LegacyGT.com

19mm rear sway bar install

Guest rayms69

Guest rayms69
it might take 20 minutes, start with the correct parts. stock bar is definitely wimpy looking. hopefully the end links will be ok for a bit. Gonna try to put it on now

rearswaybar2.thumb.jpg.4b0580847b1374a752de4d0789ee1a70.jpg

rearswaybar1.thumb.jpg.2ceb14bbbd9d24c06fd88c9aa73f574d.jpg

Edited by rayms69

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rayms69
done! no problem, hardest part was getting the sticker off the bar, raise up on the suspension to slide the bar out and in from behind drivers side rear tire. got pics, need to drive around the block

Guest rayms69
just wanted to make sure it was feeling good back there around my 35 mph block, driving to work next. Will definitely let you know. Gonna think about stronger end links next Edited by rayms69

Guest rayms69
end link pics and rear differential view and the y to the twin tailpipes. The first is on the end link on the drivers side, the second is pass side, sorry for not righting it.

rearswaybarendlink2.thumb.jpg.09e22fbe2d850b9f286d228e10cd95a0.jpg

rearswaybarendlinks.thumb.jpg.c181375f53aa9d188d877d894d096520.jpg

reardiff.thumb.jpg.09e3b025193166b1fcd247450812c880.jpg

Edited by rayms69

done! no problem, hardest part was getting the sticker off the bar, raise up on the suspension to slide the bar out and in from behind drivers side rear tire. got pics, need to drive around the block

Was the car on the ground? How did you "raise the suspension"?

Guest rayms69
i slid my big a$$ under, raised it manually about 3 inches just during removal and insertion of the bar into place. Lot of stuff up there, exhaust, cross member support, i got ramps but quicker do just do it, got a little dirty. If i use to ramps i would have stayed clean Edited by rayms69

I googled up the curb weights of the xv Crosstek and the 2015 STI vs the 2015 Legacy and it seems the STI is actually closer to the Legacy than the Crosstek. I think by way of my twisted logic, I may go with the STI version too. Strange though, that the lighter car gets a fatter RSB.

Curb weights:

xv crosstek 3087

STI 3386

Legacy 3537

Guest rayms69
Steady on the highway, I was starting to get seasick. 22mm bar next, with stutter end links, front and rear. Needed to right the ship before winter

Guest rayms69
The steering wanders alot, constantly having to correct it. Definitely changed that with the bigger bar.I can drive at ease now it was like the wind was always pushing the car around

Guest rayms69
Steel, do a 50 mile trip on at least a 65mph highway and you will notice. The bar is a snap and I think it rides like it should have in the first. Nothing worse in ice and snow than wandering steering. Even subaru advertises the bar to correct the sway at highway speeds.

I have to say that that is crap on the SOA's part. So, they knew the wondering issue and don't bother fixing it?!

Do you think the end-links are not strong enough for it?

Edited by vlonjati

Guest rayms69
The way I drive, they will be ok. Just think in the end links some more durable ones will be added rigidity. Really holds the corners well, definitely noticeably better handling. 22mm rear bar is a possibility in the spring Edited by rayms69

The way I drive, they will be ok. Just think in the springs some more durable ones will be added rigidity. Really holds the corners well, definitely noticeably better handling. 22mm rear bar is a possibility in the spring

I don t know, from what I ve researched too large of a rear sway bar will cause rear wheel lift on corners as the front bites too much. ???? Balance is important.

However I do agree that it wanders in the wind when traveling at higher speeds.

Edited by cerbomark

Guest rayms69
thats why i got the 19mm bar, not roadracing and didnt want it to ride to harsh. I have not checked the tire pressures and will do that tomorrow, thanks. I doubt thet was the problem because it rides perfectly now.

OK, just did a rode trip and anything over 70 MPH is bad with the car wandering all over.... my 14 Legacy doesn t do this.

rayms69/ so is it completely corrected? Just curious if there could be another issue like alignment/tire pressure(as stated above)?

I thought I was going to just ignore and live with the wandering but now I can t get it out of my mind and it is very annoying.

Thanks for any more ideas.

LOL, just got off the phone with dealer who said they have had no complaints about this and that it either wrong tire pressures or maybe something is loose.... I hate dealing with them, ugh.

edit; tire pressures are fine. alignment would be my next guess.

Edited by cerbomark

LOL, just got off the phone with dealer who said they have had no complaints about this and that it either wrong tire pressures or maybe something is loose.... I hate dealing with them, ugh.

edit; tire pressures are fine. alignment would be my next guess.

the steering is more sensitive than older subies - i noticed it more after reading all the swaybar talk. if you are in the center lane on a 3+lane highway, the car should stay straight without input from the steering wheel. if it drifts noticeably so that you have to correct it, then it's probably alignment. if it's alignment, it will drift in one direction only. get a good tire pressure gauge and make sure all the tires have the correct pressure before anything.