LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

What is it? Is it a JDM part for the LGT?

Honestly, it's a factory part. You'll waste your time scanning and 3D printing it. The factory part will be better, stronger, and be within spec.

EDIT: Buy one if this is the right part: http://parts.subaru.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=49311283&ukey_assembly=6022950&ukey_make=5806&ukey_model=0&ukey_driveline=0&ukey_trimlevel=0&modelYear=0

That's the factory part (I already bought an extra from Subaru) but I want to modify it to fit my display.

http://zeitronix.com/images/HackerTweaker/HackerTweaker_dimentions_850x.gif

I was originally going to just cut a hole in the bottom and stick it in but I'm worried about crap accumulating at the bottom of the recessed part.

I'd like the final product to look something like this.

I actually ended up talking with a colleague that does some 3D printing at lunch today. He suggested to just cut off the recess and 3D print just the inner part. He said I could measure it with a caliper and just print it to "clip in" rather than trying to scan and reproduce the whole part.

712788895_Finalproduct.thumb.jpg.5bf02f34377377929d4ffe905cdb1375.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually ended up talking with a colleague that does some 3D printing at lunch today. He suggested to just cut off the recess and 3D print just the inner part. He said I could measure it with a caliper and just print it to "clip in" rather than trying to scan and reproduce the whole part.

I was about to suggest that. should still look clean, be a hell of a lot cheaper, quicker to design and have the option of taking i out and swapping to different pieces should the want arise (because we all know this in not a "need")

I was about to suggest that. should still look clean, be a hell of a lot cheaper, quicker to design and have the option of taking i out and swapping to different pieces should the want arise (because we all know this in not a "need")

The other thing he talked about was printing in nylon rather than PLA or ABS.

That would be awesome. Where in DE are you?

I was planning to go buy a dremel to do it and then hand sand it. Honestly I need to buy a dremel either way.

I'm in Wilmington. I have a Dremel as well. They have their uses, but for most anything a 4-1/2" angle grinder is the better choice :)

Received my DRS (dash Rattle Stopper) used one on the drivers side of dash about 5 inches from the corner of the windshield. Perfect! the first v2 DRS I tried to install split into 2 and fell apart. the second one slid right into position no issues, still have 3 more to use if the right side begins to rattle.

With just 1 installed I have zero rattle! perfect repair, and 3 extra should I need them. Also my buddies STi that has a slight dash rattle that im going to see if these will do the trick.

Edited by quick4dr

Received my DRS (dash Rattle Stopper) used one on the drivers side of dash about 5 inches from the corner of the windshield. Perfect! the first v2 DRS I tried to install split into 2 and fell apart. the second one slid right into position no issues, still have 3 more to use if the right side begins to rattle.

Sorry that one split. One of the reasons I include 5 in the kits. Hopefully the rattle will be gone for you!

Jon- I know we have mentioned to you about a double din- have you seen this??

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/seattle-wa-radio-conversion-dual-hvac-pcb-relocation-238734.html

I had not. I'll look more into it when I get home. Thats a pretty slick custom job. The main issue with 3D printing a faceplate is going to be surface finish. I'm not in my car but i feel like there is a slight curvature to the faceplate (convex, left to right). IF this is the case, there is really no way that I can print one and get a good finish. If it's flat / nearly flat, and I can render it flat, then I can get a great finish on my glass bed. I'll look when I get in the car.

eh, as long as people understand it's not going to be perfect, I think it'd be fine to make it in black and use grey sandable primer to build up the face, sand, then do a topcoat of some sort of silver. or alternatively a little glazing of bondo and then some sanding/topcoat.

again, I think the hardest part is the cutting of the ECB and the relocation of the "stock radio". at least for a normal person. I've done it, but it's not the simplest thing by any means. I guess that's up to the buyer to understand what they're getting into.

I do like the idea of a single din and a few gauges. makes me wonder if there's room...

also, I've got a PDF of what needs to be done to cut a radio/hvac in two and then put it back together so it "works". someone want to host it? or maybe I can attach it here....

also, as discussed before, might be easiest to make a panel that you need to attach to your existing radio face, rather than redoing the entire panel. then just have the buyer cut a specific hole in the middle, glue in the new panel, and then smooth over the interface and the new face of the "radio". i'm starting to think it'd just be easier to NOT 3d print anything...

Edited by Flinkly
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

BTW, I've got a p-203uh sitting here with a split ECB just waiting to become a single/double din. can even measure it up and use it to make any sort of 3d printed parts "we'd" like. I lost interest in it cause the stock radio didn't have AUX in. was going to relocate the radio display into the clock location and the CD insert to the glove box, then stick gauges or an 8" tablet in the radio position.

don't really have loads of time at the moment though. milestone coming up at work and a baby on the way...

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

I had not. I'll look more into it when I get home. Thats a pretty slick custom job. The main issue with 3D printing a faceplate is going to be surface finish. I'm not in my car but i feel like there is a slight curvature to the faceplate (convex, left to right). IF this is the case, there is really no way that I can print one and get a good finish. If it's flat / nearly flat, and I can render it flat, then I can get a great finish on my glass bed. I'll look when I get in the car.

You are correct on the curvature. I ended up flattening mine out somewhat for that single din build in the link.

If you are interested in printing the face for a possible kit, I can provide measurements of what I have. Let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something simple:

How about an intercooler/radiator fin comb that actually works. I'm thinking something that fits in between the fins (fin density obviously important) from one side and pushes through to straighten. Make sense?

I have a vision in my head but I'm pretty poor with the design programs these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Here's something simple:

How about an intercooler/radiator fin comb that actually works. I'm thinking something that fits in between the fins (fin density obviously important) from one side and pushes through to straighten. Make sense?

I have a vision in my head but I'm pretty poor with the design programs these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a drawing would help? Since you mention radiator I'm thinking you are talking about a front mount?

Doesn't sound like an application for 3D printing but please give more info.

Is there anyway to make a dual vent pod like this for a lot cheep then $125

Probably not much cheaper. Those are great quality and hand made. I have been tinkering with a single vent gauge pod there. Double would be difficult to print and the quality wouldn't be near as good.

Is there anyway to make a dual vent pod like this for a lot cheep then $125

You would have to do it yourself probably. Print out some individual gauge cups and then fiberglass them together onto the vent.

Now I kind of like that idea the more I read it. I might try it.

You would have to do it yourself probably. Print out some individual gauge cups and then fiberglass them together onto the vent.

Now I kind of like that idea the more I read it. I might try it.

I haven't done any work with fiberglass but its worth a try. I think dual vent pods is the cleanest set up and its in a practical spot