LegacyGT.com

Time for a new short block

Right now (I've been on the fence) I'm thinking about going the VF52 route or the TD05H-16G

The hardest thing is I can't really find online how the two match up against one another.. not sure what both would get me on my HP ratings but I'm sure both still need a upgraded clutch.

I'm thinking if I at least go to a catted DP I wont have anymore boost creep issues?

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The two are really similar in potential. Note you cannot now just buy a 7.5cm2 exhaust housing for the TD05 like the VF-52 has. In 7cm2 the 16G spools a bit earlier than the VF-52 and does about the same airflow up top. In 8cm2 the 16G is a bit slower to respond than the VF-52 but holds up better at higher revs.

MHI parts grow on trees. IHI guts are much harder to come by.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

vf52, hands down. Have you been following mine, 92,000 miles zero shaft play.

Run's with stock oil feed lines, no banjo filters. Amsoil 5w-40 European Classic full SAPS and their EA15K13 filters, 7000 mile OCI. After a sample sent to Blackstone.

Contact Brian at www.tuningalliance.com and have him get you one, along with Mikes tune. Keep it simple.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The VF52 works with stock fueling? Haven't seen your post about zero shaft play but that's good news! i killed my last turbo under 500 miles because I still had a filter in behind the passenger head.. when I took it out it was funny clogged.

I didn't make a post about just it, it was in my exhaust leak thread from last week. which turned into a couple more threads while other things got taken care of before winter set's in.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I didn't make a post about just it, it was in my exhaust leak thread from last week. which turned into a couple more threads while other things got taken care of before winter set's in.
as much as I want too I might not do too much over the winter all I need is the brittle main wire harness breaking a wire internal due to it not flexing so well in the cold..

LOL sorry I wont be doing no work like last time with the wheel bearing in 24F

as much as I want too I might not do too much over the winter all I need is the brittle main wire harness breaking a wire internal due to it not flexing so well in the cold..

LOL sorry I wont be doing no work like last time with the wheel bearing in 24F

yep, I gave up for winter as well. I just finished up stuff on my DD and literally scrambling this week on Amsoil Oil change and 4 tires before the snow hits. Only thing I may do besides horde more parts is vinyl the interior pieces from inside the house.

yep, I gave up for winter as well. I just finished up stuff on my DD and literally scrambling this week on Amsoil Oil change and 4 tires before the snow hits. Only thing I may do besides horde more parts is vinyl the interior pieces from inside the house.

lol whenever I get my car back going I should be good on my tires I have yet to get 200 miles on :lol: They are eco conti's I'm not too sure how it's really going to be however.

lol whenever I get my car back going I should be good on my tires I have yet to get 200 miles on :lol: They are eco conti's I'm not too sure how it's really going to be however.

Legacy got new tires then blew the engine so those are fine too. Sad part is the tires are discontinued since it's been sitting that long. the color bars are still in the treads and everything.

Hey I was thinking about this last night it's best if I get a catted DP so I won't have to worry about boost creep right? Not sure how the VF52 stacks up with I guess a 16G that was on the car the very first time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the oil cooler in on Saturday i think it was a good deal it's clean I was doing a little reading and now I'm pretty sure I will go with the vf52 I understand it's not going to be a good combo with stock injectors but 750's should be ok for it? Stock will be ok for now until I can get it driveable

Nice you still have catless down pipe? I would only get catted just to kind of deepen the tone of the car and maybe a little less loud at idle since my girlfriend made a big issue about that. I would assume my numbers would kind of be around your numbers. Tbh it's been so long since I driven the car I forgot how much lag I had I think boost fully kicked in around 2500?

Nice you still have catless down pipe? I would only get catted just to kind of deepen the tone of the car and maybe a little less loud at idle since my girlfriend made a big issue about that. I would assume my numbers would kind of be around your numbers. Tbh it's been so long since I driven the car I forgot how much lag I had I think boost fully kicked in around 2500?

My latest rebuild - VF52/Grimspeed TMIC/Catted Downpipe/Catless Up-Pipe/DW65 Pump/EBC/Pro-Tune (18PSI) = 275AWHP/320AWTQ

And YES - that's on stock injectors.....:p - boost builds at 2,500 - but takes until 3,000 before full on 18PSI;)

Personally there's little difference in performance catted vs non - but pretty sure they look under the car for the cat during emissions testing:eek: - so it's price vs an emissions issue (ohh and a little bit of noise:p)....

Yea, get a catted dp, your exhaust tips will stay cleaner, my wagons blacken quickly. The Spec's stay clean, it has a catted dp.

Yeah here they do the look here but at least I will know I will be safe with a catted DP. I'm curious about the 3 port Boost controller it's better then stock? One of the things I wanted to do after all is done is clean up that mess of vacuum tubing under the manifold

Yeah here they do the look here but at least I will know I will be safe with a catted DP. I'm curious about the 3 port Boost controller it's better then stock? One of the things I wanted to do after all is done is clean up that mess of vacuum tubing under the manifold

I got one because it was on sale with the GS intake GB.

I had Mike Kinsman put one on my Spec B, been thinking about having him do it to my wagon lately.

The other day when it was in the mid 40F's I dropped into 4th and went WOT and the bucked once and threw the CEL. I shut off and restarted 4 times and it clears the CEL. Yesterday playing around with a Ferrari F12, well I was able to keep up for a little bit, I dropped into 4th and went WOT all was fine. Temp yesterday was close to 60F.

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered the turbo today the block will be going over to the shop next week I was thinking today.. a few pages back I showed the cylinder after I took the heads off it was full of fluid if it was water it would of rusted the cylinder wall? If it was fuel it would not? I think I'm going to send the injectors to be cleaned and tested just because and the amount of mileage I had.

What's the part number for the Wrx flywheel bolts I need to get?

Archived