LegacyGT.com

19mm rear sway bar install

Guest rayms69

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just have an independent mechanic do it for you (instead of the dealer, so no record of the upgraded bar) should you not want to do the work.

Or offer someone here some beer. That would probably work also...

I am not normally saying that aftermarket mods are safe for your warranty, but a slightly larger sway bar I doubt they will notice, and the only thing I think they could deny warranty work on if you install it would be the bar or endlinks. They are probably not going to attribute any other issue with the rear drivetrain to a larger sway bar.

Edited by upstater

My dealer installed the 20mm Swaybar.

It was a Subaru part and my service manager agreed with my assessment of need.

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

A lot of people are doing the rear anti sway bar.

I have to ask...do I need an alignment if I do it?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

In this thread last October I commented on the installation of a 20mm RSB on my 2017 Legacy Limited. I ordered it through my dealer and I had them install it. No questions. No concerns from the service manager. No problems.

If ever a problem would have arisen concerning warranty matters, it certainly would have when I ordered the part through the dealer from whom I bought the car, and/or when they installed it.

I have the tools and knowledge to do this myself, but I'm at a stage in my life when I'm now delegating some things to others.

I have no regrets having installed a 20mm RSB. Suspension design and geometry is inevitably a trade-off. If I wanted a marshmallow ride, I'd go find a 1962 Olds 98 (I owned one in the late 1960s). Now *that* was a marshmallow ride. Today's suspension technology is light years from back in the day. With my Soob and its 20mm RSB I perceive that I lost a bit gentler ride over some potholes while gaining a good measure of lateral stability in turns and corners. Well worth it.

I've swapped back to the 16mm bar from the 20mm as I'm selling the car. It certainly doesn't corner anywhere near as flat and you don't feel like pushing it how I did with the 20mm in.

I've also swapped back to the stock wheels/tyres and it's quite noticeable the difference between a 245/45R18 Bridgestone RE003 and the 225/50R18 stock Dunlops even though both are 18's.

In this thread last October I commented on the installation of a 20mm RSB on my 2017 Legacy Limited. I ordered it through my dealer and I had them install it. No questions. No concerns from the service manager. No problems.

If ever a problem would have arisen concerning warranty matters, it certainly would have when I ordered the part through the dealer from whom I bought the car, and/or when they installed it.

I have the tools and knowledge to do this myself, but I'm at a stage in my life when I'm now delegating some things to others.

I have no regrets having installed a 20mm RSB. Suspension design and geometry is inevitably a trade-off. If I wanted a marshmallow ride, I'd go find a 1962 Olds 98 (I owned one in the late 1960s). Now *that* was a marshmallow ride. Today's suspension technology is light years from back in the day. With my Soob and its 20mm RSB I perceive that I lost a bit gentler ride over some potholes while gaining a good measure of lateral stability in turns and corners. Well worth it.

Great info! Thanks.

Thanks. I am at the same point in my life, but I am still struggling with allowing others to do what I can do.

I am at the same point in my life, but I am still struggling with allowing others to do what I can do.

Me, too. I think there's a lot of that goin' around.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone.

I finally picked up the 20mm sway bar and bushings and opted to do the install myself this weekend.

What a difference! Why did the Legacy not come like this from the factory!?!!?! It should have!

Pretty much everyone's feedback was spot on. The handling is definitely more crisp with a significant reduction in body roll. It feels tons better on the twisties than it used to, especially my favorite, the freeway onramp or occasional off ramp. At highway speed it is not as easily affected by wind and uneven road surfaces.

We had some rain yesterday and in an effort to determine if we increased the possibility of oversteer with the sway bar upgrade, I really pushed it hard in some corners. It definitely still has that Subaru understeer and didn't oversteer at all, which gives me some piece of mine with the wife behind the wheel.

It definitely is a bit firmer over bumps in the rear suspension, but we prefer it over how it used to be 100%. Myself and my wife are very happy with the change!

The install went by pretty quick, I was done in about an hour or so total. I will say the passenger side is MUCH easier to do than the driver side due to the location of the Muffler, CV axle and swaybar bushing mount.

Thanks to everyone who provided advice, feedback and helped convince us to go through with the swaybar upgrade!

buy reinforcements for the mounting points. With the 20mm bar you will bend the stock mounting points if you use the twisty roads aggressively. I installed the AVD ones as you can see here:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm273/anhyeuemmaimai/legacy%201.jpg

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

buy reinforcements for the mounting points. With the 20mm bar you will bend the stock mounting points if you use the twisty roads aggressively. I installed the AVD ones as you can see here:

Yeu,

Is there a link for that? I can't seem to find it on google.

Does this replace the clamp that goes over the bushings or does this go over the clamp that goes over the bushings?

Also for everyone else who replaced their sway bar, did you guys add any grease or lubricant to the bolt (or joint?) that connects the endlinks to the sway bar?

