cylinder Brace. I need to move the hose so they do not touch or put something between them.

2) The Cobb SF blue tube looks to be rubbing against a plastic piece attached to the engine. It looks like it's been slowly wearing or has deformed an area of the rubber tube. If you own a Cobb SF intake, inspect this area to see if it might be a potential problem for you that you need to address.

20150926_161059.jpg

Blue intake hose and red alternator/radiator shrouds :spin:

Yea, that blue intake hose is gonna have to go. Need to get a black or red intake. Probably black because I need to tone down that red :)

So many parts installed so quickly!

I was hoping to do the Tarmacs this weekend but didn't get around to it. I get to save some upgrade fun for another weekend!

Wait the most important thing is missing, where's the beer?

D'oh! I knew I was missing something. I probably would have been a little warmer in the morning with a few in me

Archived