19mm rear sway bar install

Guest rayms69

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer Straight Bars.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Don’t forget the quick release end links to use the AWD to its fullest over extreme terrain. It’s makes traversing a crowded parking lot much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any difference between the 19mm and 20mm as far as ride quality goes?

I hear the bigger sway bar will impact car performance according to the forester forums.

you probably won't feel the difference that much between a 19 and 20mm sway bar, you will definetely feel a difference if you switch to either from the stock bar (I went to the 20mm)

The main difference you will feel is in your wallet, the 19mm is less common and more expensive than the 20mm, at least when I shopped.

Same, I went with the 20 mm. Love it on my car. Even a passenger noticed the difference when I was on an off ramp. Either one (19/20) would be a great upgrade from stock. I don't think anyone would notice any difference between the two.

I've had no issues with the 20 mm, its the same as stock during regular driving.

you probably won't feel the difference that much between a 19 and 20mm sway bar, you will definetely feel a difference if you switch to either from the stock bar (I went to the 20mm)

The main difference you will feel is in your wallet, the 19mm is less common and more expensive than the 20mm, at least when I shopped.

I see, the 20mm seems cheaper, the 19mm according to most forums is the one that is sold the most, hence the higher price, makes no sense if you ask me.

Thanks for the input I might go with the 20mm, I live in Reno, we don’t get many snow days some years. The roads are pretty decent year.

I feel the rear wheels swaying on long curved ramps on the highway, hopefully either one will help against swaying and body roll in general. I will be upgrading my stock eagle ls2 tires to the conti dws06.

Any difference between the 19mm and 20mm as far as ride quality goes?

The 19mm RSB is twice as stiff in torsion as the stock 16mm bar; the 20mm bar is 2.44 times as stiff as stock. Both will perceptibly degrade ride quality over irregular road surfaces, since they affect the effective rear spring rates; how perceptible is a matter of individual sensitivity. Those who claim a dramatic improvement in handling with absolutely no effect on ride quality are fooling themselves. The Butt Dyno is notoriously optimistic. (The people who study such things call it Cognitive Dissonance.)

"The easiest person in the world to fool is yourself." ~ Richard Feynman

FWIW, I have a 19mm RSB installed on my 2015 Legacy.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

^ have notice absolutely ZERO difference in how the car rides in day to day driving...other than significantly less leaning in the corners. if there is any downside I have not seen it yet... and I went from 16mm straight to 20mm.. if anything it makes the car more responsive in emergency maneuvers. IE that car goes EXACTLY WHERE YOU POINT IT.

The 19mm RSB is twice as stiff in torsion as the stock 16mm bar; the 20mm bar is 2.44 times as stiff as stock. Both will perceptibly degrade ride quality over irregular road surfaces, since they increase the effective rear spring rate; how much is a matter of individual sensitivity. Those who claim a dramatic improvement in handling with absolutely no effect on ride quality are fooling themselves. The Butt Dyno is notoriously optimistic.

"The easiest person in the world to fool is yourself." ~ Richard Feynman

This is true. As you mentioned, individual sensitivity certainly causes a variation in perceived ride quality changes....but the facts / specs of the RSBs and how they affect handling are concrete.

Personally speaking, I installed the 20mm Subaru RSB on our 2017 Legacy about 13k miles ago and I can confirm that the handling dynamics were changed as anticipated/expected with this RSB. IMO this is an improvement over stock as there is less body roll and a more responsive feeling over the stock RSB.

While there is certainly a noticeable difference in the ride quality of the rear suspension, in my opinion it is not major. I would not say that it is rough or uncomfortable at all, just not as cushy and soft as it was previously......which of course was TOO cushy and soft.

Lastly, I will say that there is also an increase with ability/potential for oversteer with the 20mm RSB. I have been able to initiate a few fun "skids" where I don't think I would have been able to do with the stock RSB. I don't think the potential for oversteer is alarming by any means, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

• 2 weeks later...
I attempted to do the 20mm RSB swap today but even with ample penetrating oil the top bolts that connect the endlink to the bar wouldn’t come off due to the rust on the threads. I am planning on ordering the kart boy endlinks but it doesn’t look like they include that top bolt so does anyone know where I can buy a replacement nut/bolt with the 5mm Allen on the end or does everyone replace it with something else?

I am looking to puchase the 20mm. Where did you guys buys yours? Who has it the cheapest?
Search "20mm" on this thread!.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Search "20mm" on this thread!.

Are any of your posts ever helpful to anyone? The thread is 4 years old now I was asking for recent pricing where people found the best deal. Next time rather than wasting your time with a response like this just save the headache and don't post it. Thanks.

Yesssssssss Mom!

Google???????

Yahoo????

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink!

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I am looking to puchase the 20mm. Where did you guys buys yours? Who has it the cheapest?

I got mine from quirk parts via eBay for 88.95 shipped which seemed good but I don’t know if it’s the cheapest.

Are any of your posts ever helpful to anyone? The thread is 4 years old now I was asking for recent pricing where people found the best deal. Next time rather than wasting your time with a response like this just save the headache and don't post it. Thanks.

If you want the cheapest price you can get, go to NASIOC and post in the WTB section. I'm sure you will eventually get your "cheapest" deal.

In his response, he was trying to get you to help yourself.

I did a quick e-bay search, but you can search for yourself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-EJ257-OEM-20MM-REAR-SWAY-BAR-ASSEMBLY-2397/282872516354?hash=item41dc840f02:g:f6gAAOSwKEZanf5x&vxp=mtr

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• 2 weeks later...
Ordered it from eBay last night for $89 shipped including the bushings for the OEM sway bar. Completely brand new. Car-part.com lists a few for under $50 used but with the shipping to me would be the same as getting it new. Might work out cheaper if someone is close to one of those salvage yards.

OK, I've had it. Ordered a 20mm RSB today. Went up north, average 75-85mph(limit 70, big deal), a bit windy too, whatever, the car was a handful, real squirley, could'a swapped ends if I wasn't REALLY careful, That's unsat. didn't they ever drive the car fast?? My first attempt at fixing what is obviously wrong. I'll Post results.

R/Mac