LegacyGT.com

Time for a new short block

Lol this has been a test with my girlfriend I will tell you that.. I'm right now just doing minor things the torx screws stripped out on at least two injectors so I'm just going to get new ones I want to have the injectors cleaned and flow tested just because of mileage. I have a few unaccounted bolts but they seem to be motor to trans or a mount bolt.. I made sure I kept all the block half bolts on my spare motor but I replaced everything on that just to be on the safe side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol this has been a test with my girlfriend I will tell you that.. I'm right now just doing minor things the torx screws stripped out on at least two injectors so I'm just going to get new ones I want to have the injectors cleaned and flow tested just because of mileage. I have a few unaccounted bolts but they seem to be motor to trans or a mount bolt.. I made sure I kept all the block half bolts on my spare motor but I replaced everything on that just to be on the safe side

2 years after I got my engine back all the bolts were in 1 box. it was fun, the hardest for me at my stage of the build was the different length valve cover ones.

2 years after I got my engine back all the bolts were in 1 box. it was fun, the hardest for me at my stage of the build was the different length valve cover ones.

lol thats why i put each time I took something out in it's own little zip lock bag I would go nuts if it was all in one box.

I remember that part. Found a local nut and bolt shop that sold those. Just bot new bolts.

Once I get to the suspension, that's pretty much the only way to do it. None of those bolts will be of any use when I get them off the car. I did have 1 bolt that broke off in the old block I need to replace, not sure if it was needed tho. I'll figure that out when I get to that bridge.

lol thats why i put each time I took something out in it's own little zip lock bag I would go nuts if it was all in one box.

So far I just put them back where they came from. The heads are pretty much back together as if they were on the car minus the gears. The other stuff that was left is back on the old short block for now. Not going to take the plastic off the new one until i'm 100% committed to putting complete parts on it all at once.

The only way to do it if you ask me.

Yeah I learned that from earlier small projects. I was on a deployment when the engine was pulled and then the engine went missing for about 2 years. Any and every reason for me to stop and give up was thrown at me quite few times. Going though 3 DD's and a slew of rentals didn't help much either.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the stick torx screws out at least two rounded out so I just got all 4 new and a new motor stud since I remember bending it a little getting the motor out.. looks like not all injectors are the same? Some have the cap and some have more then 4 holes 8acb9a576963928b8750779eb9bcdb32.jpg8eb08196533646015d8142b5d22182e0.jpg

I will be replacing the fuel line that connects the two the fuel supply and return and the one on the drivers side rail that curves up since I don't need to find out I have a fuel leak from a hose with everything back on...

Went to the shop today to check up he must be busy only one guy runs and owns the shop he told me it should be done this Friday but he had no issues with the bearings I got so that's good news. Can't wait!

A 05 stock legacy clutch will not fit SMFW. However, stock WRX(05-06 model) will work. Not sure if it will hold the VF52 power though. Ensure compatibility before you buy, you also need a push style fork with your 05 Lgt transmission.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This , I think is what clutch kit will work with your LWSMFW. Doubble check please.

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/single-disc-clutches/exe-fjk1001-exedy-oem-replacement-clutch-kit

Your 5MT is a "Push" style fork (no changing fork is needed). When you push in your clutch peddle. The TOB is pushed into the pressure plate fingers to release clutch.

th?id=OIP.M1b396dc0cf0909f3b0a14ed02b1df988o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=238&h=180 Fork should be check for wear, because this could happen. th?id=OIP.Qq5_VnWDnL7wP1KzdN_OkwEsDh&pid=15.1&P=0&w=215&h=162

6MT is a "Pull" style fork. When you push in your clutch peddle. The TOB pulls the pressure plate fingers back, to release clutch.

th?id=OIP.RWjsj-fTTQgiuM2gBYoY6QEsDh&pid=15.1&P=0&w=235&h=177.

Hope that help explains the differences.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

yeah I know all about the push style I had to change the fork on my '95 legacy wagon I saw the hairline cracks starting to happen.

I seen enough and heard enough stories that I always inspect when I do clutch work.

the reason why I ask about the clutch since they were running a 16G on the stock DMFW and clutch I only had slippage when launching from 3K and 1-2 shift daily driving I never had no slip issues on normal non launch stuff

Somehow my Tactrix cable went missing.. I'm going to have to tear everything apart to find it.. I'm going to need at least some base map to at least be somewhat drivable. I'm wondering if I should replace the exhaust valves if after lapping they still leak a bit? The Subaru valves I think are like $50 or so each I wonder if standard GSC valves are ok?

Anyone know how to get a stuck bucket out? I'm using a magnetic tool and it still wont slide out but it will turn.. I've tried to put a little oil around the bucket to see if it helps but so far nothing.

If all else fails, put the head in the oven for a half hour. Just don't let your wife see it.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

You'll need a 2007-2009 Legacy GT flywheel and a Spec 2+ clutch to go with it. IMO I would not put a stock disc behind a vf52. That's the current set up in my wagon.

PM Underdog, and talk with him about getting this taken care of.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You'll need a 2007-2009 Legacy GT flywheel and a Spec 2+ clutch to go with it. IMO I would not put a stock disc behind a vf52. That's the current set up in my wagon.

PM Underdog, and talk with him about getting this taken care of.

Well if the VF52 is the same power level as the 16G that's what the car had on it before it went and the PO had on it.. It was ok until you did something like shift fast between 1-2 you could hear the slip.

Archived