LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using CATIA. I can save as: catia file obviously, .stl, .igs, .model, .3dxml, .cgr, .hcg, .wrl, and .stp :lol:

Which works best? You want me to just simplify the model to just have the mounting holes and the basic geometry of the hole?

mspaint.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/59449267.jpg

:lol:

Just the basics would probably be best. stl file should be fine.

Sounds good. I'll simplify it up. Once I have it done I'll let you know.

Edited by Streetlegal

Hey, i just stumbled on this page. It's awesome.

I had an idea. How about an insert that replaces the ash tray with an arm that can hold a phone?

it would be really nice if you could take it out, so when you are not using it the door still closed.

• 2 weeks later...
So, I was looking at the si switch a little more closely and don't see a great way to mount a cage on top of it. It looks like you would have to recreate the entire structure and take the switch apart in order to retain the mounting points that it uses. I could easily create a cage that sits on top but it would require some other mounting. Double sided tape in a recessed portion of the cage? Any ideas?

So, I was looking at the si switch a little more closely and don't see a great way to mount a cage on top of it. It looks like you would have to recreate the entire structure and take the switch apart in order to retain the mounting points that it uses. I could easily create a cage that sits on top but it would require some other mounting. Double sided tape in a recessed portion of the cage? Any ideas?

What I'm doing with the switch panel is just recreating the switch into it but making it considerably smaller so that there is room for the switches around it.

What I'm doing with the switch panel is just recreating the switch into it but making it considerably smaller so that there is room for the switches around it.

Ah, you're transferring the circuits on the bottom huh?

I know it's not sexy, but what about replacement backcaps for the foglights, with instead of the pass-threw, a whole for a grommet, so when you install HID fogs, you can get your wires out.

I know it's not sexy, but what about replacement backcaps for the foglights, with instead of the pass-threw, a whole for a grommet, so when you install HID fogs, you can get your wires out.

Can't you just drill a hole in the cover and put a grommet in it? That's what I did for my headlights.

I think I have the vent model finalized so I stared messing around with some pod designs. Figured I'd throw a few up on here :) This is a offset twin 52mm gauge setup. The pad on the bottom connects right to the top of the vent. I just have it hidden to make it easier to work with right now. I do not have the bottom pad cut out as it will be to maintain a majority of the flow area of the defroster. Once I finalize the pod design it will be made modular so that I can add as many pods where ever I would like :) Shouldn't be too hard to mirror and make one for those LHD guys either.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/Pods1_zpsn2v9xkwf.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/Pods2_zpsxhpbxe9l.jpg

• I Donated
I think I have the vent model finalized so I stared messing around with some pod designs. Figured I'd throw a few up on here :) This is a offset twin 52mm gauge setup. The pad on the bottom connects right to the top of the vent. I just have it hidden to make it easier to work with right now. I do not have the bottom pad cut out as it will be to maintain a majority of the flow area of the defroster. Once I finalize the pod design it will be made modular so that I can add as many pods where ever I would like :) Shouldn't be too hard to mirror and make one for those LHD guys either.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/Pods1_zpsn2v9xkwf.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/Pods2_zpsxhpbxe9l.jpg

There's already a guy who makes these, block8head on facebook. they're quite well built.

There's already a guy who makes these, block8head on facebook. they're quite well built.

I know he makes them and they do look nice. These will be set up a little different. Plus it will give people more options this way too since I can change and put whatever I want onto the vent and print it.

How about a vent based COBB v3 holder

That wouldn't be hard to do. I just don't have a v3 to model it from.

When I finish any models I'll be sending them to discojon for him to print and whatnot. Seeing as I offered to help him I don't want to basically take this from him. I'm not sure if I am saying that the right way but basically I don't want to be a dick that's all :lol:

Mine also doesn't sit in the same location as block8head's pods. His are off to the right of the pod built up. Mine sit like this for now. Might change the angle of them some more once I have the actual pod finalized. Need to add some channels in to make sure the air gets directed properly and also to separate the air channels from the wire channels that I will be incorporating.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/Pods3_zpso1yggi5v.jpg