LegacyGT.com

New Short Block Time...

Hope many miles on that oil? Looks pretty dirty for just being put together (aside from the bronze stuff floating around).

Also looks like there might be a bit much Fuji bond in the cam oil passage ways?

Were the cams shafts easy to rotate before you put it in the car?

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow that was some quick work! bronzy particles usually are from the turbo journal bearing. does the turbo shaft have any play?

i think valve guides are also bronze. maybe one of those has been damaged?

Turbo is tight in all directions. I thought valve guides too maybe, but my machine shop didn't think so.

Does it look like the same sand casting stuff that someone else recently found in a BNR turbo? Hard to tell on my phone?
I don't think so, these are definitely metallic.

Lots of blow-by?

Did you clean your oil cooler? Oil pan?

Not sure about blow-by, and yes, cleaned them well. Never saw any metallics in either.

They seem VERY localized. The exhaust cam journal is clean as a whistle. It's just between the intake cam journal and the AVCS cam gear. :confused:

think it's possible that the avcs sprocket mechanism had an internal failure? wonder if they are made with any bronze parts?
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

you don't happen to have any logs from after the rebuild, do you? curious if the pass side avcs angle was bouncing around. or maybe just tear apart the sprocket :)
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Can't view the pictures here at work.

Bronze might be from the bearings. Were the crank journals plasti-gauged ?

What are the wrist pin bushings made of ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My metallics look identical to those pictured in this thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2096679

I also drained and carb cleaned the AVCS oil line - mo metallics came out of it. As far as I can tell it's very local to the AVCS gear. AVCS gears are ~$150, OCVs ~$88, I might just replace both, we'll see.

The local Napa has a 5-point Torx for the cam gear - I'm going to pull it apart and see what I find.

I really hope this is the entirety of the issue. I'd be getting off pretty cheaply all things considered :)

Yeah, hopefully the failure is all contained in the AVCS gear. Haven't really heard of that happening, but hey that sure would be nice, relatively speaking.

The link you posted references copper particles, which would be from much different sources than bronze. Copper would indicate main and/or rod bearings.

Did you pull the buckets off of the #1 intake valves? (where you saw the highest concentration of particles) Still wondering if a bent valve chewed up a valve guide - hopefully not though!

Yeah, hopefully the failure is all contained in the AVCS gear. Haven't really heard of that happening, but hey that sure would be nice, relatively speaking.

The link you posted references copper particles, which would be from much different sources than bronze. Copper would indicate main and/or rod bearings.

Did you pull the buckets off of the #1 intake valves? (where you saw the highest concentration of particles) Still wondering if a bent valve chewed up a valve guide - hopefully not though!

Well I think copper/bronze is just referring to the color in general - plus it's hard to tell in oil. I didn't pull the intake buckets, but I will.

As far as I could tell the particles were only in the cam journal, AVCS gear & OCV. I'll take another look to be sure.

I damaged my driver side AVCS gear when I installed it, the oil ports where all screwed up. It doesn't take much to mess up the aluminum. Kept getting the P0021 code when I was breaking in the motor. Thought it was the OCV since it was sticking, so I replaced that. Still the code kept popping up. Pull the cam gear off and that's when I notice the oil ports where focked up.:mad: Bought a new one and everything was back to normal.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Ordered sketchy tools from Amazon, will report back if I regret cheaping out to save $14.
Regret confirmed. Twisted almost immediately, then I tried grinding the bit down to get away from the the center security pin bore, and went a little too far for a good fit. :spin:

Oh well, probably for the best that I'll use a new cam gear. :)

Archived