LegacyGT.com

19mm rear sway bar install

Guest rayms69

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think subaruonlineparts.com is the best source. I'll be buying mine from them if/when I do the upgrade.

http://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-outback-rear-20mm-sway-p-3969.html

Edit: I take that back, it appears to be out of stock with no ETA in sight. Apparently too many people like this mod lol. The 19mm is available atm though it's slightly more expensive.

http://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-legacy-rear-19mm-sway-p-3892.html

Edited by andrew_l_s

Can anyone recommend the best/price efficient place to order the 20mm sway bar front and back? Much appreciation!

I ordered it from quirkparts for like $80 bucks with bushings.

Sidenote: I asked the dealer to do it, but they said they wouldn't because I didn't have the brackets. I thought the stock brackets would cover the new bushings? Is it just those little brackets over the bushing or endlinks too?

Just did some quick research, and it looks like the 19mm bar is stock on a 2014 impreza wrx for example. The 2015 legacy 2.5i premium (and 2015 legacy 3.6R) and the 2014 impreza wrx use the same rear sway bar bushing brackets.

So I can understand why Subaru might have thought the bars might use different brackets, but the bracket part numbers are the same.

rear_sway_bar.bushing.bracket.jpg.5e04d21c73d85fa32bafea41864c5737.jpg

Edited by apexi
updated to include 2015 legacy 3.6R in part number comparison

• 1 year later...
Installed the Whiteline swaybar, medium setting. Getting a clunk from the rear. Re-torqued the bolts and centered the sway bar (was way over the driver side by 1.5"). Can't be sure but I think it did not make the noise before I centered it, at least I didn't notice it.

Now it is pretty noticable when I turn a corner and go over a bump or when accelerating/braking hard. I am semi decent garage mechanic so I don't think I installed anything incorrectly but as always, it's possible something is incorrect. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

If I can't get this resolved I'll probably either install Kartboy endlinks or go to a regular 19mm swaybar.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just wanted to post some pics to make sure I centered the sway bar right. Passenger side looks to to be slightly over to the left too much since the bushing is slightly further away from the metal ring (left picture). Everything feels fine though and no clunking, etc. Should I be worried or am I just OCD haha.

IMG_8152.thumb.jpg.71f109b2963e75c2d50dc85f7be36137.jpg

IMG_8154.thumb.jpg.7568b275c7f6d1ddb9eaf46ad5a6bef0.jpg

I think you're a millimeter or two off to the side. I'd remove and reinstall.....

Loosen clamps/bolts. Knock it across with a hammer/brick/head/solid object. Tighten clamps. Job done.

This sounds like an easy way to fix it. Which direction should I hammer it towards? You think the bar is too far over towards the driver side?

• 2 weeks later...
The diameter of the Whiteline bar causes it to rub on the spare tire well. This is not a problem until upsizing to the 22mm bar. 5th Gens had this problem too but only with the Whiteline 24mm bar.

I had a shop install the 22mm Whiteline for me today. Chatted with the boss for a while, turned back and the bar was already installed hump up. Went for a test drive for the heck of it. Yup, it bumped. Reinstalled it hump down. Sorted.

There are enough review of fat rear sway bars here that I don't have much to add other than gleeful satisfaction. But I don't recall anyone talking much about how it affects urban driving, so let me do that.

I drive almost exclusively in the city. Every single trip involves multiple speed bumps. As if that's not bad enough, my office carpark and the ramp entering my kids' school both force me to cross them at an angle. Pre-22mm-bar, those maneuvers left my 2.5 rocking left and right, even at low speeds. So I gritted my teeth for harshness with the new sway bar and, guess what, I simply stopped rocking sideways - without any added harshness or discomfort.

I guess I'm saying that it's been pure improvement for me with no downsides yet, and that it passes my main worry - a zillion speed bumps - with flying colours.

So, thanks for the reviews and recommendations, everyone. I'm glad I went for the 22mm. Let's see if I still say that after I push the car a bit.

@redvenetian on Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 2017 Legacy Limited 2.5 a month ago. I live 125 miles from Van Bortel Subaru in Victor, NY, and I drove home on 9/7 on mostly Interstate highways. A wandering motion was evident at highway speeds from the beginning. From my own experience I figured it was a suspension problem. I found this forum, and my suspicion deepened. Monday i had the dealer order a 20mm sway bar (stock on WRX), and they installed it today. I could have done this myself but I'm getting to be an old guy now and paying the dealer for the requisite half hour of installation time was worth it to me.

We just arrived home a bit ago. What a difference. I was told that I was the first Legacy owner in recent times to swap out the rear sway bar, and their technician who drove it before returning it to me remarked on the substantial difference comparing stock to 20mm. Dealership staff have done this to their personal vehicles, but it seems I was the first customer.

I kept the old one and whenever I trade this car it will go with it. Until then I've solved the wandering issue, maybe ninety percent or more.

Yesterday I drove the car on a back country State road, with a hill that dropped off into a bridge spanning a ravine. That transition would not exist this way if the road had been designed in the past twenty years. My guess is that there is lots of older designed infrastructure in rural areas of New York State, and they won't be fixed any time soon. When I drove over the hill and down onto the bridge that spanned the ravine, the car experienced what I regard as compromised rear stability and the front end moved quickly back and forth maybe three times. I knew enough to hold center and not correct (so as to avoid over-correcting). I'll be on that road again next week, and we'll see how it goes. But I think a 20mm sway bar is a real game-changer.

Thank you sincerely to all who've weighed in on this. I'm brand new to this forum, and I am so thankful for the thoughtful contributions that allowed me to improve this fine car in a genuinely meaningful way.

rhombus

Edited by rhombus
Add sentence for clarity

It's great to have you rhombus. This forum is exactly that, a forum. A place for many minds to share their experiences for the greater good of all owners. We all bring something different to the table on hopes for achieving a better end result. I'm very thankful to have found this website.

Getting a little less deep, right now I'm between the 20mm STI bar and the 22mm white line bar. The 20mm is only 90 bucks at my dealer, and the 22mm is like 220 and God knows how much the shipping is..

For those who own the 20mm, do you find yourself longing for a stronger solution, or are you content with your upgrade?

For those who own the 22mm, do you feel it's 150% better than the 20mm, to justify the 150% price increase?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Not a bit. As most of you know I drive spiritedly on winding rolling hills country roads and I put the 3.6R through the paces. The Legacy not a GT or STI it is a Cruiser. Since it not Pocket Rocket or a sport car I feel it is a nice compliment to the vehicle. Will the 22 mm work Hell yeah but I do not use my Cruiser in that matter, taking 90 degree turns at 70 mph just winding S turn at 50 to 60 mph. Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

It's great to have you rhombus. This forum is exactly that, a forum. A place for many minds to share their experiences for the greater good of all owners. We all bring something different to the table on hopes for achieving a better end result. I'm very thankful to have found this website.

Getting a little less deep, right now I'm between the 20mm STI bar and the 22mm white line bar. The 20mm is only 90 bucks at my dealer, and the 22mm is like 220 and God knows how much the shipping is..

For those who own the 20mm, do you find yourself longing for a stronger solution, or are you content with your upgrade?

For those who own the 22mm, do you feel it's 150% better than the 20mm, to justify the 150% price increase?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I have the 24mm bar, I freaking love it. Tightened her up like crazy.:spin::spin::spin::spin: