LegacyGT.com

PeterJMC's 2008 Spec B

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated Too
VDC light could be from a bad ABS sensor or an ABS sensor wire that got broken. It could also be a bad connection at the steering angle sensor, or a screwed up clock spring. It definitely sounds electronic versus mechanical

VDC light could be from a bad ABS sensor or an ABS sensor wire that got broken. It could also be a bad connection at the steering angle sensor, or a screwed up clock spring. It definitely sounds electronic versus mechanical

Thanks! Good suggestion, it could be the speed sensor on the passenger side... I think I manhandled that hub a bit pulling it away to get the Axle in and out a few times :lol::(

• 2 weeks later...

@ 73,623 miles I had some time today to do one thing...

• Installed JDM Dual Console Box/Armrest Storage (Part No: J2017AG00)

I wanted to do a few other things today... swap out the SPT mufflers with the Cobb mufflers, and also swap out the rear Cobb swaybar with the Whiteline one, but I know that my OCD is going to require me to replace the rear swaybar reinforcement bracket too, so I decided not to look at it.

JDM Dual Console Box/Armrest Storage (Part No: J2017AG00)

The install was easy and very straight forward. The instructions are in Japanese but it is easy to look at the pictures and figure out what you need to do.

When you install it, you reuse the arm rest lid. The arm rest lid was the OEM accessory arm rest extension. The storage bin works perfectly fine with that.

The feel is good. It is just the right height. I can rest my elbow on the arm rest and my body doesn't feel like it's leaning to the right. If I extend the arm rest lid (US OEM accessory) the arm rest is waaay too tall. It's uncomfortable. Just having that is unnecessary now. Maybe I'll swap it out for a stock one and sell it.

Not sure if these pictures will show up...

USDM Armrest Extension (not extended)

LPEkHgh4JLXfM3Ibm_ommDQJhpjBIgg7C76MGEcoqjKh9xuGQ8H8xPNjC5il45EX5D_fe5XjzpQ=w1366-h768-rw-no

USDM Armrest Extension (extended)yDk6zLjDarLorAdGDPHlALyv7VwOg3D0Dkgxoss15J2FIrfMEbr00rUnfYtobMrzpj8ZUl0hF5E=w1366-h768-rw-no

JDM Armrest Storage Installed / USDM Armrest Extension (not extended)

x2ttmBTT0AM15xPXV52Qmtc8WS226Y58trsjZrxVCWSFLsXPAB0DlaHg0CW3k1EzLhwfX7rziSk=w1366-h768-rw-no

JDM Armrest Storage Installed / USDM Armrest Extension (extended)

obm6pcuBlkVHvWCnZgQJ_GDmzj5jsqbKflMN6HKfI99QLIf5eywj55XkBUx3uIU8oEDczmmg4EE=w1366-h768-rw-no

Pictures for the JDM storage aren't showing up. I'm interested in how it looks.

It's the same thing as what I have. The JDM dual console with the extended armrest was way too tall and in the way and I went back to a JDM leather covered armrest.

@ 73,693 miles

• Uninstalled Cobb Accessport v2
  • Installed Cobb Accessport v3 :D
  • Fixed vacuum leak at BPV

Accessport Swap

I found one on Nasioc for $450 in mint condition so I pulled the trigger to make the switch. It's much easier to use for logging and reading gauges.

I did some logging to finally get my Tuning Alliance tune done. I started the process a long time ago but was never able to get it completed because the car was sitting unable to be driven.

Fixed vacuum leak at BPV

The vacuum hose attaching to the Forge BPV wasn't seating properly, even with a tight ziptie. There simply wasn't enough length of hose. Whoever did this install did a poor job. I wonder if BB-V did this install himself...
:lol:

The fix was simple, rotate the top of the BPV so the nipple pointed in the same direction as the stock one. Viola, lots of slack in hose, and it fit and sealed great.

Steering Rack Update

The STi steering rack is working great! I was able to get it into some fast twisty roads and some slow sharp ones this morning. The steering wheel is very responsive. Other than the steering ratio, I can't say that the rack replacement itself attributed to improved feel and responsiveness. I did a number of things in the front end that would have attributed to improving road feel. Steering is very solid and direct. There is no slop.

VDC doesn't activate because it's just not working right now. I still need to do further troubleshooting on what's causing the VDC light to illuminate / malfunction of the VDC system. I suspect that it's either clock spring or a fuse.

• 3 weeks later...

The the Legacy has now been elevated to DD duty since my Prius is now totaled :eek: It's a blessing in disguise because I've been dedicating more time to cleaning addressing issues with the car in the past two weeks :lol:

VDC Light Issue

So the clock spring checks out to be working fine. I suspect that this is an issue from the steering angle sensor. I need to get it re-calibrated or replace it. I'm going to have the dealer look at it while I'm getting the airbag recall work done.

Boost Leak Issue

My car isn't holding boost past 7-9 psi. It's leaking somewhere or something is malfunctioning and I'm working to track it down.

See this post

- TMIC checks out fine

- Vacuum line under TMIC to BPV checks out fine

- Replaced the Forge BPV with the stock one and issue still persists

Based on some feedback I'll drop the DP this weekend check out if the wastegate on the turbo is operating fine. I'll also check out the stock boost controller and recheck the vacuum lines leading to and from it. This will come in handy, http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4643684&postcount=15

So I'm an idiot, and I fixed my major gripe that I've been having with my RCE coilovers. The rebound dampening was completely off and I couldn't drive over rough road without the ride being uncomfortable. I was seriously contemplating going back to stock. It's been a year since I installed them and it's only been now that I've gotten around to fixing it. Since it's my DD now, she gets all the attention :)

The issue turned out to be that I setup my rebound dampening backwards! I had rebound dampening setup soft up front and harder out back.

Old settings

- Springs: 400 lbs Front and 400 lbs Rear

- spec.B top hats Front and Rear

- Front Rebound: 5 clicks from full soft

- Rear Rebound: 7 clicks from full soft

- Front Height: 18 threads exposed below collar

- Rear Height: 14 threads exposed below collar

New settings

- Springs: 400 lbs Front and 400 lbs Rear

- spec.B top hats Front and Rear

- Front Rebound: 9 clicks from full soft

- Rear Rebound: 7 clicks from full soft

- Front Height: 18 threads exposed below collar

- Rear Height: 14 threads exposed below collar

I'll tweak it a few clicks more in the next few weeks.

So this came in today... I'll be replacing the rusting and crusty Cobb reinforcement brackets with these this weekend. I'll also finally get around to installing the Cobb Mufflers :wub: , replace the Cobb rear swaybar with a Whiteline unit, replace the Kartboy end links with some Moog units, and give it a nice interior detail.

Ohh yea, I'm going to do more work to find that boost leak :)

Thanks to Infamous Performance on the quick turn around on the parts order!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161108/64e30e9d3dac02a9672516157b53b796.jpg

So this came in today... I'll be replacing the rusting and crusty Cobb reinforcement brackets with these this weekend. I'll also finally get around to installing the Cobb Mufflers :wub: , replace the Cobb rear swaybar with a Whiteline unit, replace the Kartboy end links with some Moog units, and give it a nice interior detail.

Ohh yea, I'm going to do more work to find that boost leak :)

Thanks to Infamous Performance on the quick turn around on the parts order!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161108/64e30e9d3dac02a9672516157b53b796.jpg

Hit those bolts with pb blaster on the subframe (for the reinforcement brackets). Those can be tough!

Let us know how the old bolts come out. I'm sure I put anti-seize compound on them when I helped the PO install them years ago. I think we did sway bar bushings too, or was it just sway bar bushings...god that was a while ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived