LegacyGT.com

New Short Block Time...

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good. There are many thought's to breaking in a engine.

I just drove on the backroads and kept the rpm's changing. Left the boost set at 21psi. Didn't give it much WOT at anyone time, just short burst without much load, like going down hill.

Do the oil and filter changes and get it properly tuned after 500 miles. I had my Tuner ride along and street tune after the 500 mile oil change. That was the first time the engine had been on the highway.

My big worry was the first start of the engine. As it turned out, I had the key turned to On and few times before the first start. When I finally started it, I did it just like I do every morning and it started just like everyday.

I gave it about 10 minutes at 1500 rpm, then let if find idle. Shut it off and changed the oil and filter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've heard mixed reviews, some agreeing with you, but a lot disagreeing...

Messing around in ATR getting a map ready. TGV DTCs deleted, boost targets capped at 8#, WGDCs set to 0, and a 5000 rpm rev limit. Any thoughts?

When mine came out of the build, it was capped at 4000 and no boost. First 1000 miles was tough.

Prosports had an ugly rep going for quite awhile (ending around early last year). Early 2012 they changed engineering and manufacturing to improve quality. I had already moved on from putting in gauges by that time, so never followed up to see if quality stayed good.

Check out Summit Racing or Pegasus Racing. If they are selling gauges, they will be warranting them.

Sounds good. There are many thought's to breaking in a engine.

I just drove on the backroads and kept the rpm's changing. Left the boost set at 21psi. Didn't give it much WOT at anyone time, just short burst without much load, like going down hill.

Do the oil and filter changes and get it properly tuned after 500 miles. I had my Tuner ride along and street tune after the 500 mile oil change. That was the first time the engine had been on the highway.

My big worry was the first start of the engine. As it turned out, I had the key turned to On and few times before the first start. When I finally started it, I did it just like I do every morning and it started just like everyday.

I gave it about 10 minutes at 1500 rpm, then let if find idle. Shut it off and changed the oil and filter.

Sounds good, thanks. :)

When mine came out of the build, it was capped at 4000 and no boost. First 1000 miles was tough.

Prosports had an ugly rep going for quite awhile (ending around early last year). Early 2012 they changed engineering and manufacturing to improve quality. I had already moved on from putting in gauges by that time, so never followed up to see if quality stayed good.

Check out Summit Racing or Pegasus Racing. If they are selling gauges, they will be warranting them.

This is cheap and low key...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/izl-m9114w/overview/

The white LED segments wouldn't look too out of place next to the AEM OLED screen on the WBO2. Better than the "alarm clock red" ones, lol...

My kind of Friday night - hanging out with the inlaws, BSing, doin' work...

Tranny is put back together and back in the car. Driveshaft is back in, both axles are back in, and the brakes are back on.

Just celebrated with some Taco Bell.

Short block will be finished tomorrow (this?) morning :)

They're soooo nice and shiney.... :drool:

Now the fun part huh? Put it all back together!

One thing I should have done... At a minimum, new rubber coolant lines (and turbo oil return), mine we're so 'heat treated' they didn't seal correctly w/ the stock clamps, had to throw some worm gear style hose clamps on to keep it from leaking.

Seriously, I buckled in my short block, and each head :p

Look in' good! Which pistons are those? My wiseco's are LOUD on cold startup.

My CP pistons are the same way, sounds like a damn diesel truck until fully warmed up.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Shiny pistons, did you get a picture of the cross hatch on the wall's ?

I may have missed it, but what was the piston to wall clearance ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

No, not specifically. He recorded all the measurements, but was going to get them written down in a nicer format.

While I'm thinking about it, and somewhat for my own reference later, the pistons are CP model SC7426. Should be 9.0:1 CR.

Stayed up way too late last night cleaning parts. A lot of stuff cleaned up, but most importantly the oil cooler. Went through 1/2 of a can of carb cleaner on that guy.

Archived