LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might need to tilt the pods up... they seem to be aimed at the driver's chest.

Maybe set them back a bit... like more towards the windshield to allow a bigger vent opening?

Yep already doing that :) Just threw them on there on the plane that they are in to see how it would look. It's not the greatest angle that I am showing either I guess. I just wanted to get a decent picture of the orientation. The very front of the pods only come to about the middle of the vent. Plus i will still "carve" out some of the pedestal that they are on to allow more air through. Just haven't got that far yet. Busy time of year at work so don't have a ton of time.

I'll make up a few designs with all different pods. If everything works out how I want it to, I can make the design with the pod location wherever you want then just re-save it as a different file. Not sure if I'll be able to print a bunch of these so discojon might have to print it. Won't know for sure until I get to that point though.

Are you able to print in ABS? That's what this one is printed in, what most of our models are printed in, and we don't have really any issue with warping and whatnot. Plus they are really easy to clean up and whatnot.

I can print in any material (that I am aware of) that is available. Abs may be the winner. Once the design is done I'll print a few test pieces and ask for some folks to test them. Please don't pm me asking to test yet.

Once this is finalized, would you be willing to share the file so I can print one ?

Once this is finalized, would you be willing to share the file so I can print one ?

As far as I'm concerned Streetlegal will be the owner of the design since he did all the work. What he chooses to do with it is up to him. I will gladly make these available for the community however.

As far as I'm concerned Streetlegal will be the owner of the design since he did all the work. What he chooses to do with it is up to him. I will gladly make these available for the community however.

Good deal. I'd consider buying the file for a fraction of the cost printed if he decides not to just give it out. :)

Reading this thread makes me wish I had any clue what I was doing modeling these things. I have access to a 3d printer at work but seriously lack the skill to develop anything. Thought about taking a shot at a gauge pod mount for the center console but I wouldn't even know where to start.

Reading this thread makes me wish I had any clue what I was doing modeling these things. I have access to a 3d printer at work but seriously lack the skill to develop anything. Thought about taking a shot at a gauge pod mount for the center console but I wouldn't even know where to start.

I'm not the best at design either. I learned by doing. Get a free copy of sketchup and go to town. Get a set of calipers from Harbor Freight, take measurements, then iterate until it's right.

Good deal. I'd consider buying the file for a fraction of the cost printed if he decides not to just give it out. :)

I don't really have an issue giving my file to people in the community. The only issue I have is when people then take that file and try to sell it as their own (unfortunately have had that happen). I figured if I just provided it on here then anyone with access to a 3D printer could have access to it :)

I'm not the best at design either. I learned by doing. Get a free copy of sketchup and go to town. Get a set of calipers from Harbor Freight, take measurements, then iterate until it's right.

I'm sure you can find a copy of Solidworks somewhere also. That is what I learned on and it is quite easy to learn on. I think I have one of my Solidworks books from school I could let you borrow if you end up getting that. Currently I use CATIA which now that I am more used to, is pretty sweet. It was difficult to switch because all of the hotkeys and button combinations were different.

As far as the gauge pod goes for the center console, where were you thinking? I was considering putting one where the ash tray is.

I have gotten a little farther on the vent pod though. I want to make a few more changes before I put up new pictures :) It looks pretty sweet not gonna lie. Just need to finalize the orientation of how the pods are pointed.

I'm going to look into sketchup and see if I can find an old edition of solidworks. My Dad actually does a ton of design in solid works so maybe if I just gave him some measurements he might mock something up for me when he's bored ha ha.

And for the center gauges, something like this:

http://www.subtle-solutions.com/images/LEGACY%20-%20GAUGE%20BEZEL%20-%20BLACK.JPG

For this area:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/DLtIk1G-R7g/maxresdefault.jpg

I thought about the ash tray to keep oil pressure/temp as I wouldn't have to look at it constantly, but would still probably catch my eye if it dropped or spiked. Still a little worried about looking down so low though ha ha.

I'm going to look into sketchup and see if I can find an old edition of solidworks. My Dad actually does a ton of design in solid works so maybe if I just gave him some measurements he might mock something up for me when he's bored ha ha.

