LegacyGT.com

PeterJMC's 2008 Spec B

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know on my 05 it was an absolute breeze but my friend got an 08 GT in November and wanted the lights blacked out and those blinker reservoirs drain slowly!! :spin:

hahaahahahahaahaha

Yeah even in 80 degree weather I had to take air pump to mine and pump the fluid out, shit is thick as molasses.

This came in today but I cannot read! I'm not able to install because I can't follow instructions.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160120/9b31985a90e959ea43131fb988f1ed00.jpg

It's actually pretty simple.

I can type up a translation after work if you need one.:cool:

Update!

The car has pretty much been sitting for the past few months waiting for me to put some parts on it, and torque everything back down.

What started as a need to replace the axle boot and installing a few Whiteline parts (roll center kit, and steering rack bushings) turned into...

- Installing a new axle...

- Installing the Whiteline parts...

- Ordering new power steering lines... (because old lines were looking badly corroded)

- Ordering and installing new transmission brace... (because of broken bolt in brace)

- Ordering and installing new front center jack brace... (because of broken bolt in brace)

- Ordering new undercarriage bolts... (because so badly rusted)

- Installing a Group-N STi transmission mount... (because why not since I'm there)

- Installing Whiteline transmission brace bushings... (because why not too since I'm there)

- Installing a '15 STi power steering rack and u joint... (because ohh why not because I'm already replacing lines)

Thank you Underdog for posting this, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/underdog-motorsports-2015-sti-steering-rack-swap-234351.html

I ended up going with getting a ’15 STi PS rack because I was in the area anyway to replace the crusty lines. I found a pretty good deal on ebay for the rack and steering u joint.

I finally was able to get the power steering rack installed. It took about 6-7 hours total over the past two days because I was moving super slow from the cold and also struggled with trying to get it the rack to mount back in. I haven't been able to drive it yet. The difference is definitely noticeable. I have to disconnect the rack again to get it as close to center as possible. After modifying the inner tie rod ends, there still isn’t much room for extra adjustment.

I left off yesterday completing a system bleed. It took about an hour to an hour and a half to complete that work. I bled the system using this thread and it worked wonderfully, except after I started up the car it kept spitting up air bubbles. After starting and stopping the car a few times trying to bleed the system with the belt still connected, I ended up disconnecting the belt again and manually doing the bleed process again. That did the trick and everything seems to sound normal… There is a slight low frequency hum, I can’t tell if that is normal or if there is still something wrong with the PS system. I know that there was this noise in the engine bay after I replaced the drive belts, but can’t tell if it’s the same noise as before.

It might be a few more weeks until I get more progress.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160206/4e310d35ecf05d0abc49c018e6bfbcbb.jpg

You are killing me. Need to how it works with VDC.

Do you have the part number for the power steering lines?

Here is what I ordered before I decided to replace the PS rack. Of these parts, I only used the ones with a * before the item description.

1 *CLIP-HOSE,B . NO.1 - 31026GA400

1 *HOSE ASSEMBLY-POWER STEERING - 34610AG10A

1 *GASKET - 34621AC024

1 PIPE-GEAR BOX,RIGHT - 34114AG04A

1 PIPE-LONG - 34114AG05A

1 PIPE ASSEMBLY-PRESSURE - 34114AG06A

1 PIPE ASSEMBLY-RETURN - 34114AG07A

1 *O RING - 34192AG04A

1 *O RING - 34192AG05A

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

UPDATE!!!!! Car is now back on the road... :lol:

I took it around the block and in the middle of it I realized that I forgot to install the bolt which holds the steering wheel to the spline on the steering u joint!! I started making turns super slow after that... whew...

ABS and the traction control light stay illuminated after I started it up from it's long slumber.... ABS light is out after getting a good short drive in. But for some reason the traction control light is still on.

While I was under there, I replaced the front Cobb Swaybar with a Whiteline unit. I plan on doing the same for the rear swaybar.

I hope to finally get those Cobb mufflers on the car to replace the SPT cans.

Since buying the car in Sept 2015... I've put less than 2,000 miles on it :lol:

shiiiit Peter I got my V and garaged it for the winter and put double the miles on it than you put on the LGT (got it at 16,500 miles just hit 20k) :lol:

Glad to hear its back on the road though, dont hicksta the stearing rack!

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/Jay04WRX/216C8414-1687-4D48-B143-7A6DE7A06E5A_zpsfa7hxkcw.jpg

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

UPDATE!!!!! Car is now back on the road... :lol:

I took it around the block and in the middle of it I realized that I forgot to install the bolt which holds the steering wheel to the spline on the steering u joint!! I started making turns super slow after that... whew...

ABS and the traction control light stay illuminated after I started it up from it's long slumber.... ABS light is out after getting a good short drive in. But for some reason the traction control light is still on.

While I was under there, I replaced the front Cobb Swaybar with a Whiteline unit. I plan on doing the same for the rear swaybar.

I hope to finally get those Cobb mufflers on the car to replace the SPT cans.

Since buying the car in Sept 2015... I've put less than 2,000 miles on it :lol:

Let us know how the rear sway brackets and bushings look...I seem to recall it was someone's first time changing the bushings in there garage in Ellington...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I tried my best to wash off the salt and or chemicals the state used. They don't care about us or our cars even though the chemicals they use are toxic. That's why I had to regrease the bushings so much.
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

• 3 months later...

@ 73,600 miles I had a few things done at Andrewtech Automotive

• Changed oil
  • Transmission and rear differential drain and fill
  • Installed Whiteline Rear Adjustable Arm kit (KTA124)
  • Alignment

Whiteline Rear Adjustable Arm kit (KTA124)

I'm glad I had the shop do this. The rear upper arm bolts were seized and they had to cut the bolts out. I would have lost my shit and the few hour job would have taken me a few days.

This kit replaced the Perrin Rear Lateral links which had spherical bushings. Those looked like shit and needed to be replaced. I'll have to post some pics of those later.

I've put less than 2,000 miles on the car since I bought it last year :lol: This is mostly because it's been sitting in dire need for an alignment and had been undriveable because the scope of the work I was doing creeped from just replacing the transmission mount to... Whiteline Roll Center Kit, Steering Rack, replacing rusted bolts, etc. :spin: That mixed with the cycles of life, laziness, being forgetful... it just wasn't a priority until the past few weeks.

the '15 STi steering rack feels GREAT! It definitely feels different, and it's not just from having the Whiteline Roll Center and steering rack bushings installed. Steering is solid and smooth. It's going to take a bit to get used to the ratio.

The VDC light is illuminated and I need to track down what's causing it. I'm confident that it's not the new steering rack, it remains lit after unplugging the 12v battery. I'll check the fuses, steering wheel/clockspring, or maybe the etune disabled it?

Hopefully the weather is clear this weekend. I have more things to do!

Nice progress, weird about the VDC tho. Gonna be watching closely as I desperately yearn for that steering rack :wub:

Thanks! I decided to jump on doing the steering rack when I did because I found a used one on eBay for $299 which included the STi steering u-joint. :)

Archived