LegacyGT.com

19mm rear sway bar install

Guest rayms69

That said, torque values found in the Factory Service Manuals have occasionally been wrong.

Ammcinnis, I’m guessing that is what happened seeing all three vehicles appear to be the same in that area. The rear clamp M8 flange head bolts appear to be class 8.8 (I can see 8 stamped on the head).

I also agree with all your other comments.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I put the 20mm on just now. I had a heck of a time getting it just right, but I can tell the big difference in ride quality. Cornering and even just driving seems so much smoother and flatter! I didn't go too hard since I wanted to get it broken in. I heard some weird noises though like it was settling in or something as I was driving, is this normal?

Don't think so. You greased the shit out of the bushings, right? No chance it's hitting the spare tire tub?

I was thinking bushings as well.

I love this thread...:lol:

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

You greased the shit out of the bushings, right?

You "grease" aftermarket urethane bushings. You do not lubricate Subaru rubber bushings!

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

What is the part number for the White line adjustable sway bar that will fit the 2017 Legacy?

Nevermind - it's BSR49XZ

Edit again - 22 mm adjustable is certainly not worth the extra dollars to me. I went with the 20mm bar from Subarupartsonline.com . Threw in a cargo net for free shipping.

Thanks for all the great info in this post!

Edited by PDREALTOR

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't want to create a new thread after searching I hope this is the appropriate place.

I am in the process of ordering the 22mm RSB from Cusco but a Subaru Tech advised to buy a brace as he sees a bunch of broken and warped mounting parts come into the shop on the older Legacy's.

I didn't want to go back and ask him but before I do so does anyone here know if this will fit our cars?

http://i.imgur.com/wuuG412.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aWw9nYK.jpg

I have only seen one site offering the 22mm swaybar and I myself was wondering if it would make a big impact or if the 19mm would be enough. I think it was Whitline that was selling the 22 and if i'm not mistaken it came with all new hardware (bushings, and mounts). Please keep us informed of any improvements you find.

I ... was wondering if ... the 19mm would be enough.

My opinion: Yes, unless you have a specific reason to go larger. The OE 16mm RSB is clearly "enough," and a 19mm bar is going to be twice as stiff as that. Bigger is not always better. (FWIW, I have a 19mm RSB installed in my Legacy.)

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

My opinion: Yes, unless you have a specific reason to go larger. The OE 16mm RSB is clearly "enough," and a 19mm bar is going to be twice as stiff as that. Bigger is not always better. (FWIW, I have a 19mm RSB installed in my Legacy.)
i have the 20mm RSB and it's a big improvement from stock and I haven't had any issues with it..

MrCobbs: If it is a part listed for a 2008+ WRX for the rear suspension, it should fit.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I didn't want to create a new thread after searching I hope this is the appropriate place.

I am in the process of ordering the 22mm RSB from Cusco but a Subaru Tech advised to buy a brace as he sees a bunch of broken and warped mounting parts come into the shop on the older Legacy's.

I didn't want to go back and ask him but before I do so does anyone here know if this will fit our cars?

http://i.imgur.com/wuuG412.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aWw9nYK.jpg

The Whiteline bar comes with braces already.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

The Whiteline bar comes with braces already.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Yeah I was looking at that set but I've seen people complain on here about it rusting up. Being here in the northeast I was trying to avoid that. I may used a protective paint or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the write up. This is going to be the first official mod to our 2017 Legacy after it's first oil change at 6k! I can't believe how much body roll they allowed this car to have. It's so bad my wife swears that her 2002 Ford Escape handled better and can't take turns as fast in the new Legacy.

My question for those who have already upgraded their rear sway bar to 19, 20 mm ones. Did you notice any difference in how the car feels over bumps, dips, etc. In other words, while we are stiffening things up with the rear sway bar, does this cause it to possibly ride a bit harder?

Thanks.

... while we are stiffening things up with the rear sway bar, does this cause it to possibly ride a bit harder?

Not objectionable, IMO, but noticeably stiffer/harsher on some road surfaces. (I have the 19mm RSB, which is twice as stiff as the stock 16mm RSB.)

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

Ride's just like factory with the OEM 20mm rear bar

Not objectionable, IMO, but noticeably stiffer/harsher on some road surfaces. (I have the 19mm RSB, which is twice as stiff as the stock 16mm RSB.)

I have the 19mm, and it seems to ride harsher over uneven road. It's hard to definitively say because I upgraded it two weeks after buying the car, so I forgot what oem rides like.

Thanks everyone! I figured it may ride a bit harsher since we are indeed stiffening the link between both rear wheels (from a suspension standpoint). I am assuming though that the improved handling from the reduction of body roll is worth it, regardless of any decrease in ride "quality".

Thanks everyone! I figured it may ride a bit harsher since we are indeed stiffening the link between both rear wheels (from a suspension standpoint). I am assuming though that the improved handling from the reduction of body roll is worth it, regardless of any decrease in ride "quality".

I definitely think so. I'm very happy with my 19mm, but I wish I would've gotten the 20mm. That's my only recommendation.

I definitely think so. I'm very happy with my 19mm, but I wish I would've gotten the 20mm. That's my only recommendation.

Much thanks! I definitely plan on going with the 20mm. Now if I could only convince the wife to let me do it sooner than later!! :-D

She is having some difficulties understanding the need to modify a brand new car. LOL. Is it so wrong to want to make it BETTER!?

She is having some difficulties understanding the need to modify a brand new car. LOL. Is it so wrong to want to make it BETTER!?

Not wrong ... but the stock 16mm RSB is perfectly adequate for most drivers, under most driving conditions. The Outback actually benefits more from a stiffer RSB than the Legacy, even though both share the same platform, due to the Outback's higher center of gravity.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png