Edited by tamtrum

it goes over the bushing clamp.

http://www.furiouscustoms.com/avo-rear-sway-bar-mount-reinforcement-08-impreza/

Do it with car on ground one side at a time with a jack supporting the rear differential career.

remove old nuts on bracket and discard

remove 17mm nut on body bushing and discard round plate

install bracket with 17mm bolt you removed hand tight

install new bolts with sleeves going between reinforcement and bushing bracket

torque to spec..30flbs I believe

tighten down 17mm nut

repeat other side

remove jack

they are marked RH and LH

you can do it without the jack but it makes it harder to install as the rear carrier will sag down on the side you are working on making it very hard to install the bushing bolts.

no grease as the Subaru 20mm bar came with new bushings... oh I would just buy new end links cause the old ones are going to be a giant pita to remove from the old bar.

edit: go straight to 20mm, do not stop at 19mm, it is more expensive and does not give the same results

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

I auto-x & track my car....aggressively...never bent any sway bar mounts or brackets...

I auto-x & track my car....aggressively...never bent any sway bar mounts or brackets...

Yep. Mods like that may stiffen and/or strengthen one piece of an assembly, but as a side effect they may just move the point of failure to the next weakest part. Well-engineered assemblies usually have reasonably uniform strength from end to end.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I've swapped back to the 16mm bar from the 20mm as I'm selling the car. It certainly doesn't corner anywhere near as flat and you don't feel like pushing it how I did with the 20mm in.

I've also swapped back to the stock wheels/tyres and it's quite noticeable the difference between a 245/45R18 Bridgestone RE003 and the 225/50R18 stock Dunlops even though both are 18's.

Are you getting a new Legacy or are you leaving us??

your choice... but read through the forums and there are a few who have... and I am not willing to take that risk....

Thanks for the advice on the mounts. Very good information to share on the forums. I think for now we are going to risk it with the stock mounts. My wife drives the Legacy mostly and if she is cornering hard enough with the 20mm bar to bend the mounts......I want to be able to be mad at her for not including me on such likely fun shenanigans! :lol:

That advice came from the Subaru Dealer, they said they have seen many a bent mounting bracket on older legacies/Imprezas that have that bar installed... I am pretty aggressive on the clover leafs due to serious lack of go power I take them at a higher speed so I can be up to speed when I merge..

Are you getting a new Legacy or are you leaving us??

Unfortunately no new Legacy :(

I did consider the Levorg and WRX but the wife was dead against a Levorg wagon and the WRX interior was a big step down from the Legacy with no Eyesight/adaptive cruise option either.

He bought a VW Scirocco R.

Correct. It's a totally different car and driving experience. Decided that we didn't need 2 family cars and we could live with one impractical/fun car and one family SUV.

The Scirocco handles like on rails from stock and goes like a cut snake with a tune (is a quick car even stock).

I'm not on here much these days - probably only until I sell the last few parts. I did enjoy my Legacy (Liberty) while I had it. I always wanted a gen4 but never got one so now I can tick the Legacy off my bucket list of cars to own :D

Edited by tigger73

I'm not on here much these days - probably only until I sell the last few parts. I did enjoy my Legacy (Liberty) while I had it. I always wanted a gen4 but never got one so now I can tick the Legacy off my bucket list of cars to own :D

Good luck mate ..... we look forward to seeing you again when you eventually return from "the dark side" ;)

**It has been awhile since I've commented on this thread. I had the 20mm sway bar installed. It helped somewhat. I'm just done with the POS at this point. If not a wheel bearing issue, which I had only 1 month after buying the car, to being told over and over that everything is fine.. While I'm basically unable to drive the car in a straight line, it became a safety issue. I had the car towed to the dealer and it turned out the rear diff was gone. Working with Subaru of America to have the car bought back. No matter what they say or do, the car isn't safe to drive. I have kids, it's not worth the risk. Just like Kenny Rogers said, "know when to fold em". Now it's time to see how much the dealership honors their good name.. I'm not walking away eating anything from this deal. Nothing.. Car is a 2015 Legacy 3.6 R w 21kmiles

**It has been awhile since I've commented on this thread. I had the 20mm sway bar installed. It helped somewhat. I'm just done with the POS at this point. If not a wheel bearing issue, which I had only 1 month after buying the car, to being told over and over that everything is fine.. While I'm basically unable to drive the car in a straight line, it became a safety issue. I had the car towed to the dealer and it turned out the rear diff was gone. Working with Subaru of America to have the car bought back. No matter what they say or do, the car isn't safe to drive. I have kids, it's not worth the risk. Just like Kenny Rogers said, "know when to fold em". Now it's time to see how much the dealership honors their good name.. I'm not walking away eating anything from this deal. Nothing.. Car is a 2015 Legacy 3.6 R w 21kmiles

Um, good luck having the dealer replace the car or issue a full refund to you (with 21k driven) because of a bad rear differential.

Let them replace the differential under the drivetrain warranty and then drive your car (maybe this fixes the problem?), or trade it in.

At best, try to get an independent mechanic to check if you think the service department took too long fixing the issue.

The only way I can see you getting a full refund is if the car was sold to you with a bent frame, or you got a Lemon Law replacement because they were unable to fix it despite many attempts and you documented everything.

But that ship sailed. Lemon Law replacement after 21k is unlikely.

Edited by upstater