And for the center gauges, something like this:

http://www.subtle-solutions.com/images/LEGACY%20-%20GAUGE%20BEZEL%20-%20BLACK.JPG

For this area:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/DLtIk1G-R7g/maxresdefault.jpg

I thought about the ash tray to keep oil pressure/temp as I wouldn't have to look at it constantly, but would still probably catch my eye if it dropped or spiked. Still a little worried about looking down so low though ha ha.

I have a solidworks file for the center cubby gauge pod that allows you to close the lid. PM me your email and I'll send it over.

Edited by BoyceWare

I have a solidworks file for the center cubby gauge pod that allows you to close the lid. PM me your email and I'll send it over.

Yeah, depending on the guage, i've got one that i made and use also. STL, IGES, whatever you'd like. Door closes here too.

If you do roll your own, pivoting the guages towards the driver i've found pointless. Its not like they're hard to see at all pointing straight out the cubby, IMO.

Sent from my XT1028

Edited by Flinkly
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Just to update on my CNC Router...

I have in hand basically everything I need to get power to the VFD and Spindle. Will be running the 220v and 110v lines this fri/sat. I have figured out, (i think), the relays and PWM control for the spindle from mach 3. If all goes well, By the end of the weekend all that should be left is to mount the spoil board and get my end mills in. I have already been doing some preliminary design work. With the CAD software I'm using i can take a 3D model and cut it from a solid block of material. Keep in mind it's only a 3 axis machine for now so I can't get too fancy. I'll start working on skid plates again once everything is running.

So i bought a 2 gauge and garmin post gauge pod about a week ago, i bought a case for my galaxy s5 to attach it to the garmin post and ran btssm on my phone. The setup was great. I was making my way down a bumpy dirt road today when the garmin post decided to break where the ball meets the post. I went home and drilled through the head of the ball and have a screw going through to the post, it isnt pretty but it seems to work. Just for future prints of this you may want to design it so the screw holding the post to the gauge pod goes nearly all the way through the post to the tip of it to add some rigidity. Ill add some pics of where it broke.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/19/12139889108b65ae86723796c19b9852.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/19/88fe23fd944b917b993790204de094e7.jpg

So i bought a 2 gauge and garmin post gauge pod about a week ago, i bought a case for my galaxy s5 to attach it to the garmin post and ran btssm on my phone. The setup was great. I was making my way down a bumpy dirt road today when the garmin post decided to break where the ball meets the post. I went home and drilled through the head of the ball and have a screw going through to the post, it isnt pretty but it seems to work. Just for future prints of this you may want to design it so the screw holding the post to the gauge pod goes nearly all the way through the post to the tip of it to add some rigidity. Ill add some pics of where it broke.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/19/12139889108b65ae86723796c19b9852.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/19/88fe23fd944b917b993790204de094e7.jpg

The phone is a bit heavy for it honestly. I can add the longer bolt hole if you want I'll print you a replacement and get it sent out. Pm me your address please.

Not subaru related, but have a question for the guys with scanners and printers.

I have some 35 year old plastic side marker lights(housing and lenses)

If I sent you the part, would you be able to produce a new set of them for me, and how much?

If it all goes well, I might have a group of people interested in these also as there are currently only OEM units available, and they are all used, old and brittle.

Thanks

Andrew

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not subaru related, but have a question for the guys with scanners and printers.

I have some 35 year old plastic side marker lights(housing and lenses)

If I sent you the part, would you be able to produce a new set of them for me, and how much?

If it all goes well, I might have a group of people interested in these also as there are currently only OEM units available, and they are all used, old and brittle.

Thanks

Andrew

It's probably doable. Not the best solution but I think I could print it. The issue would be the opacity. You'd have to use something like t-glass filament to allow enough light to pass through, but then you'd run into weathering issues. Post some photos and we can see what we can do.

No, the lens isn't really the issue. I actually need the housings. They're rotting and crumbling.

Sounds like a Triumph GT6 light housing. No new parts, only 30+ year old ones that are ancient and broken.

Sent from my XT1028

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *